The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

35 minutes ago, briddj said:

2011 was incredibly hard work through to the Saturday. The camper field was ruined and everyone had to be towed in. 

The mud was really energy sapping that year, and it lashed down again on the Friday. 

But to again prove how fast the site will recover in sunshine and hot temperatures, the sun came out when Friendly Fires came on (see above) and by Sunday morning everyone was in trainers. Amazing transformation. 

Is correct.

2011 was tough. Rained most of Friday, Wu Tang.... U2. Then the mud was like glue on Saturday... Chems on Other. Was hot again Sunday so could sit down on the baking mud...(Paul Simon).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Really? I genuinely don't remember it being hard work. But I was only in my early 20s so I probably found it easier than I would these days. Also that year was eclipsed for me by being at the front at radiohead and getting interviewed by Adam and Joe for their 6music show. Probably my third favourite year, come to think of it. Just shows bad weather doesn't necessarily make a bad year (2007 misery excluded). 

The only hard work was when it belted down for the Friday night headliners. 

1 hour ago, wozwebs said:

I’ll settle for storms like you get in Florida. Off there in 4 weeks. Apple forecast has lightning symbol almost every day yet when you do get any storms they last 10 minutes then all dry again in minutes. Granted it’s not a field in Somerset with 175,000 traipsing over it but still. 

Currently on lockdown in lake buena vista, Florida due to a tornado! Was baking sun 2 hours ago 

23 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Yeah funny year. 2004 was:

- Rain and ridiculous winds Wednesday, muddy

- Lovely and sunny Thursday and Friday with ground fine from Thursday early pm 

- Rain overnight late Friday into lunch Sat creating mud

- Rain again during McCartney 

Crikey weatherwatch you certainly know your Glasto weather history, I bow down to you oh great one.

25 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Did it rain during McCartney?!? I was so happy I can't remember! 

17 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Despite the roller coaster, now this thread is just giving me the fuzzies over how great Glastonbury is even in the rain and mud ?

Yeah me too actually. Totally forgot about any mud in 2004. That one is right up in my top three.

27 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Yep, the year I went to the medical tent nearly every day. I had sunburn from the wind stopping me from taking the sun seriously. Then the next day, I did my ankle in with badly fitter gaiters digging in, but I didn't feel it at the time because of general excess.

Can someone give me a weather prog

Just now, mrfunk said:

And still nobody talks about 1998 ?

Because it was fucking unmentionable after 1997 . Anyone at both has deleted it from their collective memory

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

You forgot 2004! 

Well that was the one year since 1995 that I could not get tickets ? ( other than 2008 when I could have got tickets but was at a family wedding down-under!) so I will have to trust you on that one! 

12 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

And still nobody talks about 1998 ?

The weather was shocking 1998 and a cruel blow after 1997 too, but I had a much better time in 98 than 97. I went prepared for a start and camped up at the Fire Circle with some mates so could go there for a bit of refuge from the mud! 

5 hours ago, Penrhos said:

A few nice thunderstorms to watch from the stone circle would be nice (especially if they miss the site).

There's always the chance that a "Flag-w*nker" might get struck by lightning to add to the entertainment.

Cool with a few light showers would suit me fine - 2017 was a little too hot for my liking, even if it was like 2011 it wouldn't be too bad (at least we don't have to endure Bono this year).

2011 was about right from what I remember. I take it you didn’t experience the delights of 2007? That’s the one time I’ve not been devastated going home, it was just so tiring! Or 2010’s sunfest for that matter... extremes in any form are not good in my experience