The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know, I've tried not to become a cliche - but with this weather coming up, it would really help someone out if they bought one.  Presumably other brands are available now, but I don't know much about them.

Fire away - recommendations welcomed please! (Need a new two man anyway)

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I feel the cold quite badly, what do we reckon about those evening temps, doable without a jacket jumper?

For reference I left the house at 6am this morning in just a shirt and was absolutely fine. I’m just thinking it’s one or two less things to carry if I don’t need a jumper/jacket for the evening.

If you're drinking etc then you prob won't feel it. I've stayed up at the SE Corner all night and then walked home in a t-shirt in previous years in non-heatwave conditions. I'd still take one hoodie at least though.

Edited by Homer

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I feel the cold quite badly, what do we reckon about those evening temps, doable without a jacket jumper?

For reference I left the house at 6am this morning in just a shirt and was absolutely fine. I’m just thinking it’s one or two less things to carry if I don’t need a jumper/jacket for the evening.

Cache one in a lock up just in case.

15 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

It's mostly the opacity that does the trick, to UV and IR too which pass in and out most tent fabric easily

They have a silver reflective lining on the inside of the flysheet which reflects the sunlight away from the inner tent keeping it cool and dark.

23 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Decathlon Fresh&Black are game changers. I slept in as long as I wanted in 2017:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-1027136-blackout-tents

This is good news we brought one of these a few weeks ago to appease the rain gods (looks like its working)

having been regular foil heat sheilders for a good few years I've grown to kinda like the noise but I'll see how it goes without it

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

They have a silver reflective lining on the inside of the flysheet which reflects the sunlight away from the inner tent keeping it cool and dark.

I think you mean "Fresh and Black" ?

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

Fire away - recommendations welcomed please! (Need a new two man anyway)

I bought the Arpenaz 3 Man XL version and it was £70 from Decathlon. It's pretty big inside for 1 person, can't stand up in it though - doesn't bother me but it does some people.

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

If the rain continues on it's path, the big rain forecast tonight/ tomorrow morning will hopefully miss the site and hit London. 

Either way, I'm confident it will dry quickly in 24 hours before you guys enter. 

I am more than happy to take one for the team and have a full day of heavy rain in london if it avoids pilton. At least I'll get some wear out of my expensive raincoat I bought to appease the weather gods.

18 minutes ago, briddj said:

Here's the 06Z run through!

Pressure: Building to a high through the week before beginning to fall after in the early hours of Saturday. But this run is almost identical to the last run. The low pressure is staying away once again!

Precipitation: Dry until 3am when the chart is still showing the risk of heavy overnight rain. Remember other forecasts are showing this will hit the site to the east. Clearing by lunch with the possibility of afternoon showers.

Still very pleasant for the gates opening with this rain missing the south west. This is how it looks then, 17 degrees and clear.

image.thumb.png.2416164d55ceaa8c46d3fabe67bdade5.png

The festival is once again completely dry with no showers on the Sunday.

If anything I'd say the outlook for even the threat of rain has improved. Compare the last run (right) to the current run (left).

image.thumb.png.794dfdc54f1ebde02a1923cd943b42b2.png

Max Temperature (BBC app temp in brackets): Monday 22 (22), Tuesday 20 (23), Wednesday 19-20 (24), Thursday 22 (26), Friday  25-26 (28), Saturday 22-23 (25), Sunday 20-21 (21)

Summary: Temperatures have again tracked down a tickle in places, so I've now added the BBC app figures in brackets for comparison to what is being reported higher elsewhere.

Still going to be very warm overnight, 19-20 midnight into Friday and 23-24 midnight into Saturday.

One thing that I haven't mentioned previously is that there will be a very good breeze all weekend - especially Wednesday to Friday. This might well be a bonus, but do be cautious as a breeze can lull you into a false sense of security vis a vis the sun and sun burn! Also, we don't really want that dust kicked up too much!

So all in all we are a day closer to having a brilliant festival forecast.

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975d10a93e456a464f41

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, briddj said:

Can we keep chat about tents to another thread please. This thread is for chat about the weather ONLY.

*Must have been following Netweather to get the hilarious gag.

I think total complacency has set in as there is just nothing to talk about weather related now................ has this ever happened before?

I am used to total panic at this stage and the Nal letting us all know quite how fucked we are.

Is @The Nal OK or has this all been too much for him?

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I think total complacency has set in as there is just nothing to talk about weather related now................ has this ever happened before?

I'm pretty sure 13 or 15 was nailed down almost a week out. Can't remember which though but the ensembles all agreed out across half the timeframe and it didn't shift

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I am used to total panic at this stage and the Nal letting us all know quite how fucked we are.

He is frantically trawling darkest corners of the net for the one forecast that has one spot of rain. There will be one there somewhere.

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Decathlon Fresh&Black are game changers. I slept in as long as I wanted in 2017:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-1027136-blackout-tents

Obviously left this waaay too late, but any ideas where i can buy one of these and get it by tomorrow? nearest Decathlon store is too far away from me, tried to click and collect from Asda but the estimated delivery is the 26th.

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

No we're in the home straight. Glasto prep happening now.

Phew, we got through it everyone well done all!

See you on the 2020 weather thread this fucking October. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 20

43 minutes ago, Homer said:

How much is decent blackout tent please? Need a new one anyway and we'll get our money's worth.

£240 for a 5 man for me and the family. Go to the decathlon site and have a poke around. Coleman also do black out tents but a lot of reviews say that the seams leak in the rain so I'd avoid them.