The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

48 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

2016 was a good laugh really, all things considered it could have been a lot worse 

I suppose the mud could have been on fire but otherwise I'm struggling to see how it could have been much worse.  The only positive was that it didn't rain *that* much considering, though it meant the mud stayed welly suckingly sticky for the entire weekend.

The monday was infuriatingly gorgeous though!

Edited by Kinkyinuit

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

2016 was a good laugh really, all things considered it could have been a lot worse 

To be fair to 2016, at the start it potentially saved my festival. I jarred my knee on the Tues night and was struggling to put weight on it to the extent that I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to move around the site....the soft ground really helped loosen it back up.

I was done by late Sunday afternoon though. Utterly drained and feeling quite low. Stuck it out to see Hinds on Park and then went home. I regret it now but at the time I'd just had enough.

1 hour ago, Bags73 said:

2016 wasn't that bad for rain.  It could've been much worse.   The problem was the mud.  It made getting about a lot harder.    Here's hoping it doesn't tip it down in the week before again.  

yep, the problem in 2016 was that the ground was waterlogged from the very wet winter.

This year will be fine. Dry winter, and any rain now will be slurped up be the stuff thast's now growing madly. 

It might rain during the fest, but the ground won't be horrific.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

yep, the problem in 2016 was that the ground was waterlogged from the very wet winter.

This year will be fine. Dry winter, and any rain now will be slurped up be the stuff thast's now growing madly. 

Well that's the tshirt slogan for the efests 2020 meet sorted ?

any update on the initial graph? i tried to find the numbers myself but couldnt. 

Are we still very low on rainfall / water table? i cant believe we are almost there, my life has turned upside down in the past few months and ive not even had time to get excited. its kinda snuck up on me. 

23 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Thunder storms then

You never know! The issue with long range weather forecasting is that, from what I can tell, the accuracy is quite low. And even if the weather were predominantly warm and dry that doesn't exclude the odd bad weekend of rain! The forecasts are better once we get about 3 maybe 4 weeks away but even then it is usually very uncertain.

14 hours ago, TiZuff said:

any update on the initial graph? i tried to find the numbers myself but couldnt. 

Are we still very low on rainfall / water table? i cant believe we are almost there, my life has turned upside down in the past few months and ive not even had time to get excited. its kinda snuck up on me. 

We’ve had very little rain in SW in April. Hence dusty roads on the Glastocam.  May tends to be the crucial month - continued dry conditions will keep the watertable low. 

Obvs the nearer the time the more accurate the forecast.   So far out the models can be saying anything. 

From last year it’s clear that it can stay dry for the whole fest but if it’s sodden to begin with then it’s wellie time. 

I predict some rain and some sunshine.  2010 and 1995 stand out as the sunniest I remember and are outliers.  Same goes for 2007, 1997 and 1998.   Everything else was pretty much in-between.   

Despite all that I love this thread.   It’s like the cyber equivalent of that feeling when you’re putting your tent up and the sun comes out and the whole field starts to cheer. 

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

You never know! The issue with long range weather forecasting is that, from what I can tell, the accuracy is quite low. And even if the weather were predominantly warm and dry that doesn't exclude the odd bad weekend of rain! The forecasts are better once we get about 3 maybe 4 weeks away but even then it is usually very uncertain.

I generally agree. Though the claim that European hot air (or something) is going to move over the UK and sit their for two months gains credibility with me, based on the fact that that's what happened last year (I think).

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

Sadly the forecasts are only ever good about 2 days before the day you are wanting.

years of experience has taught me that :)

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I rather have it like 2016 underfoot but dry during the 5 days than dry to start and then all the rain. I didn’t think 16 was that bad you just had to accept it took you twice as long to get around and politely tell your mates to do one when they suggest leaving JP to go and see a dj in the park on Sunday afternoon 

17 hours ago, eFestivals said:

True. If the ground gets really baked hard and then there is a 2005-esq storm it could be bad. But the improved drainage should mitigate that. What we don't want is 2007 weather where it just did not stop raining throughout the festival. 

1 hour ago, Barneym said:

I rather have it like 2016 underfoot but dry during the 5 days than dry to start and then all the rain. I didn’t think 16 was that bad you just had to accept it took you twice as long to get around and politely tell your mates to do one when they suggest leaving JP to go and see a dj in the park on Sunday afternoon 

2016 was awful but I’ve yet to experience it pouring down for 5 straight days. I hated walking in that 2016 mud it was draining 

18 hours ago, TiZuff said:

Met office haven't released the April stats yet.

Am planning to do a new graph this weekend. Found a few hobbyists in the SW who collect rainfall data so will be able to get a wider data set.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I still remember mates of mine coming home from Glastonbury 1998 and telling me how bad it was and until I saw it on TV I didn't quite get what they were saying. 

I think there were clips from a band on the Other stage (might have been Catatonia) and seeing just rivers of mud soup!

From my years of going 2007 was defiantly very hard work from the Friday morning onwards....

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I still remember mates of mine coming home from Glastonbury 1998 and telling me how bad it was and until I saw it on TV I didn't quite get what they were saying. 

For me, 1997 was much worse than 1998. In '97 the mud was thick and heavy and deep, but in '98 it was thin and sloshy and shallow.

It probably looked much worse in '98 but it was a lot easier to get around.

My memories of 2016 must be screwed then because I don't remember the weather being at all bad or there being significant amounts of mud...

2007 was completely horrific for me. It even had sideways rain.

9 minutes ago, mcmenace said:

My memories of 2016 must be screwed then because I don't remember the weather being at all bad or there being significant amounts of mud...

2007 was completely horrific for me. It even had sideways rain.

If you don’t remember significant amounts of mud in 2016 then your memories are most definitely screwed.

Edited by Bradders

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Glasto 2007 in 30 seconds. 5 days of this.

It still makes me shudder. Relentless rain. And I live in Manchester!

Edited by mcmenace

21 minutes ago, DesperateDad said:

I haven't had chance to get into the API detail but this looks pretty darn local for rainfall tracking

https://environment.data.gov.uk/flood-monitoring/assets/demo/index.html

52224 is the rainfall station just east of Shepton Mallet

That's brilliant.  Looks like the SW had less than 40mm of rain last month.  Very promising.