The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

6 minutes ago, joeruss said:

Is there a reason why most of the weather websites & apps are still showing rain and temps around 23-24c?

Are they not all using the same data?

Most will not be using the most recent run of the charts, and will also look at a spread of them rather than a single one (so likely to be less than what the GFS is saying). BUT the GFS has been saying this is going to happen all week, and one by one all the other models are getting on board. Temps slowly rising on the apps and forecasts.

1 minute ago, briddj said:

Most will not be using the most recent run of the charts, and will also look at a spread of them rather than a single one (so likely to be less than what the GFS is saying). BUT the GFS has been saying this is going to happen all week, and one by one all the other models are getting on board. Temps slowly rising on the apps and forecasts.

When's the next run- 18:00pm??

6 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Yes - And that's too F**king hot! I want mid 20's and some light showers to keep the dust down. 30+ and a long day out in the sun with lots of alcohol and other substances is going to be deadly.

But it's Glastonbury and I have a ticket so it'll rain - "There I've said it...."

Anybody know the boiling point of MDMA

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, joeruss said:

Did not know this!

We all congregated in the Beat Hotel on the Weds afternoon which felt like a sauna..

We just stumbled across it, went through the woods but all shade spots were taken, found ourselves at JPT and it was bliss!

25 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

if it is really hot would the festival consider opening the likes of the JP Tent, Leftfield, BBC Introducing etc... so people can shelter from the heat in there? 

Fwiw, I would one million percent settle for hot weather over rain and mud (and I’m basically ginger). 

At 38 to 42 degrees, being in the tents might not help much, as the air will be hot- it would be stifling. I was in Varanasi when it was 42 degrees, and it just felt like a hair drier being blown in your face! 

I don't think those ridiculous temps will come to pass and we better hope they don't as that kind of heat would be classed as a risk to life! (especially younger and older people) 

1 minute ago, Wallace said:

Do we genuinely have the possibility of a dry hot festival at this stage?  I've been in 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016 (missed out on the two years that everyone seems to bang on about being the best weather-wise, 2013, 2017).

Definitely. Not in the bag yet but increasingly likely.

43 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I'm no fan of high heat either, I just melt. Get a parasol brolly with full UV protection and the shiny top to reflect all the IR it can, and look at the UV proof hot weather trekking trousers and wicking uv proof hiking tops - with a constant supply of water you can be effectively out of the sun in a nice breeze and a drink anywhere and it's all ok.

Have checked the rest of this stuff in a Utah summertime, but the brolly is a major upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. The issue with a brolly is the fact I can't use it when watching acts, but thanks I will look into he rest.

The lack of breeze and Shade made Glastonbury '10 very tough.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don't think those ridiculous temps will come to pass and we better hope they don't as that kind of heat would be classed as a risk to life! (especially younger and older people) 

Yeah - I don't know if the fest has similar sort of contingencies for providing shade in excessive heat as it does for drainage and wood chip in excessive rain...

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

At 38 to 42 degrees, being in the tents might not help much, as the air will be hot- it would be stifling. I was in Varanasi when it was 42 degrees, and it just felt like a hair drier being blown in your face! 

Oh man, Varanasi was INTENSE.  I've never felt heat quite like it.  It was one of the last places I visited before going back to Goa so couldn't afford a room with a/c.  Unfortunately the room I was in was right in the corner of the building that got ALL of the sun so the walls were like massive radiators which were still hot to touch through the night.  I even burned my mouth with my toothpaste one morning!

Absolutely mental place though. Ended up staying there two weeks and learned how to play the sitar. Half the lessons would be learning traditional ragas and the other  half I'd working out how to play Enter Sandman because I wanted to make a cover band called MetalliSitar and open with Sikh and destroy.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What's the difference?

According to google:

The heat index, also known as the apparent temperature, is what the temperature feels like to the human body when relative humidity is combined with the air temperature.