The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Norwegians have 16.5mm of rain between now and Sunday week, falling over the course of 5/6 of those days. Is that something to be concerned about? I know we had persistent rain in the build up to 2016, but is 16.5mm the same sort of level? 

5 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

Yes. 

It was extremely heavy rain for a hour or so though. A couple of mates just had raincoats and no poncho, they were soaked through in minutes (or drawked) if from round my way. 

I was at the barrier of the pyramid determined to sit it out till AF - got soaked right through to boxers, even wearing waterproofs. Was brutal shitstorm. 

7 minutes ago, briddj said:

Morning everyone. Reporting for duty. Again.

I just cannot believe I am bothering to read things like this on Netweather thinking I know what I'm doing: "The overall NH profile in the 5-10 range is pretty much as expected with now little sign of the block and couple of quite intense vortex lobes."

Anyone else think that every year the net weather bods know they get 100’s of efestival lurkers so they throw in as many ridiculous terms as possible just for a bit of fun!

Bet they’re pissing themselves behind our backs!

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Norwegians have 16.5mm of rain between now and Sunday week, falling over the course of 5/6 of those days. Is that something to be concerned about? I know we had persistent rain in the build up to 2016, but is 16.5mm the same sort of level? 

So consulting the weather thingy, 2 weeks out in 2016 we had 24mm of rain, so we're not a million miles away from that. Just as long as we can avoid the 48mm of rain that followed. 

I've also just quoted myself at 8.30am in the weather thread. I've well and truly entered the vortex lobe.

• Upvote 1

Did it rain in 2013 I have no memory of this, I remember sleeping in the park on the Saturday as I had over indulged on the Friday and I remember getting burnt on the Friday as a nice lady was concerned at my face and gave me sunscreen. That was my first Glasto and I have a lot of photos and none seem to be in rain or mud

4 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Did it rain in 2013 I have no memory of this, I remember sleeping in the park on the Saturday as I had over indulged on the Friday and I remember getting burnt on the Friday as a nice lady was concerned at my face and gave me sunscreen. That was my first Glasto and I have a lot of photos and none seem to be in rain or mud

Definitely on the Thursday. We were stuck boozing in the camper.

5 minutes ago, Barneym said:

I think it rained either weds or thurs evening briefly and that was pretty much it. 

2 minutes ago, Barneym said:

It only rained on the Thursday from about 2 until Friday morning. It was a very dull and damp start to the festival ( And I'm not talking Beady Eye) and then the Sun came out for about 3 or 4 hours and without a hat or Suntan lotion I thought it'd be a good idea to burn my face off. Moral of the story....It doesn't matter how damp or cloudy it is ALWAYS have a hat with you.

I've just purchased a new waterproof jacket on amazon (mind slightly blown by being able to have it delivered later on today)

There does look to be a change in weather pattern which will mean that all being well any rain we get moving forward will have sunnier periods in between which although positive my fear is that damage may have already been done and without sufficient wind / sun won't be repaired in time for the increase in "traffic" on the site.

I'd say one of the more important periods of time will be next weekend when all of the traders will be turning up on site to set up.

10 minutes ago, GrowlerPhil said:

It only rained on the Thursday from about 2 until Friday morning. It was a very dull and damp start to the festival ( And I'm not talking Beady Eye) and then the Sun came out for about 3 or 4 hours and without a hat or Suntan lotion I thought it'd be a good idea to burn my face off. Moral of the story....It doesn't matter how damp or cloudy it is ALWAYS have a hat with you.

Thanks all and oh god Beady Eye that was so terrible. The Hives straight after however were amazing 

43 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Think Norway is far enough away not to have much bearing on the site. Unless someone knows different, maybe I need to widen my net on the forecast monitoring. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've just purchased a new waterproof jacket on amazon (mind slightly blown by being able to have it delivered later on today)

There does look to be a change in weather pattern which will mean that all being well any rain we get moving forward will have sunnier periods in between which although positive my fear is that damage may have already been done and without sufficient wind / sun won't be repaired in time for the increase in "traffic" on the site.

I'd say one of the more important periods of time will be next weekend when all of the traders will be turning up on site to set up.

Make sure you give it a good test by standing in the shower with a grey t-shirt on underneath for a minute or so. My GF ordered a ‘waterproof’ coat from amazon, it failed this test miserably, with water coming in through the seams and zip after just a few seconds. Cue a trip to Go Outdoors!

15 minutes ago, Charm said:

Found this on the glastocam thread, good to monitor for live weather close to the site, thanks @Ayrshire Chris.

Charm x

https://glastonbury.uk/marketplace-webcam/

I can't be the only one expecting @The Nal to stand in the middle of the screen holding a sign with "We're F***ed" at some point between now and the festival...