The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It didn't rain much at all.  If you can't see how it could have been much worse, then you probably didn't go in 1997, 1998 or 2007.

You are correct, I started in 2010 so my frame of reference for how bad it can get is slightly skewed. 

Sticky mud can still do one.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:21 PM, T-Mouse said:

Potential Hot Take

Constant Rain during the festival > 2016s conditions with constant Rain in the build up to the festival. 

Never want to experience 2016s mud ever again. Truly horrific stuff. I'd take being pissed on all weekend over that shit every day of the week.

Were you there in 2007? As far as I'm concerned you couldn't be more wrong.

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, Glasto8 said:

I was there is 07 and 16. 16 was worse for me. Being rained on was grim, but you could still get about. The sticky mud is the worst.

It was still muddy in 2007, especially on the Sunday.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:25 PM, T-Mouse said:

I must also concede that I wasn't there in 07. A mate who was said it was relentless but still felt 16 took the biscuit. I reckon the closest I've come to a full washout was 2011, which brightened up considerably on the Saturday but was a bit of a slog for the first two thirds of the fest. That's probably making me feel the way I do until I have to endure a proper washout.

Which obviously won't be this year .... :ph34r:

Just seen this reply.  Ignore my later question.

5 minutes ago, Mark Doran said:

However bad the weather has been, let's be grateful: at least it's never snowed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48183306

One year giant, golf ball sized hail stones were threatened as part of a thunder storm (maybe in 2005)- fortunately never came to pass! Imagine the devastation those would wreak on our tents and faces! 

3 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Statistically you're most likely to be living in China or India. 

Reminds me of that old Tommy Cooper joke:

”Statistically one in five people in the world are Chinese. In my family there’s me, my mum, my dad, my brother Alan and my sister Mei-Ling. I think it’s Alan.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Reminds me of that old Tommy Cooper joke:

”Statistically one in five people in the world are Chinese. In my family there’s me, my mum, my dad, my brother Alan and my sister Mei-Ling. I think it’s Alan.”

My dad used to use that line - I'm one of 6 kids and he was always asking which one of us was Chinese.

So.. pretty grim reading across most of the long range forecasts this week.  (Dis)Honourable mention goes to Accuweather for this absolute whopper - 

eek.jpg

The general consensus at this point suggests a wet few weeks for the southwest, with thunder storms in June.

Let's hope that these forecasts are the outliers and there's better to come.

Edited by Kinkyinuit

25 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

So.. pretty grim reading across most of the long range forecasts this week.  (Dis)Honourable mention goes to Accuweather for this absolute whopper - 

eek.jpg

The general consensus at this point suggests a wet few weeks for the southwest, with thunder storms in June.

Let's hope that these forecasts are the outliers and there's better to come.

How on earth is that grim? Mainly sunshine with the odd shower to cool things down? 

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

How on earth is that grim? Mainly sunshine with the odd shower to cool things down? 

It's much worse than the previous weeks forecast and there's quite a lot of rain forecast in the southwest between now and June.  

While the occasional shower is good to keep the dust down, if the water table is higher than usual then the chance of another 2016 is more likely. 

Still early days though so this mild panic is (hopefully) for nothing

5 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

It's much worse than the previous weeks forecast and there's quite a lot of rain forecast in the southwest between now and June.  

While the occasional shower is good to keep the dust down, if the water table is higher than usual then the chance of another 2016 is more likely. 

Pretty sure in 2016 it had rained all winter.

11 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

It rained almost non stop for about about 4 months before 2016. There’s no chance of that amount of rain falling in the next 7 weeks. 

Nobody panic. It will be warm, dry and sunny. 

Bank holiday here in Moscow, Victory Day, with all the big military parades. Never any rain on May 9th, cos for a mere million quid, you can send some planes up, loaded with chemicals that’ll seed the clouds, and disperse them, eliminating the risk of rain.

Now, i know it probably doesn’t sit well with the festival’s green credentials, but damn, i wish they’d take a leaf out of Putin’s book.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-spends-millions-on-cloud-seeding-technology-to-ensure-it-doesnt-rain-on-public-holiday-a7009766.html

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Bank holiday here in Moscow, Victory Day, with all the big military parades. Never any rain on May 9th, cos for a mere million quid, you can send some planes up, loaded with chemicals that’ll seed the clouds, and disperse them, eliminating the risk of rain.

Now, i know it probably doesn’t sit well with the festival’s green credentials, but damn, i wish they’d take a leaf out of Putin’s book.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-spends-millions-on-cloud-seeding-technology-to-ensure-it-doesnt-rain-on-public-holiday-a7009766.html

To raise an extra million quid, the festival would have to charge an extra what... 7 or 8 quid a ticket to guarantee no rain? Or maybe 15 quid if they've to double seed.

But this will be all of us when we see the weather forecast the week of the festival.

5cd34b6c021b4c247d7c80d4-1136-852.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

To raise an extra million quid, the festival would have to charge an extra what... 7 or 8 quid a ticket to guarantee no rain? Or maybe 15 quid if they've to double seed.

But this will be all of us when we see the weather forecast the week of the festival.

3 quid a day for blue skies and no rain? Bargain

The weather looks potentially fairly dry for the next couple of weeks other than the rain tomorrow into Saturday. high pressure moves in for a about a week and then it looks like it could turn showery, but I'm guessing showers aren't such a big issue for the water table.

I'd quite like the weather across the weekend to be low to mid 20s, few wee clouds here and there, very light breeze, light showers from time to time. Middle left from a meteorological perspective. I think. CBA with temps around 30 degrees. 

Just now, gherkin8r said:

I'd quite like the weather across the weekend to be low to mid 20s, few wee clouds here and there, very light breeze, light showers from time to time. Middle left from a meteorological perspective. I think. CBA with temps around 30 degrees. 

Agreed, the Weds in 2017 was unbearable.. not sure I could survive a whole festival of 30c+