The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

10 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

My thoughts exactly, be arriving on site late Thursday afternoon. Wee bit of rain on Wednesday to assist with getting the tent pegs in at the expense of those lucky enough to be able to get there on Thursday would be a win all round. 

You miss 7.30am International Airport pints and, in the case of 2016, two-runs-to-the-offies-across-the street-whilst-stuck-in -Bristol-Bus-Station pints with all this Thursday business.

4 minutes ago, rubick said:

You miss 7.30am International Airport pints and, in the case of 2016, two-runs-to-the-offies-across-the street-whilst-stuck-in -Bristol-Bus-Station pints with all this Thursday business.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose. Getting the weans minded and out of school is the problem these days. If we are lucky enough to get tickets next year we are going to bring the bastards along with us. Make a week of it. 

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Swings and roundabouts I suppose. Getting the weans minded and out of school is the problem these days. If we are lucky enough to get tickets next year we are going to bring the bastards along with us. Make a week of it. 

Aye, there's chat of hotel stays either end of the festival in our house. Clean sheets and a big plate for the buffet. 

It was only the Wednesday that was insanely hot in 2017. The few days leading up to the festival were unbearable in London. I remember working from home with two fans trained on me. I was quite worried about how I'd cope at the festival then. I did 2010 but it was much hotter in 2017 in the days before I reckon. Anyway we had a horrific journey on a coach with no air con (you could wring our clothes out) and putting up the tent wasn't much fun but it was a lovely evening once we got there. And then like magic it cooled down by about 10 degrees overnight and was glorious.

11 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Ignoring that since you can hardly predict a thunderstorm, i'd rather blazing sunshine for the resr of the festival if we had to make a small sacrifice ??‍♀️

I remember in 2011 we put the last peg in the tents and the heavens opened just for us to dive in and spend the next hour or so reading the programme and having a few cans.

13 minutes ago, Padgey said:

I remember in 2011 we put the last peg in the tents and the heavens opened just for us to dive in and spend the next hour or so reading the programme and having a few cans.

The heavens opened as I was puttimg the 1st peg in. That was less fun. 

21 minutes ago, rubick said:

Aye, there's chat of hotel stays either end of the festival in our house. Clean sheets and a big plate for the buffet. 

The hotel in Bristol on the Monday is great. The year we did that I honestly don't know if I would have survived the airport and flight home. The bus up to Bristol was horrendous and seemed to last for about 3 days. There was a film showing on the bus and it made literally no sense to me what was happening in the film which made me deeply unsettled as other people were watching it and seemed to find nothing out of the ordinary. Never been as happy to get into a shower. 

41 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It was only the Wednesday that was insanely hot in 2017. The few days leading up to the festival were unbearable in London. I remember working from home with two fans trained on me. I was quite worried about how I'd cope at the festival then. I did 2010 but it was much hotter in 2017 in the days before I reckon. Anyway we had a horrific journey on a coach with no air con (you could wring our clothes out) and putting up the tent wasn't much fun but it was a lovely evening once we got there. And then like magic it cooled down by about 10 degrees overnight and was glorious.

Aye I remember London being an absolute bastard that week. We actually decided to hold back on coming until Thursday as Mrs Jass was  pregnant and we thought it could be dangerously hot for her.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

2010 was the hottest festival but the Wednesday of 2017 was the single hottest day. I was very grateful that it cooled down for the rest of the festival and my husband finally accepted that too hot is also bad! 

23 hours ago, Padgey said:

I still have nightmares about the Wednesday downpour in 2011. Literally had got our group through gate D and the heavens opened. 

19 hours ago, Lycra said:

So the latest 6 weeks/3 month heatwave as forecast by the press is due to last......1 day (Saturday) !

Camping in Dorset this week and it’s been variable - yesterday was horrible rain most of day but ground is still hard as you like - rain was soaked up straight away.  Looking at forecast next 10-14 days seems a bit wetter for Pilton but nothing that’ll wreak the site 

36 minutes ago, tumbles said:

I still have nightmares about the Wednesday downpour in 2011. Literally had got our group through gate D and the heavens opened. 

Definitely the worst time to get caught in it.  Can't turn back so just got to crack on and get that tent up.

2 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Definitely the worst time to get caught in it.  Can't turn back so just got to crack on and get that tent up.

"Fond" memories of finally getting the tent up, and cracking open a can, only for Mrs Elk to start laying into me, as she had discovered just how waterproof our rucksacks were (not very at all).  I felt this was slightly unfair, as I'd never claimed they were (well maybe a little when we were actually queuing to get in), and it was only the first couple of layers of her clothes that were soaked.

After a home made sangria and a sit down she was thankfully happier.

3 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

"Fond" memories of finally getting the tent up, and cracking open a can, only for Mrs Elk to start laying into me, as she had discovered just how waterproof our rucksacks were (not very at all).  I felt this was slightly unfair, as I'd never claimed they were (well maybe a little when we were actually queuing to get in), and it was only the first couple of layers of her clothes that were soaked.

After a home made sangria and a sit down she was thankfully happier.

putting things in bin bags when packing should help that problem :) 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

putting things in bin bags when packing should help that problem :) 

Well yes, that was a lesson learnt that year.  My wife did say something similar on the Wednesday, but with more expletives 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5n88mb#?nearestTo=Pilton&date=2019-05-30

13th-27th June Met office latest

Confidence is generally low through this period. The start of the period is likely to see a continuation of the cool and changeable conditions, with further showers or longer spells of rain, especially in the northwest. By mid-June there are indications of generally drier, more settled conditions being established across the UK. This change will be more marked across northwestern areas, following the changeable start to June. There are likely to be further changeable spells during the period, with a risk of thundery showers, more especially in the south. Temperatures will probably be above normal or warm overall for the time of year, with the warmest conditions most likely in the south and southeast.

Updated: 04:00 (UTC+1) on Thu 30 May 2019

Edited by simonizer
extra content

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

Well it looks as if the next 2 weeks are likely to be cool and wet. Plenty of rain around (50mm indicated for Glastonbury). Lets hope it all clears mid month!

that's perfect, increases the likelihood of the following 2 weeks being not cool and damp ;)

4 hours ago, simonizer said:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcn5n88mb#?nearestTo=Pilton&date=2019-05-30

13th-27th June Met office latest

Confidence is generally low through this period. The start of the period is likely to see a continuation of the cool and changeable conditions, with further showers or longer spells of rain, especially in the northwest. By mid-June there are indications of generally drier, more settled conditions being established across the UK. This change will be more marked across northwestern areas, following the changeable start to June. There are likely to be further changeable spells during the period, with a risk of thundery showers, more especially in the south. Temperatures will probably be above normal or warm overall for the time of year, with the warmest conditions most likely in the south and southeast.

Updated: 04:00 (UTC+1) on Thu 30 May 2019

Pretty changeable then.

I work in News so our Weather man/Meteorologist is about to be asked for weekly updates on the weather until the event itself. Of course, I'll choose not to listen if it starts turning to bad news! He's currently saying it's anyones guess for weather that far ahead :( 

• Upvote 1