The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

30 minutes ago, sedra said:

Ok so I set up this thread on ticket day as I know that apart from getting tickets ( and receiving them) the most important thing is what is the weather going to be. And as a veteran of 19 Glastonbury’s so far ( next week is my 20th) I can be reassured by both the state of the ground thread and this one that it will be ok. I am quietly confident that it will not be a mud bath ( 97,98,05,07,11,16) and some  rain will not be the end of the world with the temperatures rising. Many a muddy Thursday or Friday has led to a dry ground Saturday and Sunday. Mud is manageable although not pleasant, persistent rain ( 98,07,11) is miserable BUT if prepared doable. We are going to fine ?

You forgot 2004! 

I’ll settle for storms like you get in Florida. Off there in 4 weeks. Apple forecast has lightning symbol almost every day yet when you do get any storms they last 10 minutes then all dry again in minutes. Granted it’s not a field in Somerset with 175,000 traipsing over it but still. 

5 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

22 hours from Edinburghto Gate A in 2016. I still have sleepless nights. Got off bus at one point, had 2 leisurely pints, and strolled 50 yards up road to get back on bus. Horrendous. Marvellous how quickly the nightmare faded once I was there though.

I was on this bus and despite people clearly being plenty able to nip to pubs and shops as we crawled along I got fixated on staying on the bus keep my head down and we'd get there. Hellish.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Eh? It just rained on the Sunday. And you can remove 05 and 11 from the list too!

Yeah I don't remember 2011being too bad, so I went through my pics from that year and some of main areas were muddy but it was fine in most places and we were sitting on the ground by the Sunday. I also look quite sunburnt early on so it must have been sunny. 

10 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

I’ll settle for storms like you get in Florida. Off there in 4 weeks. Apple forecast has lightning symbol almost every day yet when you do get any storms they last 10 minutes then all dry again in minutes. Granted it’s not a field in Somerset with 175,000 traipsing over it but still. 

I like the idea behind this. Most of those thunderstorms never even hit so im taking any forecast with a pinch of salt

4 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Yeah I don't remember 2011being too bad, so I went through my pics from that year and some of main areas were muddy but it was fine in most places and we were sitting on the ground by the Sunday. I also look quite sunburnt early on so it must have been sunny. 

The horror! The horror! (Sat early evening)

Edited by Homer

15 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I was on this bus and despite people clearly being plenty able to nip to pubs and shops as we crawled along I got fixated on staying on the bus keep my head down and we'd get there. Hellish.

Drove down , were held up outside the brewers fayre in Glastonbury, drove in and had a meal , used their bogs, then rejoined the traffic jam behind the car we were stuck behind originally. 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Dear weather gods.

Nothing about 20 please.

Keep it Dry.

Thanks muchly.

I think the Wednesday last time was far too hot, but I quite like it around 24/25/26. Sunshine just makes everything even better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

2011 was incredibly hard work through to the Saturday. The camper field was ruined and everyone had to be towed in. 

The mud was really energy sapping that year, and it lashed down again on the Friday. 

But to again prove how fast the site will recover in sunshine and hot temperatures, the sun came out when Friendly Fires came on (see above) and by Sunday morning everyone was in trainers. Amazing transformation. 

24 minutes ago, briddj said:

2011 was incredibly hard work through to the Saturday. The camper field was ruined and everyone had to be towed in. 

The mud was really energy sapping that year, and it lashed down again on the Friday. 

But to again prove how fast the site will recover in sunshine and hot temperatures, the sun came out when Friendly Fires came on (see above) and by Sunday morning everyone was in trainers. Amazing transformation. 

Really? I genuinely don't remember it being hard work. But I was only in my early 20s so I probably found it easier than I would these days. Also that year was eclipsed for me by being at the front at radiohead and getting interviewed by Adam and Joe for their 6music show. Probably my third favourite year, come to think of it. Just shows bad weather doesn't necessarily make a bad year (2007 misery excluded). 

23 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Nope, it pissed it down during the Saturday headliners.

Yeah funny year. 2004 was:

- Rain and ridiculous winds Wednesday, muddy

- Lovely and sunny Thursday and Friday with ground fine from Thursday early pm 

- Rain overnight late Friday into lunch Sat creating mud

- Rain again during McCartney