The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

2 minutes ago, doogie said:

Here's today's updated Weather for the Week Ahead from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00069l3/weather-for-the-week-ahead-24062019

I fear the biggest problem this year will be sleeping, with tents becoming ovens by 8am :unsure:

So the plume has been replaced by a topple in from the north.

4 minutes ago, Magma said:

Even with a good forecast before you set off, leaving your wellies AT HOME is mental.

Forecast was utterly glorious when we arrived in 2005. Over-confidence like this led to the infamous Pyramid Market wellie riot!

I didn't even bring my wellies when I moved to the UK, so confident was I we will have good weather. ?

59 minutes ago, sime said:

I'm getting the train. I always wear my wellies to the site and pack my converse rather than the other way around (which would be rather cumbersome!).

Always better to have some possible mud protection than not.

This every time

4 minutes ago, brain yolk! said:

Has anybody ever found a solution to keeping your tent cool? Heard those reflective blankets are more annoying than they are helpful.

Fresh'n'black tent, or tonnes of ventilation and airflow - the foil sheets are much less annoying if sandwiched between inner and outer rather than on the outside.

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Fresh'n'black tent, or tonnes of ventilation and airflow - the foil sheets are much less annoying if sandwiched between inner and outer rather than on the outside.

Do they still work? I don't know how they work but assumed it might be something to do with reflection... 

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

That foil tip is a good one, but if things are looking as they are now on Tuesday I might have to splash out on a last minute fresh'n'black...

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Do they still work? I don't know how they work but assumed it might be something to do with reflection... 

It's mostly the opacity that does the trick, to UV and IR too which pass in and out most tent fabric easily

Just now, jparx said:

Your Fresh&Black plugs have become an efests meme!

But indeed, they are tremendous.

I know, I've tried not to become a cliche - but with this weather coming up, it would really help someone out if they bought one.  Presumably other brands are available now, but I don't know much about them.

Here's the 06Z run through!

Pressure: Building to a high through the week before beginning to fall after in the early hours of Saturday. But this run is almost identical to the last run. The low pressure is staying away once again!

Precipitation: Dry until 3am when the chart is still showing the risk of heavy overnight rain. Remember other forecasts are showing this will hit the site to the east. Clearing by lunch with the possibility of afternoon showers.

Still very pleasant for the gates opening with this rain missing the south west. This is how it looks then, 17 degrees and clear.

image.thumb.png.2416164d55ceaa8c46d3fabe67bdade5.png

The festival is once again completely dry with no showers on the Sunday.

If anything I'd say the outlook for even the threat of rain has improved. Compare the last run (right) to the current run (left).

image.thumb.png.794dfdc54f1ebde02a1923cd943b42b2.png

Max Temperature (BBC app temp in brackets): Monday 22 (22), Tuesday 20 (23), Wednesday 19-20 (24), Thursday 22 (26), Friday  25-26 (28), Saturday 22-23 (25), Sunday 20-21 (21)

Summary: Temperatures have again tracked down a tickle in places, so I've now added the BBC app figures in brackets for comparison to what is being reported higher elsewhere.

Still going to be very warm overnight, 19-20 midnight into Friday and 23-24 midnight into Saturday.

One thing that I haven't mentioned previously is that there will be a very good breeze all weekend - especially Wednesday to Friday. This might well be a bonus, but do be cautious as a breeze can lull you into a false sense of security vis a vis the sun and sun burn! Also, we don't really want that dust kicked up too much!

So all in all we are a day closer to having a brilliant festival forecast.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5