The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Just checked the webcam and it's looking good, suns out on the site drying out any rain from the last week.

It's dry enough for the tractors to be out cutting silage in the fields with no signs of them churning up the ground. and the muddy track by the pyramid is looking a nice shade of light brown.

14 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Was camping in Tom's Field with Oxfam in 2005 and remember amongst the lashing the mobile mast in the corner of the field being taken out. Some stages were also taken out iirc, down in C&T? The lashing we were getting was incredible, with rain driven by a severe wind (microburst?). Afterwards in the crew canteen we were sitting at tables where there were flash streams running through the marquee and right under the tables and chairs.

Yes, even the Pyramid stage didn't start until mid afternoon iirc when the Thrills came on, due to the flooding. 

The night before...

P1010073.thumb.JPG.fcac69473b7e3b4398eb7ec8866710f8.JPG

The morning after...

P1010096.thumb.JPG.526426edd286a78873d4fc1f2c3c4995.JPGP1010129.thumb.JPG.6913cbcaa17d8aa9f6ac8c26a0efda95.JPG

Fantastic year though

Edited by dingbat2

Hard to keep up with all this. I’m in London where it’s very warm. Proper shorts and t-shirt weather. On my way here I was warned the weather was awful. Now it’s going to be a heatwave at Glastonbury?

F6E936E2-BD5F-489D-A3F4-B228B543B1B6.thumb.png.e31f67b88b558fc16528acc23e3b5cd5.png

?

Edited by kalifire

I wasn't there in '05 but a friend was. She called me on the fri morning to find out what was happening cos it was too apocalyptic to leave the tent. She called right as Jo Whiley said on the radio that the JP had been hit by lightning. My advice was to put the phone down immediately and just get wasted.

Just now, kalifire said:

Hard to keep up with all this. I’m in London where it’s very warm. Proper shorts and t-shirt weather. On my way here I was warned the weather was awful. Now it’s going to be a heatwave at Glastonbury? ?

Yep possible thunderstorms though so we are praying the pilton force field holds up

45 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I wore runners all Friday.  There were massive queues everywhere that sold wellies / they were running out of sizes.  I got up early Saturday, watched the Lions game at the pyramid and then got some wellies.  Possibly could have gotten away with it at that point :) 

I was involved in a wellie riot at Joe Bananas. Not joking. People started getting a bit rowdy (basically due to mismanagement of the queue by Joe Bananas staff) and the police moved in and I ended up pressed up against a riot shield. I did eventually get some wellies though.

10 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

I was involved in a wellie riot at Joe Bananas. Not joking. People started getting a bit rowdy (basically due to mismanagement of the queue by Joe Bananas staff) and the police moved in and I ended up pressed up against a riot shield. I did eventually get some wellies though.

Wow! Had no idea that happened.

I remember telling my mate on Thursday when it was scorching he needed to get his wellies from the car before morning. Refused to believe weather could change so drastically.

Then woke up 8am Friday with a two foot deep lake to get through by John Peel to get back to his car. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Gentle reminder.

The storm that made shit of Glasto 05 didn't appear in any forecasts until the Sunday before. 

This early celebratory atmosphere on here is naive in the extreme. 

With the new Shakespeare stage in mind, Henry 2

will no one rid me of this turbulent priest? 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Gentle reminder.

The storm that made shit of Glasto 05 didn't appear in any forecasts until the Sunday before. 

This early celebratory atmosphere on here is naive in the extreme. 

The weather forecast we looked at on the Monday before 05 said there would just be a bit of rain on the Friday morning, and it was so hot on the Thursday that we were all quite looking forward to a bit of water from the sky to cool us down........

'Be careful what you wish for' was uttered a few times by us all during the legendary thunderstorm of 05!

23 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

I watched the end of this unfold with chants of WELLIES WELLIES WELLIES WELLIES as a truckload got delivered, incredible year really

30 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Hard to keep up with all this. I’m in London where it’s very warm. Proper shorts and t-shirt weather. On my way here I was warned the weather was awful. Now it’s going to be a heatwave at Glastonbury?

You've been in Britain before right? This is what it does

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Adammm said:

The weather forecast we looked at on the Monday before 05 said there would just be a bit of rain on the Friday morning, and it was so hot on the Thursday that we were all quite looking forward to a bit of water from the sky to cool us down........

'Be careful what you wish for' was uttered a few times by us all during the legendary thunderstorm of 05!

I remember as I was setting my tent up, a guy next to me said 'we're not meant to get any rain at all this year!' I was camped facing uphill on Pennards. 

When I woke up on the Friday morning with three inches of rain runnimg through my tent I got out and he was stood by his tent shaking his head. Then we both looked at each other and laughed hysterically for five minutes. It was all you could do really.

Edited by Duggyfresh44
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Put it this way. I'm in (I assume a different bit of) London, just needed a coat on my lunch break and am looking at gathering DARK clouds forming over the Canary Wharf towers.

32 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

Sounds incriminating :)

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

I wore runners all Friday.  There were massive queues everywhere that sold wellies / they were running out of sizes.  I got up early Saturday, watched the Lions game at the pyramid and then got some wellies.  Possibly could have gotten away with it at that point :) 

I brought our wellies in 2005. Arrived to baking heat on Weds so left them in the car.  Walked all the way back to car from Pennards (just up from the flooded area) barefoot on Friday morning. Passed as much as poss thru other campsites to stay off hard ground.  Was quite amazing - though sad - seeing actual fast-flowing rivers running through various campsites.

33 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

I was in that too. Came away traumatised, yet relieved, clutching my new Dunlops.

1 minute ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I remember as I was setting my tent up, a guy next to me said 'we're not meant to get any rain st all this year!' I was camped facing uphill on Pennards. 

When I woke up on the Friday morning with three inches of rain runnimb through my tent I got out and he was stood by his tent shaking his head. Then we both looked at each other and laughed hysterically for five minutes. It was all you could do really.

I remember we all just started drinking pretty much straight away. It seemed like the obvious thing to do at the time. Friday wasn't too bad as the mud was wet and easy to wade through but the Saturday was really hard work. The mud had thickened and each footstep was a struggle. I'll never forget waking up on the Sunday though and the ground was virtually dry and then later that day I was sat on completely dry ground watching The Wailers on the Jazzworld Stage (West Holts) as the sun went down. It was as if the storm had never happened!

Just had a huge surge of excitement whilst typing this! I love it that i still feel the same crazy levels of enthusiasm for Glastonbury that I did 14 years ago.?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I watched the end of this unfold with chants of WELLIES WELLIES WELLIES WELLIES as a truckload got delivered, incredible year really

I was one of the disappointed gathered around Joe Bananas like a refugee that year. Didn't get any, but soon afterwards I didn't care. The signs are it will more quickly this year.