The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Absolutely perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing about it. Don’t get me wrong Saturday was hot, really hot but to have not a spec of rain for 5 days is incredible.

It presented a couple of challenges though, on Saturday we made our way to the Vampire weekend secret set at the park, hung around for a bit with the intention of getting right in there but it was just so hot with zero breeze we had to move.

This seems counter intuitive but we then decided to walk up the hill, it was tough but worth it. There was a lovely breeze up there and we sat by trickets and had about five glorious cold pints. We then wondered down to Carl Cox at the Glade. Again it was hot but it was just the sort of vibe we needed at that point. Then some clouds came over and suddenly there was also an amazing cold breeze and that was it, game on for the rest of the day/night.

The other challenge was the bars. I’ve no memory of the bars at Glastonbury ever being nearly as busy in the day, but I guess the heat led to the necessity for water and the desire for a nice cold drink. It just meant spending a long time queuing for drinks and getting even hotter... but as I said I wouldn’t change a thing about the weather. 

I had problems with the heat. It meant that I missed a few acts that I wanted to see. Friday was bad, but Saturday was absolutely brutal. On Friday after Bjorn again I went to the Williams Green & the acoustic for Eavis explains. It was to stay out of the sun.

On Sat, My mate nearly passed out. I watched the proclaimers and spent most in the shade at the glade sat down. I cant say that I enjoyed Saturday afternoon. 2 of my mates went back to the tent. It stopped being enjoyable. 

I have a bad blister on my leg from sunburn. 

Sunday was managable, but wednesday morning was the best weather for me.

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I had problems with the heat. It meant that I missed a few acts that I wanted to see. Friday was bad, but Saturday was absolutely brutal. On Friday after Bjorn again I went to the Williams Green & the acoustic for Eavis explains. It was to stay out of the sun.

On Sat, My mate nearly passed out. I watched the proclaimers and spent most in the shade at the glade sat down. I cant say that I enjoyed Saturday afternoon. 2 of my mates went back to the tent. It stopped being enjoyable. 

Glad you're alive Fuzz, we were all fearing the worst. Agree that Sunday was perfect.

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Glad to hear you survived, sorry you suffered so. The Glade was horrendous then - it's relatively sheltered so there's no breeze. We went to meet a friend but quickly retreated as it was far worse than out in the open. Generally found sitting down and busier areas made it far far worse - standing and moving was far cooler.

17 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I did spare a thought for you as I hunkered down in some shade on Sat afternoon, that was fucking brutal. I'm glistening with after sun currently, absolutely roasted to fuck 

Give me 2016, 100 times over before that Saturday again, it was thoroughly unejoyable weather. Mud just calls for sucking it up and getting on with it, that was ruthless 

I think the thing is about the brutal sun is that it's only a few hours a day that are really unbearable whilst the mud is a constant slog 24 hours a day so although at it's worst the sun is the hardest to deal with I've enjoyed this year and 2010 much more than the muddy years 2011 and 2016.

Saturday was tough going, my girlfriend got heat exhaustion and we ended up sitting inside the shop that sold guitars near Williams green for about 2 hours trying to cool her down.

The main issue was the heat in the tent, which was unbearable after 7am and resulted in very little sleep through the course of the weekend. 

Still an awesome weekend, a bit of cloud cover would have made it a bit more manageable though.

Edited by Dave_c

An absolute stunning weekend!

Not great for young/elderly/disabled and I feel real bad for those who suffered but I will say one thing - We got very lucky with the wind! That breeze was an absolute God send all weekend. 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

First festival I've topped 100km. 100.05km exactly as I got into the taxi this morning. 

Saturday was hot but constantly pouring water over myself got me through the afternoon. Fine apart from that. 

That's what got me through it, everytime I filled my water bottle up I emptied it over my head and soaked my tshirt before refilling to drink.

18 minutes ago, briddj said:

Couldn't believe the Saturday. We were told it was going to cool down on the Sat and be 22. Checked the app on the Friday and it said it was going to be 29, feels like 34! We'd all spent Friday thinking "at least it will be cooler tomorrow."

You starting your GFZ updates for 2020 any time soon?

Amazing weather, probably the best I can remember at Glastonbury.

Granted Saturday was too hot, but we spent the morning driving our kids offsite to be picked up by grandparents, so aircon all the way, then a nice pub lunch just outside the site before coming back in mid afternoon.

It was too hot to do anything at that point, so we just chilled in the shade until the heat went out of the sun.

The rest of the festival was just perfect - sun, breeze, occasional clouds and not a drop of rain!

On 6/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Holy shit, I'm trying to get an early night in my famed Fresh&Black tent and it's fucking sweltering. It's ten to one in the morning too!

This says it all I think!

We were lucky enough to be camped right next to a patch of space and shade behind the Park stage (probably our last time there, the atmosphere took a sharp turn towards Reading this year), and so most of us dragged our sleeping bags out of the tents Friday night for a cool morning away from the glare of the rising sun. Couldn’t’ve faced being inside a tent that morning. I hurt my hand picking up face wipes on one trip back to the tent - it felt like grabbing boil in the bag rice!

I must say though, Wednesday/Thursday/Sunday had pretty much perfect festival weather for me. Just the right amount of breeze and/or cloud cover to keep me comfortable. Saturday in particular was a real struggle at times, my friend had most of her day ruined seeking shade in the Park and it wasn’t until we finally watched the cold front move in from the Stone Circle that evening that things started looking up again.

The usual 3am finish for me meant the tent was cool enough to crash. However, the 8am convection oven effect meant getting up and venturing over to The Wood to set up my high backed chair and neck fan for relief in a patch of shade for the rest of my sleep. On the Saturday just about everyone passing me nudged their mates and said ‘hashtag winning’ or ‘that’s a set up’ or ‘genius’ - I was glad I made the effort.

I wasn’t complaining given I was there in 2016 and have to say 2019 was spectacularly good in comparison!