The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Folks please calm down. Those of you who don’t live in Pilton - you have weather , same as Pilton, but not the SAME as Pilton.

so we had drizzle from 2.30 yesterday. It did NOT bucket down, it just rained. 

This morning, currently it is not raining. The birds are tweeting. The high tech ram jar rain measure says 2cm 

0115E3C1-CBCB-4AC9-8C2C-3BC1A241E281.jpeg

I'll consider this as a positive update, Dee. That pear needs eating though...

3 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Spare a thought for those attending Download this weekend. They always seem to cop the terrible weather both beforehand and during the event.

Wouldn't that be their preference?

Can't imagine all that black clothing and leather jackets are particularly good in hot weather?!

Edited by JoeyT

It really does look like things are set to improve from Saturday onward.   Well when I say "improve" I mean there's less rain and the temperature rises.  

I just hope this is part of a longer trend and not just a cruel ruse to get our hopes up.

4 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Spare a thought for those attending Download this weekend. They always seem to cop the terrible weather both beforehand and during the event.

TBF, that's what you get for having a festival at the start of June.

Although saying that, I've been five times and if I recall, the weather was only awful once. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

Folks please calm down. Those of you who don’t live in Pilton - you have weather , same as Pilton, but not the SAME as Pilton.

so we had drizzle from 2.30 yesterday. It did NOT bucket down, it just rained. 

This morning, currently it is not raining. The birds are tweeting. The high tech ram jar rain measure says 2cm 

0115E3C1-CBCB-4AC9-8C2C-3BC1A241E281.jpeg

From now on I will only use the deebeedoobee pear scale when discussing rain fall 

Just now, Tdiz said:

From now on I will only use the deebeedoobee pear scale when discussing rain fall 

Fnar fnar

actually there has been a slight complication in that the pear has now been consumed for breakie. It was there for scale and prop duties.

tomorrow will have to be an apple for scale

The forecast on the BBC app for Pilton is now up to the Monday before the festival and it doesn’t give any rain after this Saturday coming, and even then it’s only showers. If this comes off the ground will be fine for sure. 

1 hour ago, paulshane said:

the opening of the jar is smaller than the width of the base, so the level will be ever so slightly under reading, but it'll be about the same for a square meter, as thats how it works :)

This has finally just dropped for me! Of course...

13 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

The forecast on the BBC app for Pilton is now up to the Monday before the festival and it doesn’t give any rain after this Saturday coming, and even then it’s only showers. If this comes off the ground will be fine for sure. 

Especially with the predicted temperatures.

48 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Fnar fnar

actually there has been a slight complication in that the pear has now been consumed for breakie. It was there for scale and prop duties.

tomorrow will have to be an apple for scale

Use big dog for scale (just unashamedly trying to get to see big dog tbh).

1 hour ago, ripcurl85 said:

went in 2012 and was some of the worse weather I've ever seen at a festival and first time I've ever left a festival "early" on the Sunday after Rise Against 

10 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Use big dog for scale (just unashamedly trying to get to see big dog tbh).

He said no press photos as he is decidedly shabby this morning and will not be going out in the wet where the ram jam jar is. He has agreed to release his modelling portfolio photo.

BF8ECCB8-693B-4DEB-BD9F-C5E5584AFDDE.jpeg

• Upvote 10

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hang on, doesn't the ram jar show that 20mm fell?  Isn't that... quite a lot?

It's not a small amount but not enough to trigger emergency plans (that's my area of work).    Usually you need an amber weather warning for that followed by an amber flood guidance statement.    That usually only happens for totals of 40mm+ and only for less if it's chucked it down for weeks and the ground is waterlogged.

I'm sure the ground can cope with 20mm, possibly more.   So long as there's time for it to be absorbed before loads of people start walking/driving on it.

Just now, Bags73 said:

It's not a small amount but not enough to trigger emergency plans (that's my area of work).    Usually you need an amber weather warning for that followed by an amber flood guidance statement.    That usually only happens for totals of 40mm+ and only for less if it's chucked it down for weeks and the ground is waterlogged.

I'm sure the ground can cope with 20mm, possibly more.   So long as there's time for it to be absorbed before loads of people start walking/driving on it.

So we're halfway to an emergency?

ARRAGRGRGGHGH!

• Like 1