The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Slightly off topic but I am studying weather forecasts for the next two weeks to decide when to take time out for  camping in Cornwall. I am looking at BBC and Accuweather but on many days ( particular,y into the second week) their respective forcast are complete opposites.

How does this happen, surely they all use the same data  because I assume there is only one set of weather stations around the world, so the difference must be in their prediction software. The evidence suggests that their software is not  very accurate for more than a week in advance and therefore I think it is very misleading for them to publish these forecasts.

20 minutes ago, woyski said:

Here for my morning dose of "What the fuck is going on?" with a side of "Who knows?" - Can't. Keep. Away.

I think I'm going to have to start reducing my dosage. Starting to take its toll as I'm constantly preoccupied and I really, really, really can't do another 11-12 days of this. 

1 hour ago, Pauljoanss said:

Slightly off topic but I am studying weather forecasts for the next two weeks to decide when to take time out for  camping in Cornwall. I am looking at BBC and Accuweather but on many days ( particular,y into the second week) their respective forcast are complete opposites.

How does this happen, surely they all use the same data  because I assume there is only one set of weather stations around the world, so the difference must be in their prediction software. The evidence suggests that their software is not  very accurate for more than a week in advance and therefore I think it is very misleading for them to publish these forecasts.

I believe there are 3 (I think) different models used for doing forecasting and depending on which one you choose they can vary a lot. 

However.... Metcheck showing today and next Sunday to be the wettest day with the rest of the week largely dry. Then the Friday of the festival is pretty rough but that's too far away to not change every 6 hours for the next 2 weeks

Edited by gherkin8r

21 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I think I'm going to have to start reducing my dosage. Starting to take its toll as I'm constantly preoccupied and I really, really, really can't do another 11-12 days of this. 

I genuinely think it's getting me run down. Time to whack out the berocca & echinacea, I'm a delicate soul these days. 

25 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Bbc Breakfast forecaster was a bit depressing this morning..."Temperatures will rise by mid-week and we could see 25C in the south-east but it's not going to last. There's no sign of summer on the horizon!"  

Yes but -

for what parts of the Country? I'm hearing the S/SE could be fairly reasonable. And pretty dire in the NW

they are probably basing that on having a heat wave. I don't want a heat wave. I just don't want to be cold and wet.

Edited by Duggyfresh44

5 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

Yes but -

for what parts of the Country? I'm hearing the S/SE could be fairly reasonable. And pretty dire in the NW

they are probably basing that on having a heat wave. I don't want a heat wave. I just don't want to be cold and wet.

Makes it even more depressing when you realise the London centric Beeb are just talking about warm weather in the SE: bugger the yokels in the rest of the country! Been raining here in Staffordshire for 9 days now. Had to empty the garden dog bowl 3 times so far so that's a minimum 300mm of rain!

42 minutes ago, woyski said:

I genuinely think it's getting me run down. Time to whack out the berocca & echinacea, I'm a delicate soul these days. 

For sure. I'm emotionally drained after the last week. Would quite like to be able to go to bed tonight and wake up on Wed 26th

Hope it rains solidly for 5 days as I didn't get a ticket :(

In all seriousness hope everyone has a great time and the weather holds up for you. Do remember that no matter how biblically bad the weather may get it's still going to be the best weekend of the year and I will be supremely jealous of everyone there

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Makes it even more depressing when you realise the London centric Beeb are just talking about warm weather in the SE: bugger the yokels in the rest of the country! Been raining here in Staffordshire for 9 days now. Had to empty the garden dog bowl 3 times so far so that's a minimum 300mm of rain!

Yes but in this case we only want to know about Somerset! More specifically Pilton!

27 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

Yes but in this case we only want to know about Somerset! More specifically Pilton!

Ha ha....the all important. Pity the beeb won't give us a forecast exclusive to Pilton....or  humming optimism for warm and dry!