The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

On 5/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, Kinkyinuit said:

That said, the last metcheck forecast has 9mm of rain on the tuesday 25th which could make the ground a bit soggy for the first day but it would mean that tent pegs will go into the ground a bit easier!  

Met check now saying 4mm of rain on wed 26th and 2mm on the Thursday. So many sun emojis leading up to it though...and then more cloud and a wee bit of rain during

15 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Met check now saying 4mm of rain on wed 26th and 2mm on the Thursday. So many sun emojis leading up to it though...and then more cloud and a wee bit of rain during

I'd take that really, a little bit of rain to keep the dust down and we are on to a winner. Cloud during is pretty much 2017 at times apart from some sun at times. It was the wednesday last time where we all suffered! 

10 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Excellent stuff. Accuweather is fairly similar with around 10mm of rain between the Tuesday and Sunday. 

Considering metcheck was the more pessimistic forecast, things are continuing to look good!

59 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Afraid not. Hes in solitary confinement on a small island off the Shetlands. When the police kicked the door down they found him sitting on his mothers twitching corpse while using skull as a soup bowl.

I'm starting to suspect that @The Nal is Jackone (or J10 as he changed his name to, in an attempt to avoid authorities after his first killing spree).  He seems to know so much about the detail of Jackone's downfall, and a lot of those details weren't released to the public.

Location might read, Dublin, but how can we not be sure that it's not really the Shetlands.....

***BREAKING NEWS*** - he's broken cover - Netweather Glasto 2019

6 minutes ago, PorkSoda said:

Sounds like a stupid question. But how much is 10mm of rain, would that still be acceptable trainers weather or would ot be a definite switch to wellies? 

How much rain was there in 2016 & 2017 for markers? 

Qualification, this is what "i reckon", not definitive or scientific at all.

For the whole festival?  10mm is a very small amount for five days.  Trainers would still be fine, but they might get a bit dirty.  If it all fell in an hour, then there would be mud for sure, but it would dry out by the next day.

Relevant to my prep, this.

I recently bought new hiking boots (same brand and model as the pair that have I've used for 9 Electric Picnics, 3 Glastonburys and a few hundred miles of hill walking) and have been wearing them in on daily danders. They are heavy (probably because they have more grip on them than the older pair!), and was wondering if I could risk just wearing trainers - I can't pack both as we're flying in to Bristol and getting a coach/ticket to the site. 

All about keeping an eye on the Weather Thread I guess!

2 minutes ago, rubick said:

I recently bought new hiking boots (same brand and model as the pair that have I've used for 9 Electric Picnics, 3 Glastonburys and a few hundred miles of hill walking) and have been wearing them in on daily danders. They are heavy (probably because they have more grip on them than the older pair!), and was wondering if I could risk just wearing trainers - I can't pack both as we're flying in to Bristol and getting a coach/ticket to the site. 

At the moment even the most optimistic of forecasts would suggest that you'd struggle with just trainers at times.

If it was whether to pack either boots or wellies, I'd confidently say boots.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

At the moment even the most optimistic of forecasts would suggest that you'd struggle with just trainers at times.

If it was whether to pack either boots or wellies, I'd confidently say boots.  

Glastonbury: My Struggle, A Novella

'It was the worst case of Glastoe we'd ever seen...'

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Qualification, this is what "i reckon", not definitive or scientific at all.

For the whole festival?  10mm is a very small amount for five days.  Trainers would still be fine, but they might get a bit dirty.  If it all fell in an hour, then there would be mud for sure, but it would dry out by the next day.

Theres so many factors to consider it's hard to say.

If 10mm came down over an hour or two in the middle of the day then it would cause a fair whack of mud but if the temperature was high enough, it would be there for a day before firming up. 

If it happened between 6am and 10am then it wouldn't be as bad but only because theres less traffic  to churn up the ground.

A smattering of 2-4mm showers throughout the weekend would hardly trouble the ground. It would certainly cause a bit of mud in high traffic areas but nothing to worry about.

