The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

13 minutes ago, richy24 said:

If anyone wants some really depressing reading, take a look at the last couple of pages of the Netweather forum

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/91894-model-output-discussion-the-start-of-summer/page/15/

I quote...."June 2012 was the record wettest with 145mm, if some of those ppn charts verify for the next 10 days, then that record could be seriously under threat come the end of the month. Failing that, it should easily make it into the top 10 hall of shame"

Urghh...

taken from the same thread...

So I think besides those opening two days the first half of June looks pretty lacklustre but heatwaves can pop up at very short notice at this time of the year so there is still no way we can write off summer yet and compare it to 2007 or 2012. A fair few of the Junes in the 1990s were stinkers but delivered some good heat later (e.g. 1990 and 1997) so no need to panic at this point.

3 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

taken from the same thread...

So I think besides those opening two days the first half of June looks pretty lacklustre but heatwaves can pop up at very short notice at this time of the year so there is still no way we can write off summer yet and compare it to 2007 or 2012. A fair few of the Junes in the 1990s were stinkers but delivered some good heat later (e.g. 1990 and 1997) so no need to panic at this point.

1997? ?

4 hours ago, Havors said:

We can dream.... but we know any forecast over 10 days ahead is always a complete guess. Hell lets be honest anything over a 4 ish days is a complete guess. 

Oh hai, thread. Read an article the other day that suggested a 7 day forecast has a 50% chance of being accurate and 5 day forecast has an 80% chance. My god is it fun to speculate though

16 minutes ago, mark_ovens said:

Oh hai, thread. Read an article the other day that suggested a 7 day forecast has a 50% chance of being accurate and 5 day forecast has an 80% chance. My god is it fun to speculate though

It makes me go through my packing list every time I read something different! 

Forecast said no rain until later this evening so I popped to the shop in sandals, cropped trous and cardy. About one minute into my 'pop' the sky opened and it shat it down on me. It's at least the 4th time that's happened to me in recent weeks. Conclusion is that forecasts are nonsense and I'm not taking my sandals to Glasto cos they seem to be a Jonah.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

Met Office make me laugh. "We have no fuken idea"

Wednesday 12 Jun - Friday 21 Jun

Wednesday is likely to be windy and rather chilly for the time of year. Rain in the south may spread further north during the day, with showers following behind from the south. Thursday and Friday could well be rather unsettled too, with the wettest weather in the east of the UK. Temperatures will remain a little below average. Next weekend will probably be on the wet and windy side in the south and east, but with more chance of dry and bright weather in the north and west. Into the following week, further showers or longer spells of rain are likely at times. However, there will be more in the way of dry spells too. Temperatures will perhaps recover to average temperatures for June.

19 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

Can anyone think of a profession (apart from tory MP) where you can get things so get things so consistently and comprehensively wrong and still remain in a job?

Political commentators- job for life!