The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

54 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Ah .... the good old days. We went down early on the Wednesday in '97 and had no clue what to expect. I had to call work from a phone box (this was the only useful number I could remember) and try to plead to a workmate to contact someone in my group to spread the word to bring wellies and even waders. This was urgent. Some didn't get the memo.

98 - it rained and rained. I couldn't actually remove my wellies by the end and slept the last night (morning, probably) with my feet sticking out of the tent.

2007 - Ugh

2016 - Just muddy and hard work. I wasn't cold, wet & miserable though.

97 was our first year too, can't have been that bad because we kept coming back despite two epic muddy years in a row..  it was nice to finally sit on the grass in our 3rd year at the festival ?

5 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Update on this load of old nonsense

Usual caveats apply, just for fun etc.

ECMWF-15 13/06/2019 00Z

image.png.df94c4eacfe4f252f80e6fd13e323d85.png

Main change is a bit more of a trend towards normal in the week before / week of the festival, and a worrying little uptick in wetter / wettest on the Thursday.  Still early days though, no need for panic

GEFS 13/06/2019 00Z

image.thumb.png.611e9c3483c70b50af246de0ed61398f.png

The US model likes the current wet conditions a bit more for next week (I blame Trump), then trends very heavily to normal after that.

I like this... something positive. 

As long as we get a few dry days before the festival starts then dryish throughout it will be pretty good conditions. 

Although this thread gives me palpitations, I must say it is the only thing keeping me going this last week of work before the fest. Plus I’ve actually learnt quite a lot of things about weather patterns etc on this which is quite nice for a science nerd like me ?

Edited by xandercs12

12 minutes ago, briddj said:

Wimbledon88 is back again, cheery as ever: " Looks like the middle/end of next week continues the unsettled theme according to ECM. Though slightly warmer. Could be a long wait for summer.  "

Christ he's a bore isn't he?! Bet he's a great laugh at parties.

Looks to me like we're teetering on the edge of a scorcher. Reports are for a solid band of high pressure to be coming in from the south east and covering about half of the UK by the time of the festival.

Just one little push further west and we'll be basking in the sun all week...

• Upvote 2

Just now, Vanderlyle said:

Looks to me like we're teetering on the edge of a scorcher. Reports are for a solid band of high pressure to be coming in from the south east and covering about half of the UK by the time of the festival.

There's a real chance, but those charts are just too far in the future for any confidence.

1 minute ago, Vanderlyle said:

I like you and your username.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, briddj said:

There's a real chance, but those charts are just too far in the future for any confidence.

Quite. Good for 4 days out at best. Literally anything can and probably will happen. But another 2.5 weeks of this shit we have st the moment? Surely not...

16 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

I always liked you.

13 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Quite. Good for 4 days out at best. Literally anything can and probably will happen. But another 2.5 weeks of this shit we have st the moment? Surely not...

Seemingly things haven't been quite as bad in Pilton as the surrounding areas. Most of the indicators are that in the immediate future there will continue to be plenty of showers but in the week leading up to the festival things will get better.

Its been horrible in Belfast for ages now but surely there's only so much rain to go  round so I'm thinking if some of it is here then there's less of it for Pilton. I can take that. 

2 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

At the risk of sounding like Wimbldon88...even in grim years I've turned up and the ground high up, if it hasn't been driven on, will be like this...It's down in the valley that the issue. 

Even in 2016 there was no mud on Hitchin Hill. Just a small path with a little mud from the route people walked out from the campsite on.

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

At the risk of sounding like Wimbldon88...even in grim years I've turned up and the ground high up, if it hasn't been driven on, will be like this...It's down in the valley that the issue. 

Yep let’s see some tests around SE corner and left field!