The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

8 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Hmm... so are we looking at a potential 2005 (baking hot, mother of all storms for a day then dry), with a possibility of an upgrade to 2010?

I'd take that.  2005 was my first and I was amazed at how well the site recovered post-flood.  I was comparing it to a muddy Reading the previous year, when they knew the site was buggered before gates opened but aside from trying to pump the fields a bit they seemed to achieve nothing.  Since 2005 the infrastructure of Glastonbury will have improved massively, so all good :) 

18 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I totally agree.  Everyone has been been saying "Nooo, not another 2007/2016!  We're all fucked!".  Now, as soon as the sun is forecast it's, "Nooo!  Not another 2010! We're all fucked!"

It's summer, people!  Finally!

Have you not learned yet that people are rarely happy in this thread? There's always a reason for doom (not a reference to @FuzzyDunlop by the way who has been clear about genuine heat issues all along).

Hell, last night people were getting the festival closed down on health and safety grounds! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briddj said:

Have you not learned yet that people are rarely happy in this thread? There's always a reason for doom (not a reference to @FuzzyDunlop by the way who has been clear about genuine heat issues all along).

Hell, last night people were getting the festival closed down on health and safety grounds! 

please can you change your picture to david brent, i'm still so upset that it's not him after thinking it was for so long

Rain - unpleasent discomfort, general sense of "this is shite" || Unrelenting Wednesday 2017 temps - health at risk. There is a difference.

Allow people the chance to speak their minds and express their concerns without descending into pithy "chill out/we'll be grand" banality.

Cheers. Up the Reds.

• Upvote 6

Just now, Padgey said:

It's gonna be a belter.  I'm packing the swimming shorts now and going to dive into the sea off the Pier!

Be careful mind from photos I've seen there are long drops off one side of the pier....you dont want to go swimming in those 

• Upvote 1

As an Irish person absolutely rubbish in anything over 20 degrees, the thoughts of 30+ temps scare the bejaysis out of me.  But I'll be well prepared with all of the things and will plough on through regardless and will have just as good a time as I would have in 2016 like conditions. 

Also, there is nothing like that feeling as the evening rolls in and the temperatures drop .. the place comes alive again.  2010 was magical in the evenings.  Bring.It.On !!!!  

1 hour ago, briddj said:

This morning's 00Z update then!

Pressure: High pressure peaking on Wednesday, in control until overnight into Saturday when it starts to slip away. Unfortunately the low pressure pocket does now take charge through into Sunday rather than the high fighting back as well. This is a downgrade for sure. The fight back does begin on Sunday but is only effective into Monday - will it edge forward again? And what does it mean for us?

Here's how it now looks at midnight on Sunday with the south of the UK in yellow rather than red.

image.png.e216e0e4d1cd8cb2ce7e0e353d95cb8e.png

Precipitation: Completely dry untl 3pm this Sunday, continuing the consistent theme. Minimal rain Sunday into Monday, nothing of note. Small amount of overnight Monday and into Tuesday (not much heavy rain hits further west) and this would dry up in no time at all.

Now dry overnight Tuesday, and this is how it looks when the gates open. Dry with temps of 25(!).

image.thumb.png.114ad72f29a00797ea079d9b420887f6.png

Now completely dry until Saturday morning when there is a nasty pocket of rain all day that day - but this has already changed from last night and will almost certainly change again.

image.thumb.png.767f3b176708b94ec7e1965d06e6be5f.png

Some more heavy stuff from the same band showing overnight into Sunday, then essentially dry on Sunday in the day, maybe some showers.

Max Temperature: Saturday 19-20, Sunday 22, Monday 23-24, Tuesday 27-28, Wednesday 30-31, Thursday 30-31, Friday 27-28,  Saturday 25-26, Sunday 18

Summary: So again the huge temperatures next midweek looked locked in and indeed keep coming up. The different in temperature on the Sunday when the low has moved through is huge!

We have the pocket of rain on Saturday to be concerned about. BUT remember the Sunday-Monday rain, the Monday-Tuesday rain and the Wedneday rain have all disappeared as days have gone by. It can all change again and the high pressure can, and almost certainly will, shift once more.

@briddj  - you are an absolute legend for all these updates. Makes it easy for the likes of me. Love your work and hope you enjoyed Hot Chip last night.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Lol, people have been asking for a sunny and hot festival for months and now 30 is too much to cope. Every festival in southern Europe has higher temperatures and everyone survives. 

Most of them don’t get going til 4-5pm. They don’t tend to start at 11 so you are out right through the midday & the whole day!

At Sziget the temperatures were high but there was plenty of shade for between acts. Shade is in short supply at Glastonbury.