The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Some fun factoids from the internet:

Despite there being only a few millimetres of rain during the weekend, there was rain in 8 out of the 9 days leading up to ‘the year of the mud’, also known as Glastonbury 1997 with 78mm falling in total. Before the 1997 festival, about 110% of the average rainfall for June fell in the runup to the opening day.

By 2007 £750,000 worth of flood defences were in place, so flooding was minimal, but as you could expect it was still very muddy and wet. At nearby Rodney Stoke weather station, 60.1mm of rain fell on the wettest day.

22 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

By 2007 £750,000 worth of flood defences were in place, so flooding was minimal, but as you could expect it was still very muddy and wet. At nearby Rodney Stoke weather station, 60.1mm of rain fell on the wettest day.

My brother came back from '97 with trench foot. 

2007 was the worst I ever experienced... it was just foul all weekend. One of my favourite years in hindsight (bad weather always leads to a good party), but an absolute slog for the whole week.

2005 was most "extreme" - blazing sunshine in the lead-up, everyone sunburnt on the Wednesday and Thursday then the heavens opened Thursday night (just after my friend had passed out in his tent with the door open ?) ... by Friday morning stages were sinking and there were people canoeing around the Pyramid markets! By Sunday we were dancing to Brian Wilson on solid ground.

12 minutes ago, Magma said:

My brother came back from '97 with trench foot. 

2007 was the worst I ever experienced... it was just foul all weekend. One of my favourite years in hindsight (bad weather always leads to a good party), but an absolute slog for the whole week.

2005 was most "extreme" - blazing sunshine in the lead-up, everyone sunburnt on the Wednesday and Thursday then the heavens opened Thursday night (just after my friend had passed out in his tent with the door open ?) ... by Friday morning stages were sinking and there were people canoeing around the Pyramid markets! By Sunday we were dancing to Brian Wilson on solid ground.

I have similar experiences.   

My wife got trench foot too in 97.   Everyone got issued blue polythene bootees at Castle Carey Station so they didn't spread mud onto the trains.    Occasionally you spotted people wearing them in other stations on the way back home and waved!

2005, listening to the rain pounding on the tent for hours before sticking my head out to see my mate stark naked and covered in suds having a shower in the thunderstorm.

2007 smelling like a wet dog.  The Iggy Pop stage invasion.  Great year but you're right it was a slog.

2016 was the worst for me in the sticky mud.   Hopefully things will dry up before it opens.

1 minute ago, Bags73 said:

2007 smelling like a wet dog.  The Iggy Pop stage invasion.  Great year but you're right it was a slog.

2007 was also the only time I've ever accidentally got in trouble with security at Glastonbury ?... but tbh, 8 hours under the shelter of Land Rovers and the roofs of the Bath & West Showground wasn't the worst result.

So many stories from that year. 

6 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

2005, listening to the rain pounding on the tent for hours before sticking my head out to see my mate stark naked and covered in suds having a shower in the thunderstorm.

???

Just now, Magma said:

2007 was also the only time I've ever accidentally got in trouble with security at Glastonbury ?... but tbh, 8 hours under the shelter of Land Rovers and the roofs of the Bath & West Showground wasn't the worst result.

We're all listening... You can't say that and not give us the story!

57 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

Some fun factoids from the internet:

Despite there being only a few millimetres of rain during the weekend, there was rain in 8 out of the 9 days leading up to ‘the year of the mud’, also known as Glastonbury 1997 with 78mm falling in total. Before the 1997 festival, about 110% of the average rainfall for June fell in the runup to the opening day.

What does that actually mean?  There was 10% more rain than normal?

2 minutes ago, Magma said:

???

Spill the beans

4 minutes ago, Magma said:

???

this needs to be shared, I do festival security and have been on the other side of some interesting situations

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What does that actually mean?  There was 10% more rain than normal?

It means that if you take the whole amount of rain that is expected to fall in the month of June, more than that fell in the "run up to the opening day", which is fairly vague. If the run up was three days then that's a lot of rain for 3 days, if the run up was 110% of the length of June then it's exactly average rainfall. So, who knows:)

2 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

Yeah it was absolutely baking on the Wednesday and Thursday in 2005.   I phoned my Dad who said to prepare for a deluge on Friday morning.   I thought he was taking the piss.  

8 hours later people were in canoes.  

One of my lasting Glasto memories when the thunder and lightning started. The first crack got a defiant cheer up on the stone circle but the 2nd one much closer a few minutes later sent people all....

tenor.gif?itemid=5206303