The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

21 minutes ago, xandercs12 said:

I would think this is good no? Rain out the way and then a drier festival? When was the last time it rained for 3 weeks straight? Very unlikely so I’m still confident all will be ok

It's the rain during the run-up that could knadger the ground though.

on a positive note though, thank f**k Somerset isn't getting the kind of rainfall that Lincolnshire is lined up for this week. Because there would be no going back from that!!!

Edited by Duggyfresh44

20 minutes ago, xandercs12 said:

I would think this is good no? Rain out the way and then a drier festival? When was the last time it rained for 3 weeks straight? Very unlikely so I’m still confident all

1 minute ago, xandercs12 said:

Get the rain out the way and gives more time for any effed up ground to dry up. (Trying to be optimistic) ?

Yep....that's true.

4 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

It's the rain during the run-up that could knadger the ground though.

on a positive note though, thank f**k Somerset isn't getting the kind of rainfall that Lincolnshire is lined up for this week. Because there would be no going back from that!!!

The ground is fine. We’ve had the driest 6 months in bloody years.  It’s also still so variable - rain one minute then breeze and sunshine the next. Worry if it’s still raining the Monday before.. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tumbles said:

The ground is fine. We’ve had the driest 6 months in bloody years.  It’s also still so variable - rain one minute then breeze and sunshine the next. Worry if it’s still raining the Monday before.. 

Yes this is also the case, and that's something to be thankful for!

Netweather lads saying the latest set of model runs are looking better, our mate Azores High even gets a shout out.

Much better ecm too - by day ten Synoptics looking much more like what you’d expect in summer, with low pressure back up towards Iceland/Greenland, with the Azores high nosing in at times. Baby steps...

Edited by bigfurbdogg
  • Upvote 2

You only get a relatively accurate forecast 5-7 days in advance. Heavy rain the week leading up to 100k+ arrivals on the Tuesday/Wednesday would be a concern, especially given the experience of 2016.  The drainage work done 10 years ago makes a huge difference and post 2016 most of the wood chips in SW England was on the farm.  It’s as prepared as it could be.

It’s it’s pouring the week before -throw the wellies and cagoule on.  Im an optimist - we won’t need them (fingers crossed). Optimism not based on any science!

Edited by March Hare

7 minutes ago, March Hare said:

You only get a relatively accurate forecast 5-7 days in advance. Heavy rain the week leading up to 100k+ arrivals on the Tuesday/Wednesday would be a concern, especially given the experience of 2016.  The drainage work done 10 years ago makes a huge difference and post 2016 most of the wood chips in SW England was on the farm.  It’s as prepared as it could be.

It’s it’s pouring the week before -throw the wellies and cagoule on.  Im an optimist - we won’t need them (fingers crossed). Optimism not based on any science!

Exactly. You’d have thought after 2016 they will be more than prepared 

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

This is my take on things as well ?

• Like 1

This thread is a daily, or even hourly, emotional rollercoaster. Every year I say I won’t look at it....

forecast looks good, stick, forecast looks bad, it’s bullshit, don’t worry it’s too far out to be accurate, the ground will be dry even if it rains now, forecast looks good, stick....repeat ad infinitum