The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Looks like they are due a bit of rain in the next week but not loads which is good. The longer it's dry the more nervous I get that it will shit it down for the festival. Bits of rain with decent temperatures in the run up will do nicely for me. 

13 hours ago, Stretlow said:

On Wednesday?

We were sat in the beer garden and people literally didnt move for hours.. The bar staff ended up taking soft drinks out to the cars

We set off at like 12 or 1 am the next day on our 30 seater coach we had booked from Preston, was expecting to be queing up by 6/6:30...

due to the conditions of 2016, we were stuck on the coach till around 12 pm the next day and traffic were at an absolute standstill.

To make matters worse, the coach company (illegally) sent one driver - bare in mind we're about 6/7 miles out from the campsite at this point... he turns around and says "sorry I can't take you any further, I legally can't continue driving". 

So there we were, 30 of us stranded in the middle of nowhere, surrounding coaches all looking at us like what the hell are they doing walking, our group split up as we were all going at different paces. I remember I had done about 2 miles with all my stuff and I eventually caved. I couldn't walk any further with these bags, but in true Glasto spirit, someone pulled over and offered to take me and my friend's bags in for me. 

I had no idea who this person was and they could have robbed all my belongings in that bag and I'd have been able to do nothing! 

I eventually met him in the furthest car park possible (what are the chances - which took a total 2 HOURS ROUND TRIP ONCE IN THE CAMPSITE DUE TO THE MUD!

I bought him a beer inside the festival along with some money for the gratitude and cracked on with Glasto 2016!

Got a bit side tracked there and ended up explaining the whole story...but that sums up 2016 weather IMO.

THE END!

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Looks like they are due a bit of rain in the next week but not loads which is good. The longer it's dry the more nervous I get that it will shit it down for the festival. Bits of rain with decent temperatures in the run up will do nicely for me. 

Yup, at the moment metcheck has 3mm of rain forecast for all of June while accuweather is more negative (think it's around 15-20mm for all of june). As I've said before, all it will do is soften the ground and keep the dust down. If anything, it will help the ground absorb the rain so should a big downpour occur, water won't just sit on the surface and make a lot of sloppy mud.

Temperatures aren't looking too bad, ranging between 16° (metcheck) and 21° (accuweather), though that's probably because it's too far out to predict so they are sticking close to the average temps for this time of year

1 minute ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Yup, at the moment metcheck has 3mm of rain forecast for all of June while accuweather is more negative (think it's around 15-20mm for all of june). As I've said before, all it will do is soften the ground and keep the dust down. If anything, it will help the ground absorb the rain so should a big downpour occur, water won't just sit on the surface and make a lot of sloppy mud.

Temperatures aren't looking too bad, ranging between 16° (metcheck) and 21° (accuweather), though that's probably because it's too far out to predict so they are sticking close to the average temps for this time of year

I love how for about a month of the year I become obsessed with meteorology :D 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

barely any rain upto 11th June now 

within 2 weeks we will see the first charts for the beginning of glasto

the red line is the mean which is showing a mostly dry period for the next 2 weeks

Somer.jpg

I know it's too early to get excited about the weather, but this graph makes me excited about the weather 

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:35 AM, LSTx said:

We set off at like 12 or 1 am the next day on our 30 seater coach we had booked from Preston, was expecting to be queing up by 6/6:30...

due to the conditions of 2016, we were stuck on the coach till around 12 pm the next day and traffic were at an absolute standstill.

To make matters worse, the coach company (illegally) sent one driver - bare in mind we're about 6/7 miles out from the campsite at this point... he turns around and says "sorry I can't take you any further, I legally can't continue driving". 

So there we were, 30 of us stranded in the middle of nowhere, surrounding coaches all looking at us like what the hell are they doing walking, our group split up as we were all going at different paces. I remember I had done about 2 miles with all my stuff and I eventually caved. I couldn't walk any further with these bags, but in true Glasto spirit, someone pulled over and offered to take me and my friend's bags in for me. 

I had no idea who this person was and they could have robbed all my belongings in that bag and I'd have been able to do nothing! 

I eventually met him in the furthest car park possible (what are the chances - which took a total 2 HOURS ROUND TRIP ONCE IN THE CAMPSITE DUE TO THE MUD!

I bought him a beer inside the festival along with some money for the gratitude and cracked on with Glasto 2016!

Got a bit side tracked there and ended up explaining the whole story...but that sums up 2016 weather IMO.

THE END!

I feel you! In 2016, we treated ourselves to a B & B 3 miles (as the crow flies) from the Festival site. We set off around 7am and didn't get there until mid to late afternoon... At one point- much too late- i got out with my ticket and our tent and started walking: about 45 mins later the car overtook me ?. I eventually got back in. The carpark we ended up in wasnt even on the map. Despite this and the referendum and the mud, 2016 was one of my fave (if difficult) years ?. But also don't want to repeat the conditions any time soon! 

4 hours ago, gfest2009 said:

I feel you! In 2016, we treated ourselves to a B & B 3 miles (as the crow flies) from the Festival site. We set off around 7am and didn't get there until mid to late afternoon... At one point- much too late- i got out with my ticket and our tent and started walking: about 45 mins later the car overtook me ?. I eventually got back in. The carpark we ended up in wasnt even on the map. Despite this and the referendum and the mud, 2016 was one of my fave (if difficult) years ?. But also don't want to repeat the conditions any time soon! 

I was speaking to my friend about this earlier. There was about 12 of us got a minibus from Cardiff and as we never moved for about an hour half the group volunteered to take all our tents, set up camp and then we would bring the rest of the stuff when we got there. 

What actually happened was they got out and walked for about 2-3 hours whilst we stayed on the minibus drinking. We arrived at the gate literally 2 minutes after them. I felt so sorry for them.

4 minutes ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

Premature? Absolutely. Reliable at this point? Probably not.

Regardless, I will 100% take this long-range forecast!

1.png

Wouldn't that be beautiful.

Would still add a few degrees on to those temps though if i was being fussy.

4 minutes ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

1.png

Ideally add 6°c to those temps and we are talking perfect festival weather.

2 minutes ago, dccool said:

Ideally add 6°c to those temps and we are talking perfect festival weather.

After the queues and heat on the Wednesday of 2017, I'm more than happy to take the -6°c hit while we wait to get in!

Edited by Ryan1984

7 minutes ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

1.png

Why are the forecasts so good? What's going on? ?*

And where is The Nal? I fear being lulled into a false sense of security 

*Monacle man definitely looks better on WhatsApp 

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

After the queues and heat on the Wednesday of 2017, I'm more than happy to take the -6°c hit while we wait to get in!

Same. 2017 didn't feel too cold the rest of the time, a nice 19/20 or so will do me fine. 

Its def a stick from me too....epecially when you consider some of the more miserable alternatives 

On 5/25/2019 at 3:04 PM, briddj said:

45 minutes of horrible rain at All Points East yesterday and the grass didn't even cut up at all. Trainers not even muddy. Shows that the ground is going to be able to take a good amount of rain (I realise a park is different to farmland, btw. )

It drizzled all afternoon on the Sunday at Shindig (which is near Glasto) and I was still able to get about the place in trainers and thick socks with no issues at all.