The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 minute ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Nice one, just bough the 3 man festival blackout. Probably got ripped off, but those extra few hours sleep could be priceless!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Technology-Essential-waterproof-groundsheet/dp/B078PN55S6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=blackout%2Bfestival&qid=1561377795&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&th=1 

Nah, it's not much more than the Decathlon model, and being Coleman may well be better made.

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Stupid question....I have two foil blankets ready to go but I've been trying to figure out how I will get inside the tent to attach the foil to the inner and outersheets :wacko: There's such a tiny gap!

I await a really obvious response which reveals me as being the camping novice I am inside

No clever answers there I'm afraid is different for every tent - but the inner will usually be detachable with toggles or something. This sort of comedy is what Wednesday is for I think

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GMF said:

2015 had really heavy rainstorm late on Friday for about 40 minutes, but other than that it was dru

Aye 2015, apart from the Friday afternoon downpour, was glorious. Low 20s temps throughout. The Thurs and Sat in particular were perfection - better than 2017. Underrated festival in terms of weather. 

3 minutes ago, Nudenut said:

Please somebody give me a weather update, anybody, I have withdrawals.

Looks like there will be some rain overnight, then largely dry for the weekend. How much rain depends on the model. Most of them show the worst of it missing Pilton, average is about 5mm. Some places look like they might get biblical rain 30-40mm! Keep praying, we're almost there. This time tomorrow we'll know the extent of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Here's the 06Z run through!

Pressure: Building to a high through the week before beginning to fall after in the early hours of Saturday. But this run is almost identical to the last run. The low pressure is staying away once again!

Precipitation: Dry until 3am when the chart is still showing the risk of heavy overnight rain. Remember other forecasts are showing this will hit the site to the east. Clearing by lunch with the possibility of afternoon showers.

Still very pleasant for the gates opening with this rain missing the south west. This is how it looks then, 17 degrees and clear.

image.thumb.png.2416164d55ceaa8c46d3fabe67bdade5.png

The festival is once again completely dry with no showers on the Sunday.

If anything I'd say the outlook for even the threat of rain has improved. Compare the last run (right) to the current run (left).

image.thumb.png.794dfdc54f1ebde02a1923cd943b42b2.png

Max Temperature (BBC app temp in brackets): Monday 22 (22), Tuesday 20 (23), Wednesday 19-20 (24), Thursday 22 (26), Friday  25-26 (28), Saturday 22-23 (25), Sunday 20-21 (21)

Summary: Temperatures have again tracked down a tickle in places, so I've now added the BBC app figures in brackets for comparison to what is being reported higher elsewhere.

Still going to be very warm overnight, 19-20 midnight into Friday and 23-24 midnight into Saturday.

One thing that I haven't mentioned previously is that there will be a very good breeze all weekend - especially Wednesday to Friday. This might well be a bonus, but do be cautious as a breeze can lull you into a false sense of security vis a vis the sun and sun burn! Also, we don't really want that dust kicked up too much!

So all in all we are a day closer to having a brilliant festival forecast.

Can I just say that the work you @briddj   (and other stalwarts including @Aragorn ) have done is astonishing. Thank you, it is so much appreciated. Hopefully you will be at the Efests meet up,on Wednesday when liquid payment can be made? Cheers

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, redrog said:

Looks like there will be some rain overnight, then largely dry for the weekend. How much rain depends on the model. Most of them show the worst of it missing Pilton, average is about 5mm. Some places look like they might get biblical rain 30-40mm! Keep praying, we're almost there. This time tomorrow we'll know the extent of it.

Is this a Dewey defeats Truman moment, The Nal has conceded the result, are we in for a last minute shock.

2 hours ago, briddj said:

Here's the 06Z run through!

Pressure: Building to a high through the week before beginning to fall after in the early hours of Saturday. But this run is almost identical to the last run. The low pressure is staying away once again!

Precipitation: Dry until 3am when the chart is still showing the risk of heavy overnight rain. Remember other forecasts are showing this will hit the site to the east. Clearing by lunch with the possibility of afternoon showers.

Still very pleasant for the gates opening with this rain missing the south west. This is how it looks then, 17 degrees and clear.

image.thumb.png.2416164d55ceaa8c46d3fabe67bdade5.png

The festival is once again completely dry with no showers on the Sunday.

If anything I'd say the outlook for even the threat of rain has improved. Compare the last run (right) to the current run (left).

image.thumb.png.794dfdc54f1ebde02a1923cd943b42b2.png

Max Temperature (BBC app temp in brackets): Monday 22 (22), Tuesday 20 (23), Wednesday 19-20 (24), Thursday 22 (26), Friday  25-26 (28), Saturday 22-23 (25), Sunday 20-21 (21)

Summary: Temperatures have again tracked down a tickle in places, so I've now added the BBC app figures in brackets for comparison to what is being reported higher elsewhere.

Still going to be very warm overnight, 19-20 midnight into Friday and 23-24 midnight into Saturday.

One thing that I haven't mentioned previously is that there will be a very good breeze all weekend - especially Wednesday to Friday. This might well be a bonus, but do be cautious as a breeze can lull you into a false sense of security vis a vis the sun and sun burn! Also, we don't really want that dust kicked up too much!

So all in all we are a day closer to having a brilliant festival forecast.

This has to be some sort of a trick! It has to be! Perfect temps, dry AND now a refreshing cooling breeze, what have we done to deserve this?! 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

No we're in the home straight. Glasto prep happening now.

Phew, we got through it everyone well done all!

See you on the 2020 weather thread this fucking October. 

Fuck me ?. Add this to brexit and trump. The world has truly gone mad. 

• Upvote 1

It's the 80th minute. We've dominated possession this half. Since their goal, Sunshine has had a few close opportunities but failed to find the net.

Humidity has just left Thunderstorms on their arse with some incredible skill and surged in the penalty area, only to be cruelly chopped down by Rain. Instant ref card. It's a penalty. 

Humidity has the audacity to attempt a Panenka....

It's in. We're 3-1 up with 10 mins on the clock, plus added time.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I guess it depends how your tent is put together, but I intend to attach the foil to the outside of the inner tent before attaching the outer tent if that makes sense? Read a top tip on here to use pegs instead of duct tapes so will be trying that this year!

I've always attached the foil blankets to the outside of my tent, which is pretty effective. Do they work just as well if you put them on the inner tent bit?

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The link I posted earlier - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-1027136-blackout-tents

I use the popup one, but it's a bitch to put away.

Down-sized this year to the 2 man XL pop-up, after loving the 4 man for the last couple of tests.

Found it excellently easy to put away, with the colour-coded straps.

Selfishly though, I would prefer as few as them as possible on the farm - I can imagine not being able to find it amongst a sea of them...