The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

35 minutes ago, rubick said:

I've been trying to rain-test a new Craghopper lightweight jacket all week in Co Antrim here - despite there being deluges all around Belfast and further north than where we live I haven't caught a rain shower yet. This jacket's rain-proofing is clearly on a different level in as much as it is clearing clouds above me so it's 100% coming to Somerset in the bag. 

What!? It's been monsoon season here! Get the bbq out, that should guarantee a shower 

Just now, GWR said:

What!? It's been monsoon season here! Get the bbq out, that should guarantee a shower 

Swear to fuck mate, we've been out for a dander (up next Ballyclare) every night this week around teatime. Not a drop! Even though it's pelting it down on the M2 heading up home, the ground is dry at ours. Might just fire the pan on the night! 

5 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Is it wrong that I'd prefer normal weather over record breaking temps?  Don't get me wrong, I love the heat but I like it when I'm poolside with a cocktail in hand.  30 degrees at Glastonbury would be quite a challenge

Nope, I think we'd all prefer warm and comfortable over roasting and oppressive. Would really like the current Friday to Sunday temps of 20-23 to stick. Perfect.

Edited by briddj

Utterly confused now - three different weather sites, three different forecasts.

I'll be taking boots, wellies, factor 30 sun-cream, shade hat, waterproof hat, sunglasses and a 10-pack of ponchos to appease the weather gods and a couple of thick sweatshirts as the overnight temps look a bit chilly. 

Worst of all the lyrics for Bohemian rhapsody keep going around in my head  (well the lines about thunderbolts & lightening).

I'll be having a BBQ on Sunday - that should lure any weekend rain up towards the midlands.

Edited by Penrhos

26 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

Hate to ruin everyone day but the met seem to be predicting the opposite? here's the long term forecast...

Unsettled weather dominates on Monday with a band of heavy rain pushing northeastwards across the northern half of the UK, but with heavy showers breaking out in parts of the south. There's a risk of thunderstorms bringing some torrential downpours across central and eastern England where it could be very warm. This unsettled theme continues through the middle of the week, with further bouts of heavy rain and thunderstorms likely, especially for central and eastern areas. As we approach the end of June there may be more in the way of dry and settled weather, with temperatures mostly near normal, but warm at times in the southeast. However, by early July more unsettled conditions with showers or perhaps some longer spells of rain may return to northwestern areas.

Which was written yesterday based on runs then not now. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

Nope, I think we'd all prefer warm and comfortable over roasting and oppressive. Would really like the current Friday to Sunday temps of 20-23 to stick. Perfect.

Yup.  Still in a bit of disbelief that I'm hoping for a bit of climb down in temperatures.  If you'd had told me we'd be in this position at the beginning of the month, that dog give the side eye would be making an appearance. 

I think by looking at the charts its becoming increasingly likely all the weather patterns will converge and create some sort of super storm consisting of all possible weather outcomes localised over the different areas of glasto. for example I would say Saturday morning the pyramid stage looks likely to be snowy but itll be sunny nearer to the park. bring jelly shoes and an alpaca coat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Yup.  Still in a bit of disbelief that I'm hoping for a bit of climb down in temperatures.  If you'd had told me we'd be in this position at the beginning of the month, that dog give the side eye would be making an appearance. 

Even last week it was looking highly unlikely!

if it is really hot would the festival consider opening the likes of the JP Tent, Leftfield, BBC Introducing etc... so people can shelter from the heat in there? 

Fwiw, I would one million percent settle for hot weather over rain and mud (and I’m basically ginger). 

2 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

if it is really hot would the festival consider opening the likes of the JP Tent, Leftfield, BBC Introducing etc... so people can shelter from the heat in there? 

Fwiw, I would one million percent settle for hot weather over rain and mud (and I’m basically ginger). 

yes, they have done this in the past