The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

6 minutes ago, dccool said:

Read this morning we have a 900 mile wide Spanish plume coming up starting this bank holiday which is going to give us a 2 month heatwave lasting until the end of June......

????

That's the spirit. A repeat of these scenes please. There's nothing quite like the scene of festival goers competing for shade.

glastonbury_festival_026.jpg?w=620

glastonbury_festival_052.jpg?w=620

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

A gardener told me today that we aren't getting rain for 3 months.  

I don't know what his sources are but I'll take it

11 minutes ago, dccool said:

Read this morning we have a 900 mile wide Spanish plume coming up starting this bank holiday which is going to give us a 2 month heatwave lasting until the end of June......

????

This is all marvellous. As long as the end of June actually means the end!

More predictions from gardeners is precisely what this thread needs ?

1 hour ago, rubick said:

You'd think that in order to get 2016 levels of slop it would need to have been raining constantly for a couple of months. Think it'll be grand underfoot even if it isn't sunny all week.

Yours ever,

J Kettley

And as an explanation for our younger viewers .... 

• Upvote 1

For those interested in the forecasts in the run up to the festival, Netweather have a pretty lively forum of folk who care as much about the weather as we do about Glastonbury.

Current outlook for the next couple of weeks is pretty unsettled with things improving during the middle of May by the looks of things. Good news in terms of the build.

A warning going forward however, the weather is extremely changeable so anything in reality over 48 hours in advance should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

Having said that the weather thread is definitely one of my favourites in the run up to a festival so embrace the rollercoaster all :)

23 minutes ago, faymondo said:

As I have said weather in the run up is just as important so good to keep an eye on things on this thread.

While that's definitely true, it's worth remembering that the thresholds in the run up are far more generous than during the festival itself. Unless it's an obscene amount falling all at once like in 2016, a few rainy days isn't a disaster. It's only an issue if it hits flood levels or becomes persistent and saturates the land.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Bloody hell - I'm okay with heat but that was a bit too much!

I agree - lucky enough I was able to cool down under these two fridge trucks when not on duty - I have a cancer controlling implant that can cause serious problems if I overheat so would never have got though the weekend without those fridge trucks in 2010.

2010-wbc-19.thumb.jpg.07ed942a888c4c5cab3409046fcadac2.jpg

36 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

I agree - lucky enough I was able to cool down under these two fridge trucks when not on duty - I have a cancer controlling implant that can cause serious problems if I overheat so would never have got though the weekend without those fridge trucks in 2010.

2010-wbc-19.thumb.jpg.07ed942a888c4c5cab3409046fcadac2.jpg

I've never heard of such a device before--what exactly does it do? 

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That and the fact that your toes could get stamped on in a crowd.

Or you could cut your foot on a can as I did wearing flip flops in 2010. But if that's the price I have to pay for sunshine, then I'm willing to pay it. PS please could everyone please discard their rubbish appropriately thanks.