The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So you're saying welly wearers are the anti-vaxxers of Glastonbury?

They're the slow people walking two abreast on a narrow pavement of Glastonbury.  And also probably a bunch of highly-suspect gammons.

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Wellies do it for me too Mr Tease. Loving your work on this thread. Boots have their time of course. But Glasters at its worst will dominate the best of yer boots, gaters or otherwise. 

Then we've yet to have that Glastonbury.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1998 was too wet for boots.

Talking of 1998 - that was the last time that we had similar February temperatures to those experienced this year. But remember - There is no pattern! 

Oh, and it's boots all the way. Wellies are only of any use when walking through liquid or unpleasant stuff - manure, sewage, wet concrete. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Because welly-wearers can't walk as quickly due to lack of ankle support and fear of boot-loss they create more congestion and bottlenecks across the site, delaying the fleet of foot boot-wearers from getting anywhere quickly.  

In fact, even causing this boot-wearer to nearly miss the start of ZZ Top and meaning I always had to be the one to go to the bar cos none of the twats could move anywhere quickly.

This is patently untrue - in the event of a bottle neck, welly wearers can wade out into the muddy swamps by the side of the grated paths (see the route between west holts and t'other stage), while boot wearers are stuck and crushed like Jon Snow in the Battle of the Bastards, thus actually REDUCING the bottle neck. We were greeted as gods in 2007- I felt like the queen riding through London in her golden carriage. 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

This is patently untrue - in the event of a bottle neck, welly wearers can wade out into the muddy swamps by the side of the grated paths (see the route between west holts and t'other stage), while boot wearers are stuck and crushed like Jon Snow in the Battle of the Bastards, thus actually REDUCING the bottle neck. We were greeted as gods in 2007- I felt like the queen riding through London in her golden carriage. 

Not quite true, welly wearers get their wellies stuck and can’t move. I remember having to go and pull three people out of the section between the old jp and dance village. I was wearing boots so could pull my feet out of the mud but the wellies we just stuck in the mud

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Then we've yet to have that Glastonbury.

This.  2011 and 2016 are the 2 mudiest in recent memory for me.  I've seen more kinds of mud than there are eskimo words for snow in my time on the farm and boots have never let me down.  Last time I wore wellies they were red with yellow soles and went well with my duffle coat.

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 11:54 PM, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Walking boots, and if it’s muddy like 2016,  Velcro gators as well. No muddy laces. How anyones  feet can endure the distances involved in a full Glastonbury whilst wearing wellies baffles me. 

Do any gaiters completely cover the laces?  The ones I’ve looked at seem to just go over the ankle and above leaving the laces exposed and defeating the object?  I can’t wear wellies my poor feet have been ripped to shreds on my previous Glastos 

1 minute ago, Glasto peaches said:

Do any gaiters completely cover the laces?  The ones I’ve looked at seem to just go over the ankle and above leaving the laces exposed and defeating the object?  I can’t wear wellies my poor feet have been ripped to shreds on my previous Glastos 

Mine do.  I think they’re Trespass ones from Mountain Warehouse

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Glasto peaches said:

Trespass Gaiters cover the entire area of my boots that I would be unlacing... there may be some mud on the very lowest part of the boot lace, but you never unlace these bits anyway. In fact on my boots you can’t. I just hosed down boots and gaiters when I got home in 2016, dried them gradually and redubbined the boots. Good as new.

4 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Trespass Gaiters cover the entire area of my boots that I would be unlacing... there may be some mud on the very lowest part of the boot lace, but you never unlace these bits anyway. In fact on my boots you can’t. I just hosed down boots and gaiters when I got home in 2016, dried them gradually and redubbined the boots. Good as new.

Just ordered some. Let’s hope I don’t need them ☝️

Edited by Glasto peaches

53 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

A gardener told me today that we aren't getting rain for 3 months.  

I don't know what his sources are but I'll take it

It's good to have such conclusive proof so early! can Neil now close this years weather thread?

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

It's good to have such conclusive proof so early! can Neil now close this years weather thread?

I know, right? To be honest I don't think I'll even look at a weather report now.

50 minutes ago, rubick said:

You'd think that in order to get 2016 levels of slop it would need to have been raining constantly for a couple of months

Pretty much. The start of 2016 was extremely wet as well so the water table never had a chance to lower.

So far 2019 has been very dry and quite warm so we're on track for great ground conditions this year

6 minutes ago, dccool said:

Read this morning we have a 900 mile wide Spanish plume coming up starting this bank holiday which is going to give us a 2 month heatwave lasting until the end of June......

????

No idea what this means but am fully onboard.