The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

I know....but this thread would be way less good at distracting me from thesis writing if we played by those very sensible rules

Haha, that's completely fair! Despite what i said above, i'm still already addicted to this thread and get excited by any sign of positivety. 

I honestly love this thread so much, especially when we get under 10 days till the gates open.

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I don't really understand the walking boots thing. If it's muddy then surely you need wellies, otherwise all the mud would get in the laces and seep into your socks. I have a good pair of walking boots but they wouldn't be up to the job of a Glasto mudbath. On the flip side, if it's dry why would you want o be wearing heavy walking boots all the time?

I can see that there's a specific window in which they might be a useful, but for me that makes them not worth taking.

I've only ever worn wellies for half a festival, absolutely hated them. Thankfully this was at a festival in Ireland and I'd driven to the site so had trainers in the car. Even in the 2016 mud I found boots to be no problem. Definitely my weapons of choice, but would be nice to experience Glastonbury with something a little lighter on my feet. 

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I don't really understand the walking boots thing. If it's muddy then surely you need wellies, otherwise all the mud would get in the laces and seep into your socks. I have a good pair of walking boots but they wouldn't be up to the job of a Glasto mudbath. On the flip side, if it's dry why would you want o be wearing heavy walking boots all the time?

I can see that there's a specific window in which they might be a useful, but for me that makes them not worth taking.

I used walking boots just fine in 2016, was a nightmare wearing wellies as the mud was actually taking your welly off. Seen lots of people turning ankles or just falling over in general. Walking boots make it so much easier in that weather. Plus if you have a decent pair they are waterproof and wont seep in through where the laces are as that part is waterproof too. 

trainers for dry weather,

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigfurbdogg said:

As much as i'd love to believe a good forecast for the festival, there is absolutely no way they can be predicting with any confidence how much rain will be falling on particular days. 

At this far out we could still have 5 days of wall to wall sunshine or 5 days of rain, it's still all to play for.

Totally right. I've been following the weather for this Friday for all points east for the last 7 days. Even in the last 24hrs the weather forecast has changed 4 times...

48 minutes ago, rubick said:

My partner and I try to carry the bare minimum with us across to Glastonbury - I usually wear my walking boots for the entire journey and festival. We've got it down to one large bag and one small bag between us, which is all our clothes for the week and sleeping bags, leaving a couple of sets of arms free for carrying the week's refreshments! I'd rather have a couple of spare t-shirts or boxers in the bag rather than lugging a pair of size 11 trainers to Somerset!

In which case walking boots even 5 days out they can be wrong and the weather could turn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubick said:

Relevant to my prep, this.

I recently bought new hiking boots (same brand and model as the pair that have I've used for 9 Electric Picnics, 3 Glastonburys and a few hundred miles of hill walking) and have been wearing them in on daily danders. They are heavy (probably because they have more grip on them than the older pair!), and was wondering if I could risk just wearing trainers - I can't pack both as we're flying in to Bristol and getting a coach/ticket to the site. 

All about keeping an eye on the Weather Thread I guess!

What boots have you bought if you don't mind me asking?

I need to sort some out. I've got a pair of £50 Karrimors that I hate, they keep my feet dry but they are uncomfortable and after a couple of days my feet are killing me. I haven't binned them yet (maybe burying them would be more fitting ?). 

I've been looking around online but can't see the difference between a £40 pair and £250 one.

I've ordered some proper hiking socks, once they come I'm gonna hit the shops.

I wore walking boots in 2005 and 2007 with no problems but in 2016 ended up going with wellies instead as my boots were just getting clogged up too much. Overall I prefer walking boots though. I've just purchased a new pair with lovely peacocks on them which I'm looking forward to wearing rain or shine

6 minutes ago, mazola said:

What boots have you bought if you don't mind me asking?

I need to sort some out. I've got a pair of £50 Karrimors that I hate, they keep my feet dry but they are uncomfortable and after a couple of days my feet are killing me. I haven't binned them yet (maybe burying them would be more fitting ?). 

I've been looking around online but can't see the difference between a £40 pair and £250 one.

I've ordered some proper hiking socks, once they come I'm gonna hit the shops.

Here you go:

https://www.shoestationdirect.co.uk/northwest-inuvik-mens-leather-trail-hiking-walking-lace-up-boots/

I got mine on eBay for £33. Never had any bother with them, although as a rule I wear two pairs of thin socks with them. I'd honestly be wearing my older pair of the same brand if I could, but the grips are very worn on them. Retiring the older set to the garden!

• Upvote 1

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Bertrand Russell

10 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:
If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Bertrand Russell

Blah blah blah. What is Mr Russell predicting the weather to be? That’s what we care about

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Voucher Boy said:

Blah blah blah. What is Mr Russell predicting the weather to be? That’s what we care about

He reckons the wind will be so great as to blow a man hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a great ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair. 

Which sounds like every Sunday afternoon I have spent at the festival 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lycra said:

Metcheck forecasting mild temperatures and wet start ?

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/180days.asp?MonthOf=6&zipcode=Glastonbury

From experience the only forecasts I'd believe are the ones 2-3 days before the fest.......Remember.....Over the last month we've had multiple forecasts for 6 week & 3 month heatwaves coupled with warnings of Bank Holiday washouts!..... Seen none of this here in the Midlands....It's all to do with selling newspapers! 

Edited by Lycra

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

From experience the only forecasts I'd believe are the ones 2-3 days before the fest.......Remember.....Over the last month we've had multiple forecasts for 6 week & 3 month heatwaves coupled with warnings of Bank Holiday washouts!..... Seen none of this here in the Midlands....It's all to do with selling newspapers! 

And now its saying mild temps and no rain at all. I'll gladly take that, I'd rather it be a little warmer though!

Obviously at this stage any forecast is in no way guarantee but it is comforting that the overall trend of all the different forecasts is that of a dry festival, especially compared to other years where the daily check of the forecasts would fill people with dread!.

5 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Obviously at this stage any forecast is in no way guarantee but it is comforting that the overall trend of all the different forecasts is that of a dry festival, especially compared to other years where the daily check of the forecasts would fill people with dread!.

Very comforting!!

Imagine the horror of checking every day to see a 10mm+ every day for the whole of june

The farm has a bit of a microclimate going on, Shepton weather is different to Worthy weather.  All forecasts are just that, educated guesswork.  All the dog knows is the ground is rock hard and the buzzards are thermalling today. There will be some weather everyday but until a couple of days before, we know nothing. 

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

And now its saying mild temps and no rain at all. I'll gladly take that, I'd rather it be a little warmer though!

It's all a bit like saying "It's going to be cold & wet in winter and warm & dry in summer" at the mo.