The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

17 minutes ago, liquuid_fusion said:

I thought 2007 was far worse than 2016 due to the cold and relentless rain. It was so depressing on Sunday night when the rain kept getting harder again. I was watching Bill Bailey who I love but I couldn't even laugh! We drove back that Sunday night, luckily getting straight out the car park (our friends were stuck in the car park the next day for 8+ hours), but it took us something like 10 hours to get up to Lancaster due to driving through the heaviest rain i'd ever seen on the motorway.

If the forecast was ever for another 2007 i'd probably cut my losses and not go...!

I remember going from Chem Bros to Bill Bailey with my mate....half way through his set (which we could hardly hear) I   reached into my pocket to get a fag out and found that my waterproof jacket was no longer waterproof and had soaked my phone, wallet and my 20 pack of Marlboro lights had disintegrated. I was so wet I hadn't noticed. :(

We looked at each other and decided enough was enough and decided to go and finish off the gram of Charlie I had luckily left in the inside pocket of my rucksack at our tent and chat nonsense for a few hours over some beers. :)

Edited by gooner1990

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Sorry I've been so busy. Will keep up from now on...but could someone give me a summary? What's the current state of ground and current prediction of weather towards festival etc? When does jackone make an appearance.

Ground is bone dry. Well is almost bone dry. Forecast is for some light showers over next few weeks becoming more settled and warmer towards end of month 

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

I completely disagree and think 2016 was way worse than 2007.

Didn't have the nightmare traffic in 2007, and at least you could just slop through the mud.

2016 was the year of not being arsed to walk anywhere anymore because it was just too much effort.

2016 can get in the bin basically.

Sounds like you've just got older ?

Just now from the Netweather model thread, Azores high with another shout out!

Yes the building blocks are there for something much improved, too many in here are obsessing over the details of individual runs and theatrically throwing words like 'vile', 'dire' and 'atrocious' at them.

There is a definite trend for heights lowering over Greenland. Also on this latest GFS run, later on the door seems to be opened for the Azores high to begin to extend towards our shores. No real heat showing but at this time of year it will be warm enough in any sunshine.

Just now, bigfurbdogg said:

Yes the building blocks are there for something much improved, too many in here are obsessing over the details of individual runs and theatrically throwing words like 'vile', 'dire' and 'atrocious' at them.

There is a definite trend for heights lowering over Greenland. Also on this latest GFS run, later on the door seems to be opened for the Azores high to begin to extend towards our shores. No real heat showing but at this time of year it will be warm enough in any sunshine.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Caribun said:

Hey, there's another tree in the garden that I'll happily sacrifice if it means this rain stops!! ?

Can I do that? That would be pretty awesome. 

Well there are wood turning classes in the greenfields. Bring along a lump and see. As it is a recent fall it might not be seasoned enough to do anything fancy with it but one of the places must be able to do something with it. Even if it was burning your name and Glastonbury 2019 into it ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

I'd forgotten this/blocked it out. We left the campsite around lunchtime and eventually got back to London after midnight. Virtually every car had to be pulled out by tractor.

Think we were stuck for 8hrs and no drink and just 1 bag of chow chow nuts between 4 that were rationed. 

30 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

2007 was fine up until early hours of Friday morning.

We were in the Bread n Roses bar on the Thursday evening, rain lashing down. The ladies queuing for the nearby portaloos were standing in large  puddles of water supplemented by overflowing portable urials. However the site was relatively ok until Friday lunchtime when it was inundated with heavy rain just as The Automatic opened the Other Stage.

Edited by Lycra

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

We were in the Bread n Roses bar on the Thursday evening, rain lashing down. The ladies queuing for the nearby portaloos were standing in large  puddles of water supplemented by overflowing portable urials

That's not Wednesday afternoon though is it?! ;)

2007 was horrendous. Cold and wet. Genuinely wouldn't go if I knew I was getting that again. 

2016 was a pain getting around but can't remember it being that bad generally. 

Seeing as I haven't got a ticket this year I'm not too fussed on the weather either way but hopefully you'll have it good ?

28 minutes ago, Boilingtent said:

was 2016 even that bad? I have pretty much no memory of it being that wet just that it was a great year! And no I wasnt off my head for (all) of it!

Not bad at all. Just hard to get around due to the mud. 

I didn't go 2007 but constant rain would be so much worse. 

2 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

Not bad at all. Just hard to get around due to the mud. 

I didn't go 2007 but constant rain would be so much worse. 

2007 was bad, but 1997 seemed a lot worse. Probably because ic only been twice before (94 & 95) and they were both scorchers. 95 especially. When I went back in 97 it was a shock - it was liquid mud everwhere by the Friday, dull and grey the whole time. I was not prepared, not even any wellies. 

BUT did get to see Radiohead do possibly one of the best gigs of all time. The atmosphere was the most electric I've ever experienced anywhere. Then I stayed for the week after doing security! Boy was I ready to come home....

18 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Come on you beauty!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 6

Just now, Duggyfresh44 said:

2007 was bad, but 1997 seemed a lot worse. Probably because ic only been twice before (94 & 95) and they were both scorchers. 95 especially. When I went back in 97 it was a shock - it was liquid mud everwhere by the Friday, dull and grey the whole time. I was not prepared, not even any wellies. 

No rain during the actual festival in 97. 98, however ...

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

That's not Wednesday afternoon though is it?! ;)

Wednesday evening we walked in rain down to a small bar near where the John Peel used to be. Can still hear Aldo's whinging......He abandoned and went home Saturday morning.

Yeah 2016 wasn’t actually that bad during the festival, there was rain but not really at annoying times, mostly in the morning for short bursts. I don’t ever really remember getting caught in it.

As we all know the main issue was the biblical rain in the run up, and they fact that the little rain we had during the festival came frequently enough for the ground to churn up again every time it looked like sorting itself out.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton