The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

I agree - lucky enough I was able to cool down under these two fridge trucks when not on duty - I have a cancer controlling implant that can cause serious problems if I overheat so would never have got though the weekend without those fridge trucks in 2010.

2010-wbc-19.thumb.jpg.07ed942a888c4c5cab3409046fcadac2.jpg

Blimey - glad you survived. Makes my struggles with the odd hangover seem a little trivial!

21 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Which source is this from? That's quite different to what was just posted on the previous page

Yep...ask 10 different forecasters and you will get 10 different answers. With age comes the experience to know even today forecasters cannot predict the weather beyond a week. Every forecast is full of caveats. Worst of the lot are the newspapers predicting heatwave or storms  from hell in the hope of increasing sales. What happened to the 6 week April/May heatwave we should all be enjoying ? 

10 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Yep...ask 10 different forecasters and you will get 10 different answers. With age comes the experience to know even today forecasters cannot predict the weather beyond a week. Every forecast is full of caveats. Worst of the lot are the newspapers predicting heatwave or storms  from hell in the hope of increasing sales. What happened to the 6 week April/May heatwave we should all be enjoying ? 

Speculation all part of the fun.

Apart from in the run up to 2016. That speculation made for some grim, grim reading

5 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I've never heard of such a device before--what exactly does it do? 

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Blimey - glad you survived. Makes my struggles with the odd hangover seem a little trivial!

I had prostate cancer and they were trying out a new implant - ' They claim it slows down cancer by hormone therapy and stopping the production of testosterone ' - but the implant used to be given every week so some joker thought they would save the NHS money by increasing the dose so it only had to be given every 4 weeks and then another Joker thought he had a bright idea and they made the dose higher so the implant only has to be given every 12 weeks !!! - I would like to meet that joker as it can affect more than 1 in 10 people - the side effect is  altered levels of consciousness. { in other words Blackouts } 

they also claim ' these side effects may continue for some time (possibly months) after stopping '

well its been years and I am still affected - As far as I am aware ' they don't give such a high dose any longer .

Its just a way so that patients don't appear on any waiting list - I had to wait over two years to get daily Radiotherapy - 

each time I think it has gone away ' Bang ' - last time I was sitting on my local Bus - and just blacked out and fell off the seat { and no I was not drunk } - the poor driver thought I had dropped down dead - I was 100% out - woke up with the driver trying to shake me and all the rest of the passengers looking down. 

I am very reluctant to get on a hot tube - I have a card on me to warn people its a side effect.

So no way will I be soaking in the sun but ' they claim I am in remission ' { have to wait 5 years and if my PSA stays at the same amount they may tell me I am Cancer free # although I have never met anyone who had Cancer ever to be told they are Cancer free #   as you can see its not a normal needle

- its a implant  { its claimed the drug will release over 12 weeks }
Implantsyringe.thumb.jpg.1232d849321275ed95738453d6377217.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tumbles said:

I doubt weather 2 days before it arrives, never mind 2 months.  Click bait season is underway for the tabloids. 

Every summer tabloids tell us we're due a 3month long heatwave, and every winter we're in for 2ft of snow. I'm sure they have the same two articles and change the dates each year

6 hours ago, Homer said:

Sounds a nightmare - well done on fighting through. Hope it gets better!

well I stay away from hot bars - that bar next to the other stage gets so hot ' we have fried eggs on the metal counter ' when it was quiet - these days I stick to working in the crew Bar { with the two fridge trucks } - best spot if its scorching.

Just read an online tabloid running two separate weather items for May. First says "Spanish Plume Heatwave 6 weeks".....second says "Bank Holiday Washout followed by slightly cooler  than average"  ..... We've no chance - only sensible thing they said was "It will be colder up north and warmer down south"   ffs

On 4/5/2019 at 12:53 PM, Keithy said:

Time for a graph.

Rainfall.PNG.091de9ccc7a1155632d4016ee84dcd62.PNG

Rainfall in mm, per month for the last few years. Data covers the South West rather than just Worthy Farm as that's the only data I can get my hands on at the moment. I've missed out fallow years and included 2007 (a wet one) for comparison.

In terms of this year, we're nowhere near 2016 (pink line). By this stage, huge amounts of rain has fallen in Jan, Feb and March so the water table was very high and the ground saturated, which is never recovered from. You'll recall Download was a mudfest too. Similarly 2007 was a wet start to the year though dropped off quickly as was 2014 (another muddy year).

We're tracking below 2017 and currently the driest start to the year since 2010.

If I can find some more location specific data, that will give us a better idea of how higher rainfall at the start of the year affects Glastonbury more specifically.

Thanks for doing that, good to see.