The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

3 hours ago, briddj said:

That said, it's the same old posters with the doom and gloom who are desperate to find something negative in every run. Notice they don't seem to post when it's a good run? A handful of them are desperate for there to be no summer! 

One of them said that if it doesn't improve in the next few weeks then that's it because August is never a good month. Incredible! 

Alderc, 38.5*c and wimbledon88. Scum, the lot of them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gordong said:

When does the forecast become genuinely reliable? Heard different things, usually between 3-5 days right?

I think so.Most people on here seem to regard the BBC Country File forecast on the previous Sunday as the first definitive view.

1 hour ago, stopwn1981 said:

It’s all become rather depressing. Is it too much to ask to be able to sit in a field with your mates in the sun for a few days in mid-summer -without the fear of having to prepare for WW1 trench warfare? Britain is a silly place.

Depressing based on what exactly? 

Just been reading 2016 weather thread. By 16 June that year (and with the festival being earlier then, gates opened weds 22nd) forecasts were just as wildly uncertain then. I think the heavy deluges of rain prior may have done some of the damage by that point.

I went on to read posts written during the festival. Even then the weather forecasts were wrong.

One poor lad was looking at a BBC weather app saying it was dry while a monsoon was hitting his tent.

Conclusion, weather forecasts are gash.

I'll still be on here 50 times a day till I get there (and during!)

I've started looking at the GFS and ECM runs myself as it's a bit more enjoyable contrasting your own uneducated opinion against other more knowledgeable folk, but what time do the runs become available to view? I know they run 6hourly at 00, 06, 12, 18 but when do the charts typically become available for viewing? Been looking on netweather so far and no 0600 yet for example. 

9 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

I've started looking at the GFS and ECM runs myself as it's a bit more enjoyable contrasting your own uneducated opinion against other more knowledgeable folk, but what time do the runs become available to view? I know they run 6hourly at 00, 06, 12, 18 but when do the charts typically become available for viewing? Been looking on netweather so far and no 0600 yet for example. 

The times are 6 in advance. So the 00Z will begin running about 5.15am and complete around 6.15am. 

Thus, the next run is the 06Z and will begin around 11.15am.

Latest run still dodgy for Glasto weekend as low pressure builds back in.... 

PS: Welcome to the club. You're locked in now, no way out. 

• Upvote 1

I kept an eye on the met office and bbc weather for where I live (Manchester) yesterday and they both got it wrong throughout the day. It rained on and off but neither were correct about it, even at times it was bucketing down and both sites said it was dry

7 minutes ago, briddj said:

The times are 6 in advance. So the 00Z will begin running about 5.15am and complete around 6.15am. 

Thus, the next run is the 06Z and will begin around 11.15am.

Latest run still dodgy for Glasto weekend as low pressure builds back in.... 

PS: Welcome to the club. You're locked in now, no way out. 

The ECM looks a lot more promising (check me out having opinions and stuff), very different outlook.. The lack of consensus again shows maybe we shouldn't put too much faith in either model? 

5 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

A shit June...and the radio silence in the state of the ground thread!

Still all to play for. I'm at peace with the fact it's not going to be dry now. All I want is for the temperatures to improve a bit...not a lot to ask for in June surely?!?

16 hours ago, Homer said:

For a proper mud bath, it has to rain constantly in the run up then constantly during the festival. That’s why they’re actually relatively rare.

Much as I want to agree with the sentiment, aren't people always saying it didn't actually rain that much during the festival in 2016? A bit but not constantly? I wasn't there so just wondering based on the consensus here.

2 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

The ECM looks a lot more promising (check me out having opinions and stuff), very different outlook.. The lack of consensus again shows maybe we shouldn't put too much faith in either model? 

Definitely no faith* in any of this nonsense!

*See you a couple of hours for the 06Z

8 hours ago, Waapster said:

I think so.Most people on here seem to regard the BBC Country File forecast on the previous Sunday as the first definitive view.

This is 100% based on tradition rather than anything else, as Countryfile never really goes beyond the Thursday or sometimes Friday of the following week.

1 minute ago, tumbles said:

Because the ground isn’t that bad and we’ve had a load less rain than rest of country.  

13 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

A shit June...and the radio silence in the state of the ground thread!

That might be because the people who live in Pilton might have better things to do of a weekend than post on here ?

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Much as I want to agree with the sentiment, aren't people always saying it didn't actually rain that much during the festival in 2016? A bit but not constantly? I wasn't there so just wondering based on the consensus here.

It lamped down for a week ish before it & all wednesday morning. It was very muddy on arrival.

It rained in patches. Enough to keep up the mud. It was pelting down sunday morning. But overall it wasn't a wet festival when we were there.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop