The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

Weather Stage line-up released:

Tomasz Schafernaker and The Azores Fingers

Vortex Lobes (Live)

The 00zs

Wincy Willis (DJ set - visuals from Gav)

Big Dog Disco

Untrustworthy Norwegians

Crowded House

MTB is that you?

2 hours ago, briddj said:

Update on the latest general consensuses anyway. It seems the better weather is now locked in for next week, with the chance of rain (possibly heavy) only on Wednesday. So a good chance for extensive drying.

There's talk of a continuing NW/SE split - which means the south of the country (especially SE) is going to be warmer and dryer than the north west. It means Glasto will probably have around average temperatures next week.

Still absolutely zero confidence beyond next Friday, though. Any forecast you see is pure witchcraft and we remain on a knife edge.

Briddj has basically just completed weather

As some of you probably know already, the forecasts are based on models, GFS (American), UKMO (UK) or ECMWF (EU) mainly. There is no point checking dozens of weather websites because they just replicate the models outcomes. 

If you prefer the GFS model I can recommend this website which gives you the raw model run for a specific point. I have already set up this one with glasto coordinates: https://www.meteopt.com/modelos/meteogramas/gfs.php?lat=51.16&lon=-2.59&lang=en&type=txt&units=m

Meteociel (http://www.meteociel.fr) has also got a nice set of maps for each of the models. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

So today it seems like the rollercoaster is now at the bottom of a loop, a crumb of comfort is the bbc pilton forecast, recently updated, still showing the run up week to be cloudy with a low chance of precipitation. Last significant rain to be the Sunday morning before the festival . 

:lol:It's funny really as it has changed so many times since Wednesday when it was showing the friday as being a heatwave etc and I'd said there would be more peaks and dips until then, turns out we have had more dips than peaks but time will tell. What will be will be. Keeping fingers crossed but we will know more by the middle of next week/the end. Gav's videos start tonight as well but even his were all over the place until a few days before the gates opened. 

Much prefer it to be wall to wall sunshine but either way i'll have a grand time. Litter picking in the mud will be a right c*nt though. 

It's the forecasted temperatures I'm worried about. Get wet when it's warm - dry off quick no problem. Get wet when irs cold, stay wet, bloody horrible. 

This thread is really putting me on a downer today. I just remember 2007 too well. I was in my early 30's then. Now I'm nearer my mid 40's I'm not sure I can handle that shit any more.

28 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

if you are worried about the weather 

then you shouldn't have gotten a ticket

it's a UK festival , the chances are it will be wet, get over it , had some of the best years during wet years

Bit much calling people out for voicing opinions of the weather 104 pages into a weather thread 2 weeks before the festival. We're on a Glastonbury forum, I imagine nearly everyone here will deal with what we're given, I'd also say people are allowed to moan at unideal weather conditions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Bit much calling people out for voicing opinions of the weather 104 pages into a weather thread 2 weeks before the festival. We're on a Glastonbury forum, I imagine nearly everyone here will deal with what we're given, I'd also say people are allowed to moan at unideal weather conditions.

We're british... we're allowed to moan EVEN IN ideal conditions

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

The kid out of This Is England has grown up to be a right dick 

He looks like James Acaster decided not to perform comedy and instead concentrate on working his way up the EDL.

Just saw a bit of blue sky on the webcam, so that's convinced me everything will be fine.

3 minutes ago, Stocksey said:

We're british... we're allowed to moan EVEN IN ideal conditions

To be fair I was moaning about people moaning about people moaning about the weather, I've hit my peak Brit-ness I think.

Edited by priest17
  • Upvote 1

Even if you're going to invoke 2007, it's worth remembering that timing is everything. If the festival that year had been held a week, even 4 days, earlier then it would be remembered as having some of the best weather ever. Unless you were on the break crew that is.

It's gonna be fiiiiiiiiiine. We're still 12 days out. So much can change. These forecasts seem to be changing dramatically each day anyway. We were looking at heatwaves this time yesterday! 

I still have to believe that June will see some decent weather at some point. The weather can do what it wants until this time next week. If we're sat here next Friday and it's still hammering it down with more rain predicted, then it's panic stations. 

Just remember: weather will never make or break a festival on its own. It can certainly be a factor and push an average festival to a bad or good one, but it's equally possible to have a great time in poor conditions.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Working from home today so I’ve ive made a little shrine and have my fingers crossed. 

Im definitely going to lose my job

F34F5219-476B-4728-8951-4D9F2F2E0148.jpeg

Excellent use of work time, out of upvotes so have some *applause*