The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

How was Download, weather-wise in the end?  I saw lots of terrible build up for the weather, but didn't see anything about it afterwards.  Was it a washout?

It rained persistently from Tuesday evening through to Friday. After which it continued to shower with Sunday evening and Monday being the driest.

Conditions under foot really varied a lot Donington is tarmac so these areas were fine whilst the village and some campsites (black and gold especially) really suffered.

another big problem with the weather at download was the hills some of the stages are very steep and where people like to mosh there was lots of falling over.

tl;dr it was bad but I survived and it didn’t really affect my weekend 

1 hour ago, GregsyA said:

I'm bringing a tube of Zeros along, they are tablets which you add to your water, they add electrolytes.  I normally use them for long runs or bike rides.

https://highfive.co.uk/product/hydration/zero/

I got these yesterday in home bargain £2.99 with a free highfive sports bottle and caffeine shot. Bargain

1 minute ago, Radi0Head said:

It rained persistently from Tuesday evening through to Friday. After which it continued to shower with Sunday evening and Monday being the driest.

Conditions under foot really varied a lot Donington is tarmac so these areas were fine whilst the village and some campsites (black and gold especially) really suffered.

another big problem with the weather at download was the hills some of the stages are very steep and where people like to mosh there was lots of falling over.

tl;dr it was bad but I survived and it didn’t really affect my weekend 

Ah ok.  I didn't realise some of it was tarmac.  I've never been.  Is it held in the actual race circuit, then?

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

Still a bit too hot for me, but this is much more managable.... drop it all by a couple degrees and Ill be very happy.

If it's as this run says, Friday will be hard work, but 25 is a damn sight better than 30.

That’s max temps. Realistically could be low 20s all festival. 

Apologies for my confusion but there are so many models, forecasts etc floating about at the minute it's hard to keep up or even know what to believe but... 

What are we thinking the rainfall looks like (and indeed any subsequent weather) leading up to people arriving on Wednesday and Thursday? I suppose the question is more what is the ground likely to be like across the Wednesday and Thursday for people arriving?

7 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Apologies for my confusion but there are so many models, forecasts etc floating about at the minute it's hard to keep up or even know what to believe but... 

What are we thinking the rainfall looks like (and indeed any subsequent weather) leading up to people arriving on Wednesday and Thursday? I suppose the question is more what is the ground likely to be like across the Wednesday and Thursday for people arriving?

Some rain today, possibly light now. Some on and off tomorrow, possibly heavy overnight into tues. Then dry, warming up through to very warm Friday.  Dry over weekend at moment. Could change. 

Here's the GFS 06Z.

High pressure: Same as before in that it is high until it starts to slip away on Friday but higher pressure. Very similar to the previous run, but again the pressure is not quite as high on the Sunday.
Precipitation: Some rain today from 3pm through until the early hours of Monday. Dry on Monday, but the torrential rain is now back in the early hours of Tuesday. But it clears after 9am and has the whole day to dry. However, temperatures downgraded very slightly again for Tuesday to just 20.
It's then dry all day Wednesday, and this is what it looks like when the gates open:

image.thumb.png.a5c57fa05086e62d85d86c4cf68af4dd.png
Festival is again completely dry all the way through.
This is how we look on Saturday afternoon, for instance:

image.thumb.png.ea1d1c6b085078dfda370db5db3a667a.png

Temperatures: Today 21, Monday 21-22, Tuesday 20, Wednesday 22, Thursday 23, Friday 25, Saturday 22-23, Sunday 19-20

Summary: So the heavy rain overnight on Tuesday is back again, but it is impossible to say how much it will be and where it will hit. And temperatures of 20 on the Tuesday are great for drying too. It's not like anyone is going to be trudging over the grass.

Slight worry that temps have notched down again at the start of this week - wouldn't want that trend to continue as we go through the runs.

And there is still uncertainly about where the low will actually be at the weekend.

But, right now, we still have perfect festival conditions. But I'd still prefer 21 on Sunday, as we're currently below the seasonal average for that day.

• Upvote 1