The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 minute ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Yep - in 2017 we got really lucky - really heavy bursts of rain all around us at times.

The opposite of 2014. 

Although I have a habit of saying "last year", meaning "last festival", I was actually talking about 2018 this time - the country seemed to have a very settled high over the whole country for months, like we were Lazarote.

17 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Current run is HOT HOT HOT and dry from Monday pm to Friday so far

I'd bank that 06z - scorchio next week with minimal rain thursday and some rain on sunday so we can all cool down abit lol

29 possible wed/thur - best be taking sun cream 

Lets HOPE the operation run has support on the ensembles

2 minutes ago, briddj said:

Here's the GFS 00Z

Pressure: We now know that the plume is pretty much certain to build in from Monday to its highest point on Wednesday. High pressure still starting to sink down on the Friday but yet again on this run it fights back on Sunday.  

Precipitation: Now bar the odd shower dry until rain hits at 3pm on Sunday - this now too is consistent. Still getting a fair bit of rain from that point on but it fades north by 9am on Monday (Scotland is getting an absolute soaking!), leaving great drying temperatures from that point all day. Essentially dry all day Tuesday too (small threat of morning showers) and COMPLETELY dry through to Saturday night when there is the possibility of a few light showers then and overnight - that would be refreshing! There is a bit more rain which has appeared Sunday day time - not heavy stuff and that can change and it fades out.

Temperatures: Saturday 19-20, Sunday and Monday 22-23, Tuesday 28-29, Wednesday 25, Thursday 29, Friday 22-23, Saturday 21-22, Sunday 20-21

image.thumb.png.3412e2165612bf050b38a8f750dc7aad.png

So it's getting ever-more certain that the start of the festival is going to be VERY hot and dry with the low now further out to the west.

We remain on tenterhooks for the weekend, but there is actually a chance the high pressure could win out and keep the temps high over the weekend too.

Bring that suncream, everyone!

Going to see HOT Chip tonight so I can't do the 12Z or 18Z in full, but I'll be lurking! 

Is it too soon to celebrate?! Woohoo!

Have a great time at Hot Chip and a few well deserved beers, and thanks again for your updates.

Hotter than 2017 you say?

Imagine the sound the festival will make when a single cloud covers the sun for a moment. Sweet release. 

Several people collapsed in the queue in while we were waiting to get in that year. The only thing that stopped more was a seemingly limitless supply of bottled water. Wonder how they will handle this with the plastic ban...

Just now, matichin said:

Imagine the sound the festival will make when a single cloud covers the sun for a moment. Sweet release. 

Several people collapsed in the queue in while we were waiting to get in that year. The only thing that stopped more was a seemingly limitless supply of bottled water. Wonder how they will handle this with the plastic ban...

A seemingly limitless supply of canned water.

1 minute ago, matichin said:

It won't make much difference in the end. Just plumb in an extra tap at each pedestrian gate and have a box of paper cups.

7 minutes ago, briddj said:

Here's the GFS 00Z

Pressure: We now know that the plume is pretty much certain to build in from Monday to its highest point on Wednesday. High pressure still starting to sink down on the Friday but yet again on this run it fights back on Sunday.  

Precipitation: Now bar the odd shower dry until rain hits at 3pm on Sunday - this now too is consistent. Still getting a fair bit of rain from that point on but it fades north by 9am on Monday (Scotland is getting an absolute soaking!), leaving great drying temperatures from that point all day. Essentially dry all day Tuesday too (small threat of morning showers) and COMPLETELY dry through to Saturday night when there is the possibility of a few light showers then and overnight - that would be refreshing! There is a bit more rain which has appeared Sunday day time - not heavy stuff and that can change and it fades out.

Temperatures: Saturday 19-20, Sunday and Monday 22-23, Tuesday 28-29, Wednesday 25, Thursday 29, Friday 22-23, Saturday 21-22, Sunday 20-21

image.thumb.png.3412e2165612bf050b38a8f750dc7aad.png

So it's getting ever-more certain that the start of the festival is going to be VERY hot and dry with the low now further out to the west.

We remain on tenterhooks for the weekend, but there is actually a chance the high pressure could win out and keep the temps high over the weekend too.

Bring that suncream, everyone!

Going to see HOT Chip tonight so I can't do the 12Z or 18Z in full, but I'll be lurking!

x8HP4lf.gif

Just now, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Just a reminder to everyone that the WEATHERCOASTER can go down as well as up, and we're a long way out still. 2005's flash flood didn't appear in any forecasts until the Sunday before the festival. 

Anyone talking about 'not taking wellies' can do one. 

This!

Just now, matichin said:

in 07 it was about 7pm when that cloud went passed the sun the site cheered for the first time since 5 am and for a few brief moments there was relief from the oppressive and furious day star

i nearly had a break down at that point so dam hot unrelentingly hot

1 minute ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Just a reminder to everyone that the WEATHERCOASTER can go down as well as up, and we're a long way out still. 2005's flash flood didn't appear in any forecasts until the Sunday before the festival. 

But think of the extra beers I'll be able to pack in my bag..

46 minutes ago, p.pete said:

I'm tempted to analyse how frequently you've posted in weather threads in each of the previous years - see if a high-post year matches up with lovely sunshine.  Probably as useful as an actual weather forecast...

It would be just as much of a waste of time yep. Thread started in October 2018. 184 pages later and we still havent a clue. Literally not one fucking iota what the weather will be like next week. 

4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

SpanishSpotlessJerboa-small.gif

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 2

First day was a real slog last time, made the mistake of staying put at camp but should have went out as they were hosing people down around site in places. A big sun brolley or something to give shade isn't  a bad idea at this stage - also those foil blankets to put over your tent can help too. Even gazebos were useless for folk last time as the sun was so high in the sky the shade was minimal. Take plenty water for the journey in folks!

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

But think of the extra beers I'll be able to pack in my bag..

If a single Glastonbury goer decides not to take adequate water protection we WILL all drown.

Get those wellies on your feet, soldier. Job's not done yet.

2 minutes ago, Magma said:

If a single Glastonbury goer decides not to take adequate water protection we WILL all drown.

Get those wellies on your feet, soldier. Job's not done yet.

I will bring them for the sake of not wanting to jinx things.. I can actually fit 2 cans in each boot anyway so it's all good.