The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, Caribun said:

Hey, there's another tree in the garden that I'll happily sacrifice if it means this rain stops!! ?

Can I do that? That would be pretty awesome. 

Well there are wood turning classes in the greenfields. Bring along a lump and see. As it is a recent fall it might not be seasoned enough to do anything fancy with it but one of the places must be able to do something with it. Even if it was burning your name and Glastonbury 2019 into it ?

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

Never went in 2016 but that tbh doesn't look that bad?  -  last time I went to a muddy one was 1997 (which destroyed my calves) however since my mid life crisis wouldn't stretch to a Porsche I started trail/ocr racing so mud's par for the course.  

tg.jpg

When they said just run through the mud I think they meant more across it than literally through it in a 3-dimensional immersive sense

Also this mass of rain appears to be rotating above me, happy to take this on the nose if it helps.

Edited by frostypaw

This pic is from Sunday 2016, early evening. Just as a soggy cardboard tower was toppled in T&C.

In the foreground you can clearly see the state of what is, in dry conditions, prime sitting territory.

Every bench along the path was rammed with occupants and each had an orbit of 'the unseated' attempting to maintain some momentum in their quest to bag the next available opening. It was like some end of days, mud-ridden, game of musical chairs*

*poetic licence may have been employed

Cardboard Tower.PNG

I was woefully underprepared in 1997 after only experiencing dry festivals before (94/95). Harder to get around then (97) I think, but site nowhere near as big. Spirits had sapped by the Sunday evening on both occasions, although no LCD Soundsystem to restore them in 1997. But no Brexit depression, like in 2016.

Hope that clears it up.

Just now, barkley87 said:

I wasn't there in 2016 but 2007 was my first one and it was hard work. So what was worse, 2007 or 2016?

Rain - 2007 it barely stopped. 2016, sunday was a bit grim, but apart from that, there wasn't too much rain really.

Mud - 2007 was awful, but I suppose we did at least have a glorious Wednesday. 2016 was bad for mud from the word go.

Just now, Yokel Again said:

Rain - 2007 it barely stopped. 2016, sunday was a bit grim, but apart from that, there wasn't too much rain really.

Mud - 2007 was awful, but I suppose we did at least have a glorious Wednesday. 2016 was bad for mud from the word go.

2007 is the right answer.  Although the mud was probably sloppier and therefore more navigable - the rain though.  Relentless and totally dispiriting.

1 minute ago, Yokel Again said:

If we're talking only about mud, there is a possible case that 2016 was slightly worse (stickier mud?) but of course the rain is a major factor as well, so definitely 2007 worse overall.

Just now, richy24 said:

2007 was also Cold!! I remember being absolutely freezing on the  Sunday - although being my first Glastonbury i was woefully under-prepared!

Same. I took waterproofs that leaked all the way through and I soon ran out of dry clothes.

8 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

I wasn't there in 2016 but 2007 was my first one and it was hard work. So what was worse, 2007 or 2016?

2007 - mud I can deal with, but the constant rain on top just sapped the life out of me by the Sunday afternoon.

I actually asked guy who drove us if he would take us home on the Sunday night after the headliners but he was already 8 pints and two pills down so I just had to get stuck in myself to help relieve the pain!

Just now, t0paz said:

I'd definitely take 2016 over 2007. It seemed like the rain didn't stop and the cold made it worse. Definitely the worst journey back to the car I've ever had!

As I remember it, the rain on Monday morning was horizontal at times. 

I took the soaking tent and rucksacks to the car (up the hill of death) then went back to help my wife get our four year old son and his pushchair up that mighty slope.