The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

31 minutes ago, Titters said:

For those who were there... How long did the rain fall for in 2005? Was it an hour, a few hours? 

As people have said, only a few hours overnight but it was something like 90mm of rain in one night. Absolutely biblical.

Plus there was the lightning. I remember having to go to the urinals in the middle of the night and wondering about the sense in pissing against a metal structure at the top a hill in a t-storm ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This one's quite hard because it seems to have been shitting it down all over the country for the last few weeks, so it's more difficult than usual to imagine things being fine and dry at the festival.

It's not logical, but we're talking about human beings here.

Quite. And no one is "depressing themselves because it's not a heatwave". Right now all we want is bang average conditions for the end of June!

Like you say, after the last week the suggestion people are stupid to be concerned is a little unrealistic - especially after Gav's Weather Bomb.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

As people have said, only a few hours overnight but it was something like 90mm of rain in one night. Absolutely biblical.

Plus there was the lightning. I remember having to go to the urinals in the middle of the night and wondering about the sense in pissing against a metal structure at the top a hill in a t-storm ?

It was the entire average rainfall for June in one go

2 minutes ago, briddj said:

Quite. And no one is "depressing themselves because it's not a heatwave". Right now all we want is bang average conditions for the end of June!

Like you say, after the last week the suggestion people are stupid to be concerned is a little unrealistic - especially after Gav's Weather Bomb.

Don't get me wrong, @frostypawis completely right in terms of the facts, it's just there are some mitigating circumstances in terms of the emotional impact.

Gav said we'd be having temperatures of 28°c in 2016. Even though he knows it's not predictable yet, he still has a good go. 

We have some actual data on the start of the week of the festival, nothing worth looking at on the actual festival yet. We just need to sit tight for a few more days.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not logical, but we're talking about human beings here.

Damn right, gotta remind ourselves of that too.

Just remember 05 in particular though and how we went from apocalypse to fine, and many other years since where the mud's got nasty and two days later there's nothing but smooth springy dancefloor left. We know it drains - the problem is lots of rain while we're there or tonnes of rain in the run-up and nothing's predicted that at any point (apart from the Nal)

I reckon the post-wet hardened stuff is the best thing to dance on, quite happy to skip seeing it though.

Couple more good posts from the Netweather Geeks:

"If I was in the s / se in particular I would be happy, there could be a lot to look forward to in the weeks ahead..reading between the lines, GloSea5 / EC32 etc..must be indicating some very summery potential for southern uk through late June and continuing well into July.?"

" Finally the ECM clusters are giving us options again... and actually the most encouraging for some time! Still a risky of a small trough getting stuck in the pattern, but with most of the positive anomalies not far from the UK, a decent chance of a good final week of June for many? "

• Like 2

Wish I could care as little about it as my son. Just back home from uni via Parklife festival and didn’t even mention the mud he was wading around in wearing just trainers. Started to discuss our trip to Glastonbury and how the weather may affect us....wasn’t even a thing to him. Oh to be young and carefree ?

59 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

This data is obviously wrong - do they just not check it?!?

It's just automatically generated output and that far out varies wildly. Pretty pointless to look at it - use something like the charts here http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cmc.php (click on the location) and you can see the results of the model being run 20x with tiny tiny variations to account for measurement error - you can see the model runs diverge very quickly which gives you an idea of how certain a particular forecast is. As you'll see there's not much rain and it's very uncertain - don't panic.

giphy.gif