The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

3 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

I’d say that if there are no long spells of torrential rain between now and the start it’ll be more like 2008 or 2009.  Some dry spells, some rain.  Some mud but not energy sapping like 2015 or everywhere like 2007.    On the scale I’d say it’s looking like 5-6.

If it’s like 2015 I’d be well happy.

2015 was lovely, bit of rain to remind you that you're at glastonbury, not too hot (i can't handle heat too well) that I'm dying by day 2 and not too much mud. 

4 minutes ago, Sku said:

From a Facebook memory. On this day in 2016... it's not even close to this bad.

And the amount of rain predicted over the next 10 or so days is actually pretty minimal.

20190617_144737.jpg

Wow!   That certainly puts things into perspective.

Just now, Bags73 said:

Wow!   That certainly puts things into perspective.

We were incredibly lucky that the festival wasn't on that weekend. It rained for the whole time and the mud was obviously still there. At least with 2016 it was warm and the rain was manageable 

4 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

We were incredibly lucky that the festival wasn't on that weekend. It rained for the whole time and the mud was obviously still there. At least with 2016 it was warm and the rain was manageable 

I recall it being pretty sunny on the Friday during the sub slot time (I was at Foals).

33 minutes ago, Sku said:

And the amount of rain predicted over the next 10 or so days is actually pretty minimal.

20190617_144737.jpg

Ha, fortunately I think I must have missed seeing that at the time!

39 minutes ago, Sku said:

20190617_144737.jpg

My god it’s just as well I hadn’t seen that before we arrived! And that photo is probably before the traders vans churned up the ground as they set up. 

40 minutes ago, Sku said:

20190617_144737.jpg

Could still happen - anything could happen! We didn’t have yellow warning thunderstorms from the met office for tomorrow and Wednesday until a couple of days ago.

Still all rests on Craven next Sunday evening - the countryside loving bastard!

Has taken me flippin' ages to find the address but knew I'd posted it on here in every weather thread for the last few years.

This - https://earth.nullschool.net/ - is a really cool global view of the weather. Think it is updated every few hours with the latest data.

Menu options are in the bottom left - click on Earth. It then allows you to choose all manner of data sources and types as well as replay weather patterns from the last few hours, etc.

Doesn't really add huge amounts to the 'prediction chat' but you can at least see the weather patterns at the moment and in the past. Plus i find it quite cool.

Click and drag the 'earth' to rotate and zoom in. Is much cooler with a touch screen or VR

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

Has taken me flippin' ages to find the address but knew I'd posted it on here in every weather thread for the last few years.

This - https://earth.nullschool.net/ - is a really cool global view of the weather. Think it is updated every few hours with the latest data.

Menu options are in the bottom left - click on Earth. It then allows you to choose all manner of data sources and types as well as replay weather patterns from the last few hours, etc.

Doesn't really add huge amounts to the 'prediction chat' but you can at least see the weather patterns at the moment and in the past. Plus i find it quite cool.

Click and drag the 'earth' to rotate and zoom in. Is much cooler with a touch screen or VR

VR Weather updates, now how can I pretend to work with a VR headset on......Helps me concentrate to write reports?

Having looked at the Met Office Hazard Manager site it looks like if the site can escape the worst on Tuesday/Wednesday we’re going to be ok.   The Yellow Warning for rain doesn’t cover the site anyway.  Looking at the predicted rain rates there’s a fair bit going to fall but nothing stupid. 

After that there are a few showers around but that’s it until Sunday.    Tuesday/Wednesday is the key if we’re to avoid it cutting up too much as all the traders arrive.    We may yet be ok.

2 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

Having looked at the Met Office Hazard Manager site it looks like if the site can escape the worst on Tuesday/Wednesday we’re going to be ok.   The Yellow Warning for rain doesn’t cover the site anyway.  Looking at the predicted rain rates there’s a fair bit going to fall but nothing stupid. 

After that there are a few showers around but that’s it until Sunday.    Tuesday/Wednesday is the key if we’re to avoid it cutting up too much as all the traders arrive.    We may yet be ok.

Looking at what it was like in 2016 at this point and considering how dry it has been the last few months plus on top of that the dry weather forecast from weds on to Sunday. I think we are pretty much safe from any bad mud. I’m still gonna bring wellies/boots but I imagine I can survive in old trainers

9 minutes ago, Keithy said:

On a similar note - I've been debating whether to post it in this thread due to the damage it could do, but fuck it -

https://www.windy.com/

Lets you switch between 5 of the main forecasting models, filter down exactly what weather elements you wish to show amongst a huge number of other options, and then timeline through it.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Keithy said:

That's very similar to VentuSky: https://www.ventusky.com