The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Look at the amount of rain in the next 10 days. Brings us right up to Sunday week and no signs of slowing.

The site won't recover from this. 

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Pilton~7292387/long.html

Now I am no meteorologist but 11 MM of rain in a week doesn't sound like a lot to me, in old money that's less than half an inch

12 minutes ago, Havors said:

So good that they change daily.... 

Even based on good science they are a guess. The longer ahead they predict the more unreliable they are. 

Unless its apple weather and then its always wrong no matter what. :D 

To be fair, they've all been predicting this rain today for a while now.

13 minutes ago, Havors said:

So good that they change daily.... 

Even based on good science they are a guess. The longer ahead they predict the more unreliable they are. 

Unless its apple weather and then its always wrong no matter what. :D 

I think you may need to check your definition of the word 'guess'. 

So long as the days showing as "Rain" turn out to be showers and not the deluges 2016 got it should be fine.

However I've only been to one dry Glasto (2017) in all the times I've been so my muddy ticket curse seems like being fulfilled again....

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yes it was. Much worse. 

Yup - 2016 was constant rain-dry daily alternating up to the festival - there were video reports coming from Bramble FM trying to make things sound better and I'll admit to plenty of praying that the brief patches of sun would dry things out but it was relentless.

This is much more varied. This morning's run's the worst I've seen for a while, hence the Nal's return, but still that 'worst' is over the next few days with plenty of OK weather after it.

Plenty of room for change still, nothing seems guaranteed - which is a big improvement on the years when we've had the jetstream heading right for us and we're staring a queue of storms down already. Patterns don't seem as stuck in that groove.

Also this year's weather bad?!? I was out camping in Feburary in great comfort - BBQs earlier than ever - it's been weird but it's been good. Just need that promised few months of warmer now

4 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I think you may need to check your definition of the word 'guess'. 

Semantics. 

Jesus all the pedantic meteorologists are online today! My point stands.... the longer ahead the prediction the less accurate.

Talk about strawmanning :D

40 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I tend to feel the same. If it was lovely and hot now I'd be thinking it'll never last.

This. Because I somehow manage to convince myself that every month has a defined sun and rain quota where Glastonbury's concerned.

Although my current line of conversation is mostly restricted to:

Sunny: "It'll be amazing if the weather's like this at Glastonbury"

Raining: "I hope the weather's not like this at Glastonbury"

I'm very fun to be around right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Yup - 2016 was constant rain-dry daily alternating up to the festival - there were video reports coming from Bramble FM 

I'd have loved to have seen videos from Bramble FM as they would have been hilarious but I think you mean Worthy FM.

BTW Bramble FM are making their last ever Glastonbury appearance this year so if you want to piss yourself laughing then Saturday and Sunday afternoons opposite the Summer House is the place to be

http://www.alternativecaravanclub.co.uk/bramble-fm.html

From the netweather forum:

Looking more and more likely this June will go down in history as memorable - but for all the wrong reasons.

June 2012 was the record wettest with 145mm, if some of those precipitation charts verify for the next 10 days, then that record could be seriously under threat come the end of the month. Failing that, it should easily make it into the top 10 hall of shame. 

In case you want to look yourself - https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/91894-model-output-discussion-the-start-of-summer/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-4041823

Edited by JoeyT

3 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Jesus Christ, i wish i didn't just read through all that.

Just pick one comment that suits our desires and ignore the rest.

"Anyway, just looked at the Ecm 00z operational and it's nowhere near as bad as last evening's 12z, there's more fine than wet and more warm than cool! "