The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

I swear you walking boots people are just paid social media influencers, sponsored by the walking boot industry! Wellies are more water tight with a higher bootline allowing you to wade through even the deepest of Glastonbury swamps and pooled water without fear of leakage. They last decades and have no laces so no need to worry about laces coming undone or fusing together in treacherous conditions. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Cooter said:

Thanks dccool, fingers crossed.

Actually I must add, more recently I've been wearing these so not strictly wellies, yes they look a bit clumpy and smurfy but just as good as wellies and a bit more comfy, they're furry inside and easy to slip on and off. Cheap enough, surprisingly lightweight,  and they come in black also.

Take note power walkers, no laces!!

https://www.shoezone.com/Products/Earth-Works-Tan-Leather-Safety-Boots-55804

If you want something similar but a bit more comfortable and with a better fit, take a look at waterproof police / tactical boots with a side zip. You get the benefit of a snug fit and they're a bit nicer to get on and off when covered in mud. I have a pair of these (albeit I paid a lot less than that), and while not perfect I've found it to be the best compromise so far - something approaching the comfort of walking boots, with some of the convenience and extra protection of wellies.

Although I've not tested them in conditions as bad as Glastonbury 2007/16 yet so could yet be proven a fool.

I've had wellies and muck boots but am now converted to walking boots.

The wellies I had were really comfy but an absolute ball ache to take off, particularly when covered in mud. Eventually they cracked in several places and were no use anymore. 

The muck boots were as waterproof as wellies, easy to take off but sweaty as Hell when it got hot, also kept getting sucked off (matron) when walking through thick mud.

Walking boots are comfy, stay on through the thick mud and easy to take off. The only down side is if faced with a massive, deep puddle but there's always a way round that. I can only see an issue if faced with 2007 conditions. 

I also take sandals and I'm sure they will suffice this year.

5 hours ago, Spindles said:

Yes! Sounds perfect.

Also much like with The Thingy, I enjoy the fact that there is no pattern:

"If you look at last year, a colder than average spring did bring a warmer than average summer, but there is no set pattern to that"

23 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The wellies I had were really comfy but an absolute ball ache to take off, particularly when covered in mud. Eventually they cracked in several places and were no use anymore. 

The muck boots were as waterproof as wellies, easy to take off but sweaty as Hell when it got hot, also kept getting sucked off (matron) when walking through thick mud.

Walking boots are comfy, stay on through the thick mud and easy to take off. The only down side is if faced with a massive, deep puddle but there's always a way round that. I can only see an issue if faced with 2007 conditions. 

I would hope the drainage they have put in since prevents ground conditions like those in 2007 :) is that the year the other stage was a lake ? 

glasto07 033.jpg

Hmm- a FB memory popped up yesterday with me commenting on a lovely sunny Easter in 2016 after I did the same yesterday- hopefully not a prediction of similar weather come June as 2016! 

However I have also bought new pair of wellies so that might mean no mud this year ! 

Who knows- there is no pattern?

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Sad to see you've succumbed to anti-wellyism. The removal technique is:

1) sit at tent entrance 

2) place less dominant foot on top edge of inner dominant foot, push, loosening welly but not fully removing welly. 

3) Place loosened welly dominant foot on top edge of inner non dominant foot, push, loosening foot free of welly BUT do not remove foot from welly shaft yet! 

4) place welly shaft with foot in it on top edge of loosened other foot and push until other foot fully removed from welly

5) remove remaining foot from welly shaft

6) laugh at walking boots wearers who were unable to traverse the deep swamp you went straight through, and are now having to saw their fused laces off with a house key (my friends fate in 2007)

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

1) sit at tent entrance 

2) place less dominant foot on top edge of inner dominant foot, push, loosening welly but not fully removing welly. 

3) Place loosened welly dominant foot on top edge of inner non dominant foot, push, loosening foot free of welly BUT do not remove foot from welly shaft yet! 

4) place welly shaft with foot in it on top edge of loosened other foot and push until other foot fully removed from welly

6) laugh at walking boots wearers who were unable to traverse the deep swamp you went straight through, and are now having to saw their fused laces off with a house key (my friends fate in 2007)

How the fook am I supposed to remember all that at 2am when I've been drinking since breakfast? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have to admit, I did wear wellies in 2007 and didn't regret it. Similarly,  I wore boots in 2016 and had fewer regrets. Seeing my welly wearing friends lose their footwear in the sticky mud vindicated my decision. 

This is what did it for me. My muck boots and mate's wellies being pulled off on regular occasions, son was wearing walking boots and just strode though it all, no bother.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

1) sit at tent entrance 

tumblr_inline_o67uxsKaKP1smf8d8_540.gif

• Upvote 1

Because welly-wearers can't walk as quickly due to lack of ankle support and fear of boot-loss they create more congestion and bottlenecks across the site, delaying the fleet of foot boot-wearers from getting anywhere quickly.  

In fact, even causing this boot-wearer to nearly miss the start of ZZ Top and meaning I always had to be the one to go to the bar cos none of the twats could move anywhere quickly.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Because welly-wearers can't walk as quickly due to lack of ankle support and fear of boot-loss they create more congestion and bottlenecks across the site, delaying the fleet of foot boot-wearers from getting anywhere quickly.  

In fact, even causing this boot-wearer to nearly miss the start of ZZ Top and meaning I always had to be the one to go to the bar cos none of the twats could move anywhere quickly.

So you're saying welly wearers are the anti-vaxxers of Glastonbury?