The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2016 was an absolute freak occurrence.  It has to be very wet for a long time for those kinds of problems.  We'll be fine.

Agree with that. Also as the mud began to dry out a bit it went from a liquid form to a thick sticky form which trapped wellies and small children. 

4 hours ago, briddj said:

Yep, mud cannot survive above 20 degrees - all the moisture is sucked out of it.

I hang on every fact that you post. It's as though I'm reading an extract from a text book on mud.... keep 'em coming please; you're obviously an expert (you are to me anyway).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, briddj said:

Not too bad tbh. I think now we can kind of guess there won’t be a heatwave but there won’t be a monsoon either. Somewhere in the middle is fine by me. Glastonbury is always going to be fun but a slightly drier weekend makes it that much more special ? only one more work week people! 

Just to lighten the mood -

I unfortunately don’t get to as many Galsto’s as much of this forum. This will be my 5th and my previous four were -

04, 05, 07, 16

prohably the worst years for mud and rain in all of the 15 years between my first and now. So it’s probably going to be a quagmire. Sorry.

20 minutes ago, JoshM87 said:

Just to lighten the mood -

I unfortunately don’t get to as many Galsto’s as much of this forum. This will be my 5th and my previous four were -

04, 05, 07, 16

prohably the worst years for mud and rain in all of the 15 years between my first and now. So it’s probably going to be a quagmire. Sorry.

IT WAS YOU!

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Sort of feeling a bit like 2015 at this point. Certainly not completely dry, a bit of wet in the lead up and showers threatening the first couple  of days but improving as time goes on and potentially a sunny finish. 

Trying to remember when it rained at 2015.

i seem to recall it raining during Motörhead on the Friday and possibly the Sunday morning too but not sure when else ?

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Trying to remember when it rained at 2015.

i seem to recall it raining during Motörhead on the Friday and possibly the Sunday morning too but not sure when else ?

I think you're correct.

It rained a bit during Friday afternoon certainly. I was at the Park watching Glass Animals and stupidly hadn't brought a coat with me (Camping in Darble) and got absolutely soaked on the walk back after, I think I even had to put on wellies cos there was a bit of mud. I think the puddles cleared by Saturday afternoon though. 

It also rained, as you say, heavily on the Sunday morning when the Dalai Lama was speaking at the Green Fields. 

35 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think you're correct.

It rained a bit during Friday afternoon certainly. I was at the Park watching Glass Animals and stupidly hadn't brought a coat with me (Camping in Darble) and got absolutely soaked on the walk back after, I think I even had to put on wellies cos there was a bit of mud. I think the puddles cleared by Saturday afternoon though. 

It also rained, as you say, heavily on the Sunday morning when the Dalai Lama was speaking at the Green Fields. 

I was camped near the Park and me and my mate had gone over to the Pyramid to watch Motörhead, I had a thin jumper on and he had a cagoul. ?

luckily both of us had boots on!

yes I missed Dalai Lama as I was hiding from the rain in my tent! 

It rained twice on the Friday in 2015. Once when Alabama Shakes were on the Pyramid. Judging from the footage it rained during Mary J Blige too. I was off bimbling at that point so remember getting a dousing which may have been that. Think it stopped just before Motörhead.

It chucked it down early on the Sunday too. I saw Rival Sons open the Other during a decent shower. I think there was a very light bit of drizzle just before Lionel as well. Apart from that it was fine.

This morning's 00Z....

Still showing some rain on Monday and Tuesday but nowhere near as much - good news. It's then completely dry until the Sunday, which has a bit of rain around.

The high pressure now ridges in on this Sunday evening, pushing that wet low out of the way. But now the high pressure is sinking out overnight on Friday of the festival, so a bit of a reverse to what we had as a low comes in with that rain.

Temps still showing as very poor on the Monday and Tuesday (13-14). But Wednesday we're up to 19 with 21-22 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday - so a great start to the festival temp wise. Drop off to 17-18 on the Sunday with that low taking over.

So, in summary, more good news in the early build of pressure and less rain before the festival. We just need to the high to hold for one more day.

• Upvote 4