The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

37 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Relevant bits:

2 scenarios possible. "(1)Threat of big intense thunder storms or (2) it'll be cloudy and showery. We're pretty sure its going to be one of those two so we're saying - its not going to be high pressure, fine weather". 

"If you're packing for Glastonbury.......I think what we can say is that you will need wellies because the ground is going to be soggy".

Okay people, pick your preferred option:

1) Roasting, humid, thundery downpours

or

2)  Cool, cloudy and showery

4 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I don't like the muddy AND hot scenario because then I have to work in wellies and get heat rash all over my legs. Anyone know how to stop that?

Hydrocortisone cream.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

What time did you set off? We left at midnight on Wednesday & were pitched up by 8:30

think we left the coach station around 8am-ish? There was only 2 of us so thought rockin' up at 2ish would work well as we wouldn't need much space. Cut to 8 hours later and we're carrying all our bloody stuff with the light dying and barely any space. Ended up with a great spot though. Driving this year so setting off in the evening on the Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

think we left the coach station around 8am-ish? There was only 2 of us so thought rockin' up at 2ish would work well as we wouldn't need much space. Cut to 8 hours later and we're carrying all our bloody stuff with the light dying and barely any space. Ended up with a great spot though. Driving this year so setting off in the evening on the Tuesday.

6 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

What time did you set off? We left at midnight on Wednesday & were pitched up by 8:30

We left North Manchester around 5am on the Wednesday morning and it took us 12 hours. It was a killer but I've had worse...2009 or 2010 (can't remember which year) it was 16 hours.

12z is running and so far (up to Thursday 27th) there's less heat, less rain. That band of Wednesday horror from the 6z is missing.

Lots of nasty rain around across Wales earlier in the week though, reaaaaaally close to Pilton. 

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch

Just now, mcmenace said:

We left North Manchester around 5am on the Wednesday morning and it took us 12 hours. It was a killer but I've had worse...2009 or 2010 (can't remember which year) it was 16 hours.

2009 was really bad. It was our first Glasto and I think we set of midday on the Wednesday (although to be fair this is just as it was starting to advertise properly as a full 5 day thing) but yeah we were queuing for hours.

worst trip down was 2011 when there was 6 of us in there (4 of us were going off camping) and we broke down just outside of Bristol. It was a VW original camper van and we had to stay in said van in an industrial estate overnight with the hope that the mechanics might get to potentially have a look at the van. We smelled out the waiting room till they looked at it and they managed to fashion the part we needed out of another part. Couldn't believe we made it in the end, 24 hours of rain on the Friday and I didn;t feel a drop of it out of joy.

Anyway I digress, you lot go back to having no idea what the weathers going to do till next week!

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Theoretically speaking - how much would we all pay for ‘perfect’ festival weather (however you perceive that!)?

I’d certainly pay another £200 on top of the ticker price etc for it. It has such an impact towards my overall experience. 

Fuck all I’ll take the risk. People are soft as shite it’s a bit of mud/rain for 5 days max. Get a grip. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Theoretically speaking - how much would we all pay for ‘perfect’ festival weather (however you perceive that!)?

I’d certainly pay another £200 on top of the ticker price etc for it. It has such an impact towards my overall experience. 

Nothing. Pay your money, take your chance. As much as I dont want a heatwave, Ill just deal with it if it happens.

7 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Lots of nasty rain around across Wales earlier in the week though, reaaaaaally close to Pilton. 

Which is what has been happening for last 10 days or so I guess. Perhaps the trend will continue 

Edited by tumbles

7 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

12z is running and so far (up to Thursday 27th) there's less heat, less rain. That band of Wednesday horror from the 6z is missing.

I'm hoping the plume isn't as pronounced as predicted so we can benefit from it without the crazy thundery breakdown.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Fuck all I’ll take the risk. People are soft as shite it’s a bit of mud/rain for 5 days max. Get a grip. 

Nice one Tommy, strangely that's chilled me out a hell of a lot. You are completely correct.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

2009 was really bad. It was our first Glasto and I think we set of midday on the Wednesday (although to be fair this is just as it was starting to advertise properly as a full 5 day thing) but yeah we were queuing for hours.

worst trip down was 2011 when there was 6 of us in there (4 of us were going off camping) and we broke down just outside of Bristol. It was a VW original camper van and we had to stay in said van in an industrial estate overnight with the hope that the mechanics might get to potentially have a look at the van. We smelled out the waiting room till they looked at it and they managed to fashion the part we needed out of another part. Couldn't believe we made it in the end, 24 hours of rain on the Friday and I didn;t feel a drop of it out of joy.

Anyway I digress, you lot go back to having no idea what the weathers going to do till next week!

Sounds pretty grim!

We did set off at midnight on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning one year which was perfect for traffic, but then we queued in torrential rain to get through the pedestrian gate. I don't think I've ever had a really simple journey down. 2016 was the last time I went and I swore after 7 hours sitting on the A39(?) that it'd be my last. And yet here I am spending 12 hours a day checking the weather thread.

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It's all part of the experience. As much as it is a slog when the weather is bad, it makes you appreciate the good weather all the more.

Some of my most treasured glasto memories came about because of bad weather and theres a bigger sense of satisfaction managing to have a great time in spite of the conditions.

That said, I'd quite happily have 2017 weather all the time if only for how easy it is to get around and not having to pack as much wet weather stuff means theres more space for booze

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

An extra £200 from everyone could fund the dome to put over the top!

A few nice thunderstorms to watch from the stone circle would be nice (especially if they miss the site).

There's always the chance that a "Flag-w*nker" might get struck by lightning to add to the entertainment.

Cool with a few light showers would suit me fine - 2017 was a little too hot for my liking, even if it was like 2011 it wouldn't be too bad (at least we don't have to endure Bono this year).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I'm hoping the plume isn't as pronounced as predicted so we can benefit from it without the crazy thundery breakdown.

Totally. Current run is basically that so far - less heat, but low staying out further West. Bit of rain Weds then dry Thurs, Fri so far.