The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

It all depends what wins vis a vis low pressure vs. high pressure at the weekend. High pressure currently still just in front - but as you can see from the temperature drop on the Sunday we are not out of the woods. If that low takes control then we could yet be in the shit. Ideally over the next few runs we will see high pressure be a bit more dominant to give us some cause for additional confidence. 

So are thunderstorms causes when the low wrestles back control, or is prolonged high pressure intrinsically unstable and thus likely to cause storms even if low pressure stays away?

Asking for a friend 

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

So are thunderstorms causes when the low wrestles back control, or is prolonged high pressure intrinsically unstable and thus likely to cause storms even if low pressure stays away?

Asking for a friend 

Ideally we would be in the middle of a lovely plume of high pressure.

If we use this chart as an example, imagine the low pressure is further south on Sunday (or in fact earlier than that). You can see the knife-edge.

image.png.e157a63f5bf31cdbd43a998fbd6c2fa1.png

1 hour ago, beege89 said:

OK have just bought my camping gear,  except wellies.  Do you reckon I should bother about buying wellies?

Defo..my mate didn't in 2005 and spent half the festival with plastic bags on his feet. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best

44 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Its the 60th minute. After more sustained pressure, we've hit them on the counter. Humidity crosses the ball and Sunshine absolutely rifles a bullet header into the top corner. 

We're 2-1 up.

Love the thought of Sunshine getting up like a salmon at the back post to head the positive people into the lead..... made me smile 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark_ovens said:

These all seem to be based on the same Met Office statement. Appears we're not out of the woods yet. @briddj what say you and how come this isn't apparent on the info we've all been looking at?

The info posted here is the GFS operational run. I'd be checking the ukmo and ecmwf now we are almost in the reliable timeframe along with the Euro4 as these rend to be more accurate

Currently driving down to site and it's just been lashing it down near Bristol. Seems to be dying down getting further south so hopefully the site missed the majority of that. Judging by the pics and videos of the site earlier it will be alright