The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

2 hours ago, liquuid_fusion said:

I thought 2007 was far worse than 2016 due to the cold and relentless rain. It was so depressing on Sunday night when the rain kept getting harder again. I was watching Bill Bailey who I love but I couldn't even laugh! We drove back that Sunday night, luckily getting straight out the car park (our friends were stuck in the car park the next day for 8+ hours), but it took us something like 10 hours to get up to Lancaster due to driving through the heaviest rain i'd ever seen on the motorway.

If the forecast was ever for another 2007 i'd probably cut my losses and not go...!

2007 is when Sheffield and South Yorkshire was under water for days, a mate was at Glasto, got back home Monday night and had to walk home for miles because the transport was off. Then he couldn’t have a shower because there was no power!

3 hours ago, barkley87 said:

I remember laying awake in my tent on Monday morning in Row Mead and it being quiet apart from the sound of the rain hitting the tent and people shouting coach numbers so people knew it was time to get up and go to their coach. Then when we did get to the coach park it was one big unorganised queue with people getting squashed and having to stand for hours.

That reads like a scene from an edgy Vietnam War Film

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

It’s the week before that matters - see 2007 and 2016

Yes indeed and both of those on the back of all month totals of >600 whereas this year we are under 400 and by all accounts the worst of it missed the site narrowly in recent weeks. If there's a trend towards drier, more settled weather in the run up things should be grand. Unless we have a really bad couple of weeks I don't hmthink it's the end of the world. 

I would however caveat this by saying I have no idea what I am talking about. 

3 minutes ago, alibear said:

Is it raining there yet? Looks like a massive band of water is heading Pilton's way, though it might pass north (again)

No. Forecasts are a partly educated guess. What is happening outside is different from Shepton or Taunton or Brizzle. It will be weather and we have it every day. 

20 minutes ago, alibear said:

Is it raining there yet? Looks like a massive band of water is heading Pilton's way, though it might pass north (again)

It’s not even raining in Portishead despite the radar showing otherwise. My mates just came over and put my spare tent up in prep for two weeks time.  It’s dark and occasional drizzle but nothing of the horror that looks like it’s meant to be coming over!! 

5 hours ago, stopwn1981 said:

Is gav trolling us?

30A9A822-9E16-47C2-9105-7557E424FFDF.png

4 hours ago, tumbles said:

It looks like a good fingering from the azores, its just how deep it penetrates. 

3 hours ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Just now from the Netweather model thread, Azores high with another shout out!

Yes the building blocks are there for something much improved, too many in here are obsessing over the details of individual runs and theatrically throwing words like 'vile', 'dire' and 'atrocious' at them.

There is a definite trend for heights lowering over Greenland. Also on this latest GFS run, later on the door seems to be opened for the Azores high to begin to extend towards our shores. No real heat showing but at this time of year it will be warm enough in any sunshine.

2 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Come on you beauty!

giphy.gif

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.fdc25c19287e3c34cd4ed0f0a8d57798.gif

Please beware. I know I've posted this gif once but if you think that's going to stop me continuing to do so, all I can say is....IMG_20181212_220331.jpg.b6ea194f7e07cb9dd2ac0d8650e7edb8.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.fdc25c19287e3c34cd4ed0f0a8d57798.gif

Please beware. I know I've posted this gif once but if you think that's going to stop me continuing to do so, all I can say is....IMG_20181212_220331.jpg.b6ea194f7e07cb9dd2ac0d8650e7edb8.jpg

Hopefully the next set of GFS runs will show that it was an error / outlier and that good boy will stop giving us the side eye.

I don't want to think about it being validated though.

14 minutes ago, ImposterSyndrome said:

Yeah, because valleys don’t channel rain from other areas ?

Not sure if this is a serious post but there are many factors to why that is a wrong statement. For starters people who live in the area have said it hasnt impacted the ground there. We also have the river going through site that I've been told is completely fine