The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Just now, MrHew said:

I don't mind the mud like that (would obviously prefer none though) because everyone's moving around fine. It's the sticky, effort to move through stuff that I can't cope with.

The main downside in 2016 for me (as others have said) was that there was nowhere to sit down. I remember there was dry grass on the Wed/Thurs by John Peel (which was actually one of my best ever days at any Glasto I've ever been to) but the rest of the time there was nowhere for my exhausted legs to sit and that, coupled with the glud just knackered me beyond belief!

3 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

The main downside in 2016 for me (as others have said) was that there was nowhere to sit down. I remember there was dry grass on the Wed/Thurs by John Peel (which was actually one of my best ever days at any Glasto I've ever been to) but the rest of the time there was nowhere for my exhausted legs to sit and that, coupled with the glud just knackered me beyond belief!

That is one of the biggest issues for me when it's muddy, can't beat a good sit on some dry grass when you're fucked 

44 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm pretty confident it won't be a repeat of this

Never went in 2016 but that tbh doesn't look that bad?  -  last time I went to a muddy one was 1997 (which destroyed my calves) however since my mid life crisis wouldn't stretch to a Porsche I started trail/ocr racing so mud's par for the course.  

tg.jpg

1 minute ago, Lees23 said:

Never went in 2016 but that tbh doesn't look that bad?  -  last time I went to a muddy one was 1997 (which destroyed my calves) however since my mid life crisis wouldn't stretch to a Porsche I started trail/ocr racing so mud's par for the course.  

tg.jpg

Yeah, but that's just for a couple of hours. This was five days of hard work.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

For this reason, our group has all bought one of these each

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NT77GT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

6 minutes ago, JayBalls said:

That is one of the biggest issues for me when it's muddy, can't beat a good sit on some dry grass when you're fucked 

Why does everyone keep saying this?  There are seats at Glastonbury.  Chairs, benches, all that!  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MrHew said:

I don't mind the mud like that (would obviously prefer none though) because everyone's moving around fine. It's the sticky, effort to move through stuff that I can't cope with.

I remember being in the pit for Muse and people were just glued in to the ground. People literally couldn't moved and after the show we were helping to pull each other out of the mud. It was the weirdest atmosphere I've ever known for a show. People were just defeated and we ended up paying attention to people having their wellies pulled off in the mud as they walked past than the actual show. 

I will stand by 2016 being my favourite Glastonbury yet despite the mud, but that Muse show in particular was awful and (say what you will about Muse) the mud was the biggest factor in that.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why does everyone keep saying this?  There are seats at Glastonbury.  Chairs, benches, all that!  

I think everyone had the same idea in 2016 so as a result there weren't any left when I was looking :( Plus, even just sitting up by the Glasto letters in the Park was a no go.

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I am genuinely sorry for you about this, @Caribun...

But trust me - if that becomes a very sad sacrifice that results in your first Glastonbury being dry, you might never know how worth it it was!

Ben

Hey, there's another tree in the garden that I'll happily sacrifice if it means this rain stops!! ?

2 hours ago, Gedh said:

Bring a lump of the wood along to the craft fields and make yourself a spoon in memory ?

Can I do that? That would be pretty awesome. 

• Upvote 1

It’s going to be fine and there will be loads of grass to sit on and sunshine to warm our faces. We haven’t had much rain if late, I know this last few days has been bad but the ground would of been rock hard and it would take a solid week or so of rain to create 2016...... PMA 

16 minutes ago, matthewy2 said:

For this reason, our group has all bought one of these each

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NT77GT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oops...

Save em for the garden.. I

t'll be one less thing to take home after not being able to use them.... 

Unless it's HOT.. let's hope Yea 

6 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

Just a warning, those will sink in mud or even vaguely soft ground, unless you put something under it.

I was thinking that.  Guess you could heavily tape up each leg to increase they're size, bulk them out so they don't instantly sink.  Look really comfortable, but if it was sunny enough to use them I'd just be sat on the ground.

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

I was thinking that.  Guess you could heavily tape up each leg to increase they're size, bulk them out so they don't instantly sink.  Look really comfortable, but if it was sunny enough to use them I'd just be sat on the ground.

A piece of cardboard underneath works, but leaves you carrying round a muddy piece of cardboard. Apparently a squashed beer can under each foot works, I've not tried it though.

3 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

I think everyone had the same idea in 2016 so as a result there weren't any left when I was looking :( Plus, even just sitting up by the Glasto letters in the Park was a no go.

Yeah second that, you were very lucky to find seat/bench that wasn't already taken.

Talking of the glud and things sinking, a not so fond memory of 2016 was walking with the masses at a snails pace along the train track from the Glade towards the Avalon. On route and out of nowhere, I was grabbed by a guy who's prosthetic leg had got stuck in the mud and had literally come off. Will never forget the look of terror in not only his but his wife's eyes, they both just looked helpless. Stood there being held on by this chap whilst our group shouted down for people to stop (which was really hard given the amount of people moving) and then we pretty much dragged him, his wife, and his leg to the side of the walk way. Happened so quickly but definitely put a weird twinge on the rest of the evening after that.

Not at all wanting to tempt fate, but would appreciate not having a repeat of this...

Hi all,

Only my second post after a good while of lurking.  This thread has kept me entertained for a week or two.  So many different takes on the forecast.

It does remind me of the saying "If you strangle the information for long enough, you will get the statistics you are looking for"

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not easy finding a seat when the ground is ruined - it certainly wasn't in 2016.

Plus it's nice to be able to just sit down on the grass wherever you please. 

54 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

I remember the walk up to the sign. Took ages as I had to keep zigzagging back and forth to attack the hill on and angle as going straight up was a definite no no.

I haven’t felt fear before or since that like I did when walking back down. 1 slip and not only would I have ended up right at the bottom of the hill (and quickly!) but would likely have wiped many other out like pins on the way down!

45 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Crush a beer/cider can flat, place it under each foot, pick them up and pop them in a recycling bin when you move on.

10 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Crush a beer/cider can flat, place it under each foot, pick them up and pop them in a recycling bin when you move on.

This.  Also discarded paper beer cups flattened and folded.  Worked fine with our similar chairs in the carnage of 2016.