The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

16 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

Shows how utterly pointless it is me being obsessed with this thread. Yesterday morning was doom and gloom and this morning we're looking at the possibility of a bloody heatwave. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Aye, just done this as well. 

Everyone go and buy expensive walking gear and rain coats so we can guarantee dry and hot weather!

Have bought decent ponchos and rain covers for rucksacks this week.

So much rain up in Yorkshire this last week or so I can't get my head round the fact Pilton seems to have been spared.  Mentally set for a wet one despite the videos, reports from the ground and forecasts.  Better that way I reckon.  Expect rain, get rain - so be it.  Expect rain, get dry - BEST GLASTO EVER!!!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yokel Again said:

Likewise, bought some new wellies this week after my old ones got buried under a tonne of earth in the garden. I too was hoping this would encourage the sun gods.

Every time the weather looks like its taking a turn for the worse, I get another item of wet weather clothing / protection.   So far I'm up to walking boots, seelskinz socks and pack ponchos.  

I've still got a full scuba suit in a basket on my amazon as a back up offering to the rain gods.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

Shows how utterly pointless it is me being obsessed with this thread. Yesterday morning was doom and gloom and this morning we're looking at the possibility of a bloody heatwave. 

Agree that it's too far out to predict anywhere near accurately, but the reason why is because all the charts are only just coming into view for the festival period. So there's only even a slight scientific method now, whereas two days ago there was just guessing.

3 minutes ago, Northtim said:

So much rain up in Yorkshire this last week or so I can't get my head round the fact Pilton seems to have been spared.  Mentally set for a wet one despite the videos, reports from the ground and forecasts.  Better that way I reckon.  Expect rain, get rain - so be it.  Expect rain, get dry - BEST GLASTO EVER!!!

Same in Manchester. It's been fairly relentlessly shit so it's always a nice surprise to hear it isn't as bad in Pilton. 

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Every time the weather looks like its taking a turn for the worse, I get another item of wet weather clothing / protection.   So far I'm up to walking boots, seelskinz socks and pack ponchos.  

I've still got a full scuba suit in a basket on my amazon as a back up offering to the rain gods.

Click buy!

(you can always send it back)

12 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Those two spikes later on the precipitation ensemble don't look good though.  I had thought/hoped that they were an anomaly in the previous run and would never be seen again but it's making me want to call over the dog giving the side eye.

EDIT - As was pointed out by @majormajormajor this chart was for Bedfordshire. It turns out there's people who are interested in the weather in places other than Glastonbury?  I don't get it.  How very odd.

image.png.37a13f343513f256b6bed7523440c88c.png

I'm sure I've seen something like this before....

tent.PNG

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Indeed. Under promise, over achieve ?

26 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Click buy, wait for it to arrive, AND THEN chuck it on the sacrificial bonfire... ? It's the only way. ?

I'm another one of those who finds it hard to picture weather that's anything other than what I'm currently experiencing. Consequently the extremely wet (and cold!) scenes from London this week have been getting me down. Forecasts for both London and Pilton look much improved from next week, though, so I am trying to be hopeful.... 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

32 minutes ago, cossie said:

Yes I agree...97 was my first Glasto, thought it cant be as bad again so rocked up in 98...don't think it stopped raining from start to finish that year

Ah .... the good old days. We went down early on the Wednesday in '97 and had no clue what to expect. I had to call work from a phone box (this was the only useful number I could remember) and try to plead to a workmate to contact someone in my group to spread the word to bring wellies and even waders. This was urgent. Some didn't get the memo.

98 - it rained and rained. I couldn't actually remove my wellies by the end and slept the last night (morning, probably) with my feet sticking out of the tent.

2007 - Ugh

2016 - Just muddy and hard work. I wasn't cold, wet & miserable though.

9 minutes ago, psychology said:

Click buy!

(you can always send it back)

I'm waiting for biblical conditions before I buy that bad boy.  Might get a snorkel for now.

26 minutes ago, richy24 said:

I'm sure I've seen something like this before....

tent.PNG

It explains why I thought it was for Glastonbury

13 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Does anyone else have every Welly, boot, trainer, shoe and sandal in a "to be packed" line and shift focus from the Wet Gear end to Sunny Beach as these reports come in?

Not really to be honest. I'm boots and shorts what ever the weather.  just depends if the rain coat comes out the tent or not.

29 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Does anyone else have every Welly, boot, trainer, shoe and sandal in a "to be packed" line and shift focus from the Wet Gear end to Sunny Beach as these reports come in?

To an extent, though I could never wear sandals at a festival no matter how dry it is. Just can't bust the same moves with sandals.

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

To an extent, though I could never wear sandals at a festival no matter how dry it is. Just can't bust the same moves with sandals.

As a middle aged Dad it's more like, if I attempt a move I bust. 

I attempted flip flops in 2010. After they flew off and hit passers by the tenth time my daughter suggested I go back to boots.

Edited by Gedh

37 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Hiking boots and trainers for me. I'm not really a welly guy at all. If I could survive 2016 in boots then I reckon I'm good

1 minute ago, Hotchilidog said:

Hiking boots and trainers for me. I'm not really a welly guy at all. If I could survive 2016 in boots then I reckon I'm good

I've never actually used the wellies even in 2016 but I do like to have the nuclear option.

Update on this load of old nonsense

Usual caveats apply, just for fun etc.

ECMWF-15 13/06/2019 00Z

image.png.df94c4eacfe4f252f80e6fd13e323d85.png

Main change is a bit more of a trend towards normal in the week before / week of the festival, and a worrying little uptick in wetter / wettest on the Thursday.  Still early days though, no need for panic

GEFS 13/06/2019 00Z

image.thumb.png.611e9c3483c70b50af246de0ed61398f.png

The US model likes the current wet conditions a bit more for next week (I blame Trump), then trends very heavily to normal after that.

1 hour ago, Northtim said:

Mentally set for a wet one despite the videos, reports from the ground and forecasts.  Better that way I reckon.  Expect rain, get rain - so be it.  Expect rain, get dry - BEST GLASTO EVER!!!

This is the correct way. It's terrifically easy to take a layer off.

It takes quite the forecast for me to take my poncho out of the daybag, and not got soaked in er.... er.... nope. Never been soaked that I remember. Can remember lots of gigs I've been able to stay while much of the crowd has legged it though, and I had to go back and get waterproof trousers once or twice so I could sit.

Be prepared and it's a doddle.