The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 minute ago, desm0nd123 said:

It's what I heard through a friend of a friend who works for an events company which do the health and safety for glasto. It did sound unbelievable yes I agree, but it's a pretty good source.

Certainly at this point I wouldn't want to be seen as scaremongering, it's going to be ok and the weather will be lovely! 

You may recall we had a three month long heatwave last summer, no festivals were cancelled. What about all the European festivals? What about burning man?

No way in hell do they even contemplate cancelling Glastonbury because it’s 32 degrees!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, desm0nd123 said:

It was 32 degrees Wednesday 2017 and that was seriously hot. There was a huge cheer when the sun finally set among the horizon. Still, would much prefer baking hot than loads of rain! 

I heard if the Thursday that year was as hot as Wednesday, then they were potentially going to pull the plug on it. So many had heat exhaustion due to poor preparation for the heat. 

Let's hope everyone is sensible and wears appropriate clothing and brings plenty of water and sun cream this year! 

Yeah I remember it well! I spent the whole day in the shade (as best I could) but still being absolutely knackered due to heatstroke. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You may recall we had a three month long heatwave last summer, no festivals were cancelled. What about all the European festivals? What about burning man?

No way in hell do they even contemplate cancelling Glastonbury because it’s 32 degrees!

My reaction was the same as yours when I heard it afterwards! Sounds ridiculous, but apparently there was over 500 causes of exhaustion/heat stroke due to the temperature and it was putting a huge strain on the medical staff who were simply overrun. Like I said though, it was through a reliable source, albeit somewhat unbelievable.

31 minutes ago, Razza_bezza said:

Absolutely no chance they would pull the plug cause it’s too hot ?? I heard they contemplated building a igloo over the whole of the site to keep everyone cool and counteract the heat exhaustion, not sure if that’s true though ?

that igloo story was totally fake news, what they were going to do was move the festival underground to allow the cows to continue grazing, but tests resulted in Beyonce's Crazy in love disrupting a quaker meeting in Shepton Mallet (that's enough now...)....

• Upvote 1

Just been sent this from my source on site. Apparently Michael's so certain the weather will be decent they've been on the shrooms all night and 3 people have ran all the way to Bridgewater thinking they're being chased by trolls looking like Nal wielding pitchforks shouting "we're fu**ed"

Image result for michael eavis

Edited by JoeyT
  • Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, desm0nd123 said:

My reaction was the same as yours when I heard it afterwards! Sounds ridiculous, but apparently there was over 500 causes of exhaustion/heat stroke due to the temperature and it was putting a huge strain on the medical staff who were simply overrun. Like I said though, it was through a reliable source, albeit somewhat unbelievable.

From what I remember most of the problems were with people queuing to get in, my sister was in the queue at the time and she said it was bad. Surely it would make no sense at all to eventually get everyone in and then immediately ask them to get in line and drag all their heavy gear out in the scorching sun.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, not a solution. 

Too Hot????  for fucks sake up here weve had the heating on, i went out last night with gloves and a wooly hat. Bedding plants in the garden are cowering in their moss ridden damp planters. The ducks in the river next to us are whizzing past at 50mph riding the torrents of water,

and folk are worried about too hot????  Factor 50, plenty rehydration, sun hats,  watch alcohol consumption and have wellies and ponchos at the ready.   Sorted!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, desm0nd123 said:

It's what I heard through a friend of a friend who works for an events company which do the health and safety for glasto. It did sound unbelievable yes I agree, but it's a pretty good source.

Certainly at this point I wouldn't want to be seen as scaremongering, it's going to be ok and the weather will be lovely! 

This is bollocks because the health and safety is done in house, and not by an events team. 

1 hour ago, desm0nd123 said:

It was 32 degrees Wednesday 2017 and that was seriously hot. There was a huge cheer when the sun finally set among the horizon. Still, would much prefer baking hot than loads of rain! 

I heard if the Thursday that year was as hot as Wednesday, then they were potentially going to pull the plug on it. So many had heat exhaustion due to poor preparation for the heat. 

Let's hope everyone is sensible and wears appropriate clothing and brings plenty of water and sun cream this year! 

That’s clearly not true. 

2 minutes ago, kleinerkiwi said:

Too hot? How do you think they make festivals in southern Europe happen? Someone might even say that they have festivals in Australia in baking heat! Just stay hydrated and cool down.

TBF don't those festivals start and finish much later? Mad Cool main stages start around 6pm and end at 3am. The whole thing is designed around the heat.

6 minutes ago, sonicforest? said:

How hot was 2010? All I remember is at one point I had my head under a camping chair for some shade  

bloody hot - loads of lobster pink people walking about - some people have no common sense