The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

A poor build-up isn't necessarily the end of the world. It's all about having warm, dry weather during the festival.

2011 showed that sun and a rise in temps during the festival can be enough to dry out even the worst ground conditions. The mud on arrival in 2011 was pretty similar to 2016, and it even hammered it down all Friday night. And yet by Sunday the place was a desert, fine for sitting on.

3 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

A poor build-up isn't necessarily the end of the world. It's all about having warm, dry weather during the festival.

2011 showed that sun and a rise in temps during the festival can be enough to dry out even the worst ground conditions. The mud on arrival in 2011 was pretty similar to 2016, and it even hammered it down all Friday night. And yet by Sunday the place was a desert, fine for sitting on.

Even in 2016 it almost dried out. The weather was mostly fine until Friday night/Saturday morning. Then it tipped down early doors. Waking back to our tent on Friday I remember thinking it might trainer conditions soon...

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Even in 2016 it almost dried out. The weather was mostly fine until Friday night/Saturday morning. Then it tipped down early doors. Waking back to our tent on Friday I remember thinking it might trainer conditions soon...

and it was by monday.  The ground was wonderfully bouncy,  it made the walk to the car an absolute breeze - if infuriating because if we had monday's weather at any point over the fest, it would have made so much difference

1 hour ago, Caribun said:

The weather is so bad that the lovely pear tree in my garden has fallen down. :( this is putting a serious downer on the lead up to my first festival! 

Bring a lump of the wood along to the craft fields and make yourself a spoon in memory ?

Can anyone please help? If I drill into a day (on accuweather specifically) and it says for instance 2mm of rain in the day..... Does anyone know if this means 2mm of rain forecasted in total over the day or an average rate of rainfall of 2mm per hour? Confused and it obviously makes a difference. The internet would seem to suggest where mm rain is quoted it is a rate of rainfall. 

6 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Can anyone please help? If I drill into a day (on accuweather specifically) and it says for instance 2mm of rain in the day..... Does anyone know if this means 2mm of rain forecasted in total over the day or an average rate of rainfall of 2mm per hour? Confused and it obviously makes a difference. The internet would seem to suggest where mm rain is quoted it is a rate of rainfall. 

I am unfamiliar with this drilling into a day procedure 

8 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I'm pretty sure it means the total rain forecast, not the rate of rainfall. Though it does tell you how many hours of rainfall so you can work out the rate of rainfall from that.

2 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I'm pretty sure it means the total rain forecast, not the rate of rainfall. Though it does tell you how many hours of rainfall so you can work out the rate of rainfall from that.

This is very much the answer I was hoping for. It has 0-2 hours rainfall per day in general and totals of 0-2mm in each of those days. Bit of a disconnect between the mood created by the little rainclouds and the reality of the stats behind them. Unless the ground was in bad shape before hand that amount of rain shouldn't be any issue whatsoever. Just enough in the run up to make the ground soft enough to receive a good pegging. 

14 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

It's the total rainfall over that whole period. Its not particularly clear which hours they count as day and night but if there's 2mm due over the whole day (say 6am - 6pm) that really wouldn't be anything to worry about.

58 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm pretty confident it won't be a repeat of this. B)

I don't mind the mud like that (would obviously prefer none though) because everyone's moving around fine. It's the sticky, effort to move through stuff that I can't cope with.