The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

For any people in 2020 looking back on this thread to try and gauge when the forecasts started predicting the weather we ended up having - it became a possibility 2 weeks before the wednesday (there was a lot of uncertainty due to two fronts fighting it out due to some sort of omega jetstream - it could have either been wet and rainy every day or sweltering and dry.) a week before is when the trend started favouring an all dry festival, though wasn't until we got a few days closer that the threat of rainy days diminished-- there were some bad predictions along the way. 

There hopefully that will save me having to trawl through this thread next year

It won't but top effort all the same. :D

Edit: It was far, far too hot for me. Saturday was mostly spent perched between the road and the ditch near the JP to get some shade. Turns out I lose just as much festival time to hot weather as I do to wet. Maybe more. But I'll take sitting on hard ground every time. Also the first Glasto ever where I've not got sunburn which I'm very proud of, given the conditions. Acres of wafty fabric for the win.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

I just bloody loved it. Dry ground, lovely sunshine, great food, tremendous music, everyone happy, treasured memories that will live with me forever. And not forgetting the weather panic and fear on this thread prior to the festival and how the pilton locals calmed our worst fears in the run up!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I just bloody loved it. Dry ground, lovely sunshine, great food, tremendous music, everyone happy, treasured memories that will live with me forever. And not forgetting the weather panic and fear on this thread prior to the festival and how the pilton locals calmed our worst fears in the run up!! 

Don't forget how nice and cloudy it was for our arrival wednesday morning - made queuing and carrying our stuff so much easier 

On 7/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, ripcurl85 said:

I loved that there were stickers featuring the coat of arms previously featured on this thread around the site. Felt like a very in joke when I tried explaining to my mates. To blank looks. 

My mates totally didn’t get why I sprinted across croissant neuf to hug and congratulate @Bin Fish on his efforts!! 

I miss years with middling weather like 1999, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2014. Where (brief thunderstorm aside!), not a great deal happens. Colder the better for me, since Glastonbury is never actually that cold, at least during the day.

I long for a festival where I can wear a light jacket and sit on the floor, getting only a slightly muddy arse and not have to drink my body weight in water every day. And some springy ground, so my feet don't feel like they're going to fall off during the first headliner of the festival. Oh, what I'd give for springy ground.

This year was perfect weather my arse.

Edit: I can't actually remember how middling 99 and 2000 were. I suspect they were actually pretty good, although I believe there was some rain.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

27 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I miss years with middling weather like 1999, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2014. Where (brief thunderstorm aside!), not a great deal happens. Colder the better for me, since Glastonbury is never actually that cold, at least during the day.

Not sure I'd ever describe 2004 as middling weather. While it wasn't a full on mudbath, it was pretty wet at times and the site got pretty sticky in quite a few places. Combine that with the gales on Wednesday that made setting up a pain with tents flying everywhere and it was on the wrong side of average.

29 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure I'd ever describe 2004 as middling weather. While it wasn't a full on mudbath, it was pretty wet at times and the site got pretty sticky in quite a few places. Combine that with the gales on Wednesday that made setting up a pain with tents flying everywhere and it was on the wrong side of average.

Fair. I ended up in the medical tent twice that year. Once from the sun and once from the mud (badly fitted gaiters when I was under the influence) That's not that middling.

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I long for a festival where I can wear a light jacket and sit on the floor, getting only a slightly muddy arse and not have to drink my body weight in water every day. And some springy ground, so my feet don't feel like they're going to fall off during the first headliner of the festival. Oh, what I'd give for springy ground.

Have you forgotten 2017 already?! Aside from the Wednesday, it was quite cool and I had to wear a light jacket and hoody for most of the rest of the festival- you crave what you already had!

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This year was perfect weather my arse.

Edit: I can't actually remember how middling 99 and 2000 were. I suspect they were actually pretty good, although I believe there was some rain.

2019 and 2010 are my 2 toughest glastonbury's. I coped better with 2019, mainly as I missed acts I wanted to see. In 2010 I was a bit more blasé & just got heatstroke. I am not sure I would have coped if Sunday was as hot as Saturday though. Or I'd have missed Kylie & Miley.. my sunday wouldn't have been as good.

My favourite ever glastonbury's are 2011 & 2016. Not weather wise, but it means I am not bothered by the rain really. It isnt much of a negative. This year comes in at number 3.

37 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Have you forgotten 2017 already?! Aside from the Wednesday, it was quite cool and I had to wear a light jacket and hoody for most of the rest of the festival- you crave what you already had!

It wasn't middling, it was wonderful! And light jacket? Really?

Besides, that Wednesday...

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

2019 and 2010 are my 2 toughest glastonbury's. I coped better with 2019, mainly as I missed acts I wanted to see. In 2010 I was a bit more blasé & just got heatstroke. I am not sure I would have coped if Sunday was as hot as Saturday though. Or I'd have missed Kylie & Miley.. my sunday wouldn't have been as good.

My favourite ever glastonbury's are 2011 & 2016. Not weather wise, but it means I am not bothered by the rain really. It isnt much of a negative. This year comes in at number 3.

To be clear, something like 2017 would be perfection, but a little cooler.

I just miss those "bit of everything (but not too much)" years. We've had three years of extremes in a row.

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I just miss those "bit of everything (but not too much)" years. We've had three years of extremes in a row.

Give me a 2013 every year 

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Madness! 2017 was too cold for me- exactly how cold are you wanting it to be?