The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

11 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Welcome to Glastonbury 20193A26E0F6-A33F-418F-9DC7-BF05F969EBEC.png.cbc93d8c2a7254c24b859cbaa1698cb0.png

This just made mine and my girlfriends bus journey! We're literally going over London Bridge right now and the sun is gloriously reflecting off of the Thames. Crazy to think the weather predictions are so varied. 

Edited by Familiar2billions

1 hour ago, briddj said:

So here's the 12Z. Can we start to go back up the rollercoaster?

Pressure: Building in through the week as we've always seen. But a huge improvement here as we no longer see the low winning out through Thursday. Here's a comparison between runs, and as you can see the right panel (latest run) keeps the UK in the red rather than the lower pressure orange creeping in and beginning to break up the high pressure.

image.thumb.png.dd4418e66d50f33d0a4dff4b194064df.png

The low pressure does start to make inroads by Friday evening, but it is now just a glancing blow for the south of the UK.

Precipitation: As usual, dry to tomorrow at 3pm rain the rain comes in but and sticks around to Monday lunchtime. None of it is the really heavy stuff we've seen in past runs though. 

This is how it looks when the gates open on Wednesday - the band of heavy rain shown is tracking the channel and doesn't hit the southwest mainland. There could be some morning showers for Somerset but shouldn't amount to much.

image.thumb.png.2c0917d86f6162ea3eea1c8794b743d6.png

After those possible morning showers on Wednesday, there is no rain showing for the whole festival!

The first day of the festival is going to be sweltering (see below)! And it is showing as 25-26 degrees at midnight, and it's back to that again by 9am Saturday...

image.thumb.png.4dafcb8b34b1ca352a11fe45beab8b85.png

There is a heavy band of rain on Saturday which is showing as hitting north Wales and north west, so we just need to be wary of that.

Look at the temperature!

image.thumb.png.715783655b0c50efb5fcce149ea31d5a.png

Max Temperature: Sunday 19, Monday 20-21, Tuesday 23-24, Wednesday 23-24, Thursday 24, Friday 27-28, Saturday 29-30, Sunday 19-20

Summary: This is a massively improved run, and at last the GFS is getting back in line with the ECM. It's not quite aligning, as the low pressure does still fight back over the weekend. But now it does not bring the weather fronts in, though it is much cooler (will be a relief!) on the Sunday.

So bar perhaps some Wednesday morning showers, we are currently BACK ON TRACK. Let's hope the pockets of rain that are around, and currently not showing to hit the south west, stay the hell away.

See you back here at 11.20.....

I love you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I think there’s a couple of meteorologists sat in a room somewhere laughing at us. 

“Oh go on.... make it show them it’s pissing down again on the next run”

and bumping fists whilst reading this thread.

D2i-SZ6WsAU0pcd.jpeg

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

The trend is set - it’s gonna be proper hot. Two questions remain - how long will it last and will we be hit by thunderstorms and torrential rain showers - and no forecasting is going to pick that. 

Thunderstorms has always been on the cards. That won't change. But after a couple of rough days, we are back on track. Come at me glastonbury!