The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

3 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

A well water-proofed pair of good boots is just as good as wellies. I wore boots all weekend at download last week which had ample rain and mud. Feet stayed dry but needed to reproof my boots on coming home.

Walking boots > wellies for sure!  Its so nice to not need to bring both!!

I only wore wellies at download as I needed them at first and I didn't want to have to re-waterproof my boots AND clean my wellies.  Win win!!!

3 minutes ago, marcwilson87 said:

Just watched gavs most recent video on the bus to London.

Fair to say we can now say with some certainty it's going to be hot, humid, probably cloudy with some heavy downpours and storms. I'm happy with that 

Temps have been significantly downgraded since the charts Gav's video was based on. It's changed a bit. 

Just had a look at the BBC's five day animated forecast thingy. Literally the only rain they're forecasting all week is later today, but Pilton looks to be right on the edge of it. It's a perfect forecast ?

I expect we'll get caught in a storm or two at some point over the festival, but damn is the weather looking good! 

Just had a look through the 00z. Does it get any better?

No rain & lower 20s during the day. Perfect festival weather.

And the heavy rain and thunderstorms of Monday night have swung decisively eastwards. Crucial for those of us who are arriving on Monday.

Will still be wearing my wellies (hidden under my jeans I might add!) to the site via train as it's always best to bring whatever dry footwear you choose to wear. 'Just in-case'

But have to say, that after rather enjoying reading this thread over the past few weeks, I doubt I will really need to wear them. Which is quite a surprise considering the way things were going.

So thank you weather experts on here. You have all been, as always every year, excellent (que Bill and Ted guitar riff) ?

10 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

A well water-proofed pair of good boots is just as good as wellies. I wore boots all weekend at download last week which had ample rain and mud. Feet stayed dry but needed to reproof my boots on coming home.

Yeah, I’m working on the theory that we are now at the stage where it will definitely be better than it was a Download last weekend and that was boots(not wellies) all weekend.

10 minutes ago, marcwilson87 said:

Just watched gavs most recent video on the bus to London.

Fair to say we can now say with some certainty it's going to be hot, humid, probably cloudy with some heavy downpours and storms. I'm happy with that 

Not fair to say that with some certainty, latest models are showing dry and sunny but not too hot (20c)- gav's video was based on the previous days modelling. So basically it's still uncertain! But trending in a nicer direction- hopefully it stays this way

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Not fair to say that with some certainty, latest models are showing dry and sunny but not too hot (20c)- gav's video was based on the previous days modelling. So basically it's still uncertain! But trending in a nicer direction- hopefully it stays this way

I'm not a weatherman but that seems to be the trend doesnt it? So it's likely to be hot and humid but we cant be certain how much rain is going to be mixed into that?

Never paid attention to the weather forecasts in this detail before so I'm a proper novice haha

14 minutes ago, karaseen said:

Walking boots > wellies for sure!  Its so nice to not need to bring both!!

I only wore wellies at download as I needed them at first and I didn't want to have to re-waterproof my boots AND clean my wellies.  Win win!!!

How was Download, weather-wise in the end?  I saw lots of terrible build up for the weather, but didn't see anything about it afterwards.  Was it a washout?

How likely is it to be in the lower 20’s though as met office are still stating 28 degrees and I’m not sure how my very untanned skin is going to cope. Factor 50 and umbrella will be in constant use and feel like I’m going to miss a lot of the daytime stuff being stuck in the shade. 

2 minutes ago, D-Low said:

feel like I’m going to miss a lot of the daytime stuff being stuck in the shade. 

that's why carrying your own is exactly the right move, you got this.

plenty of water and salty things too to handle the sweating and you'll still see it all - will just be a bit cheaper with less booze

5 minutes ago, D-Low said:

How likely is it to be in the lower 20’s though as met office are still stating 28 degrees and I’m not sure how my very untanned skin is going to cope. Factor 50 and umbrella will be in constant use and feel like I’m going to miss a lot of the daytime stuff being stuck in the shade. 

BBC agree with lower temps. ECM model starting to agree with GFS on that as well apparently.

5 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Take some Berocca and plonk one in your bottle of water each time you fill it up.  It will taste better and keep your electrolytes and salts up whilst rehydrating.  Keep your sunscreen topped up and wear a hat.  You'll feel hot, sure, but following these easy things will keep you in top shape and keep your energy up.  

So many people just suffer in the heat because they don't look after themselves.  As long as you protect your skin and your guts, you'll be just fine!  You got this!

4 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

Take some Berocca and plonk one in your bottle of water each time you fill it up.  It will taste better and keep your electrolytes and salts up whilst rehydrating

Berocca doesn't contain electrolytes, it won't help with that at all - but they are nice and do seem to brighten me up a bit.