The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, Titters said:

Hi guys. 

As suggested by @JoeyT - I've updated the Rainfall records summary table I put together in 2017...

The historical data is taken from here: 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/data/download.html

And the 2019 June figures are taken from here: 

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/?site_id=3017226

Neither are Pilton specific, but they give a general view of how wet the weather was in the build up to the festival. The rain yesterday seemed to hit the weather station (which is just west of the M5) more heavily that on the ground reporters @deebeedoobee, @pilton digger and Big Dog would suggest. If anyone knows a closer weather station that records rainfall, please let me know. 

Some thoughts... 

2007 shows that grim mud will still arrive if heavy rain continues to fall over festival weekend, even if the build up is dry. 

2009, 2010 and 2017 show that a dry spring will let the ground easily cope with a wet first week of June. Like we've had so far in 2019. 

2011 and 2016 show that a pretty soggy fortnight prior to gates opening will result in tough conditions. 

So.... As has been suggested many times, the table backs up the view that if the wet stuff can keep calm over the next couple of weeks, the pretty rubbish start to June will be forgotten. 

Also, if we'd had a festival in 2018, it would have been like tarmac. Conversely, 2012 would have been snorkels and canoes all round. (Seriously, compare the numbers to 2016 and 2007...). 

Fest.jpg

Look at 2007. No wonder it was like the Somme by the time it ended. Utterly miserable.

5 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

Also, if we'd had a festival in 2018, it would have been like tarmac. Conversely, 2012 would have been snorkels and canoes all round. (Seriously, compare the numbers to 2016 and 2007...). 

Had a holiday in the village last year at festival time, walked the site most days and it was dry and dusty. The fields that weren’t in crop were really solid. Terrific weather and it would have been phenomenal festival conditions. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isle of Wight moved to Glastonbury weekend that year

lol  owned

I went... never again it was horrendous!! The vip camping was washed out after the Friday and a lot of the people camping in that area left, was really poorly dealt with. But the Sunday was boiling

still put me off never to return, done benicassim last year to get some guaranteed sunshine

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"However, I'm afraid that this is also likely to bring in much heavier rain". 

We're only 17 days out. A lot of rain in the run up and then rain during the festival.

This is really really bad news. 

Please tell me that we are fucked ?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Somerset news running a less an positive interview with met office forecaster. He sees a wet run into the fest and rain during with temperatures lower than average.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-festival-weather-mud-rain-2952487.amp

What an absolute load of ..app ...Somerset live is bloody awful 

It will be dry or it won’t, no amount of posts will change a single thing.  On a side note 2016 was my favourite ever glasto, it seemed that year the weather really brought people together...there was a whole fuck it attitude, let’s get stuck in. I felt the complete opposite in 2017, the weather somehow didn’t bring people together.  Just my opinion, I’m sure people here have completely different experiences to mine.

3 hours ago, Titters said:

Hi guys. 

As suggested by @JoeyT - I've updated the Rainfall records summary table I put together in 2017...

The historical data is taken from here: 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/data/download.html

And the 2019 June figures are taken from here: 

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/?site_id=3017226

Neither are Pilton specific, but they give a general view of how wet the weather was in the build up to the festival. The rain yesterday seemed to hit the weather station (which is just west of the M5) more heavily that on the ground reporters @deebeedoobee, @pilton digger and Big Dog would suggest. If anyone knows a closer weather station that records rainfall, please let me know. 

Some thoughts... 

2007 shows that grim mud will still arrive if heavy rain continues to fall over festival weekend, even if the build up is dry. 

2009, 2010 and 2017 show that a dry spring will let the ground easily cope with a wet first week of June. Like we've had so far in 2019. 

2011 and 2016 show that a pretty soggy fortnight prior to gates opening will result in tough conditions. 

So.... As has been suggested many times, the table backs up the view that if the wet stuff can keep calm over the next couple of weeks, the pretty rubbish start to June will be forgotten. 

Fest.jpg

Great work.

TBH it clearly all hinges on whether we get a settled end to the month; May has been so dry that another week of poor weather will be manageable. Just needs to brighten up after then. All to play for. 

We really were so unlucky in 2014 - all drying out on Friday only for that storm to hit the site.

Had a holiday in Cornwall in 2012 over Glastonbury weekend. It rained non-stop, drove back past Bristol on what would have been the Friday of the festival and it was raining so hard I had to pull the car over.

Interesting figures.

It's very difficult to get any clear picture of what's going to happen at the moment - various weather sites contradicting each other and even then changing in s daily basis, 

The current uncertainty is killing me. Opinion seems to lurch from 'it's going to be ok' to 'it's going to be an apocalyptic mudbath.'

I know some people are fine with the mud - I'm not to be honest. This year will be my 16th Glastonbury and I'm getting a bit old to deal with trudging about in the sticky, claggy stuff with few options of sitting down.

Hoping for some good news soon - I don't mind it being a bit wet but things seem to be looking very ominous at the moment.....

4 hours ago, ThePlacidCasual said:

It will be dry or it won’t, no amount of posts will change a single thing.  On a side note 2016 was my favourite ever glasto, it seemed that year the weather really brought people together...there was a whole fuck it attitude, let’s get stuck in. I felt the complete opposite in 2017, the weather somehow didn’t bring people together.  Just my opinion, I’m sure people here have completely different experiences to mine.

I've got to agree, I didn't think 2016 was that bad anyway, but I've done enough to not let the mud bother me too much. 2017 in theory should have had an amazing vibe but it was one of the poorer festivals for me, though I was staying offsite in B&W and that had an effect.