1 minute ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Theres so many factors to consider it's hard to say.

If 10mm came down over an hour or two in the middle of the day then it would cause a fair whack of mud but if the temperature was high enough, it would be there for a day before firming up. 

If it happened between 6am and 10am then it wouldn't be as bad but only because theres less traffic  to churn up the ground.

A smattering of 2-4mm showers throughout the weekend would hardly trouble the ground. It would certainly cause a bit of mud in high traffic areas but nothing to worry about.

Nah.  I don't think you'd even notice 4 mm if it was spread out over the day.  Didn't something like that fall in 2017?  There wasn't even any mud whilst it was raining.

10 minutes ago, rubick said:

Glastonbury: My Struggle, A Novella

'It was the worst case of Glastoe we'd ever seen...'

I was always more fear and loathing in Glas-vegas

"We were somewhere near shangri la on the edge of the farm when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should lead..."

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nah.  I don't think you'd even notice 4 mm if it was spread out over the day.  Didn't something like that fall in 2017?  There wasn't even any mud whilst it was raining.

Clearly not as I don't even recall it raining in 2017!

4mm at once though? It would churn up high traffic areas but nothing major

4 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Clearly not as I don't even recall it raining in 2017!

4mm at once though? It would churn up high traffic areas but nothing major

I recall it raining around 1am Saturday morning as I walked from William's Green back to my tent, was only a mild sprinkle 

Boots all the way unless its dusty then trainers. Even a bit of mud can leave that uneven ankle breaking ground when it dries. If its a dust bowl (which it will, fingers crossed) then good trainers all the way. 

Have me wellies, boots, flip flops (for camp only) ready. Got me eye on some fetching Vans for dust bowl. 

40 minutes ago, rubick said:

Could you wear your walking boots and pop in a pair of trainers in your bag? I always work on the principle of wearing the heavier stuff. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

Could you wear your walking boots and pop in a pair of trainers in your bag? I always work on the principle of wearing the heavier stuff. 

My partner and I try to carry the bare minimum with us across to Glastonbury - I usually wear my walking boots for the entire journey and festival. We've got it down to one large bag and one small bag between us, which is all our clothes for the week and sleeping bags, leaving a couple of sets of arms free for carrying the week's refreshments! I'd rather have a couple of spare t-shirts or boxers in the bag rather than lugging a pair of size 11 trainers to Somerset!

I don't really understand the walking boots thing. If it's muddy then surely you need wellies, otherwise all the mud would get in the laces and seep into your socks. I have a good pair of walking boots but they wouldn't be up to the job of a Glasto mudbath. On the flip side, if it's dry why would you want o be wearing heavy walking boots all the time?

I can see that there's a specific window in which they might be a useful, but for me that makes them not worth taking.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rubick said:

My partner and I try to carry the bare minimum with us across to Glastonbury - I usually wear my walking boots for the entire journey and festival. We've got it down to one large bag and one small bag between us, which is all our clothes for the week and sleeping bags, leaving a couple of sets of arms free for carrying the week's refreshments! I'd rather have a couple of spare t-shirts or boxers in the bag rather than lugging a pair of size 11 trainers to Somerset!

Boots all the way then. Unless it looks like a repeat of '17 or '10

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

As much as i'd love to believe a good forecast for the festival, there is absolutely no way they can be predicting with any confidence how much rain will be falling on particular days. 

At this far out we could still have 5 days of wall to wall sunshine or 5 days of rain, it's still all to play for.

1 minute ago, bigfurbdogg said:

As much as i'd love to believe a good forecast for the festival, there is absolutely no way they can be predicting with any confidence how much rain will be falling on particular days. 

At this far out we could still have 5 days of wall to wall sunshine or 5 days of rain, it's still all to play for.

I know....but this thread would be way less good at distracting me from thesis writing if we played by those very sensible rules

1 minute ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Spot on. I wouldn't believe anything until the weekend before and even then depending on conditions things often change.