The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I'd even be happy if someone could remind me what winter 2016/17 was like..  I'm sure I recall more frost

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2017/winter

apart from Doris, mild and useless winter - rather like the one we've just had. So, we're absolutely certain to have a scorcher.

7 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2017/winter

apart from Doris, mild and useless winter - rather like the one we've just had. So, we're absolutely certain to have a scorcher.

Thank you, that is precisely what I wanted to hear :)

Edited by Sasperella

50 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I've caught myself looking at the Met Officer's page on "interesting" past weather events. Not only does there not appear to be a pattern, but I suspect the fact that I'm doing this at all means I've gone a bit mad....

yes ... along with many others on here ... and myself :) 

6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Is it too early to be considering ground conditions? I dont want another 2016. 

I’d say the three week period prior to the festival is when to get worried about the ground. 2016 was severely affected by the constant rain in that period. I remember in 2011 the ground was able to recover during the festival after a muddy start because the ground wasn’t pre-soaked. I’ll certainly be monitoring the weather in the build up as closely as the ever changing forecast for the festival itself.

11 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Is it too early to be considering ground conditions? I dont want another 2016. 

I'm scared of a 2007. And I wasn't even there!!! 

1 minute ago, Charm said:

I didn’t really mind 2016, mud is so much easier to deal with than constant rain, that is what I dread, can anyone remember when the last rainy festival was as I’m sure we must be due one. 

Charm x

Agreed....it does seem a while. My first year was 2014 and it rained a bit, but it was mostly fine I thought. Easily doable. 

When does this thread really kick in? Surely after balance payment deadline it's no longer mental to admit to freaking out about the weather?

7 minutes ago, Charm said:

I didn’t really mind 2016, mud is so much easier to deal with than constant rain, that is what I dread, can anyone remember when the last rainy festival was as I’m sure we must be due one. 

Charm x

I'd say 2009 and 2011 had their wet moments. Some great thundery storms in 2009, but not continuous rain. 2011 was wet to start, IIRC the Friday was particularly wet, bone dry by Sunday though. If it were not for the pre-soaking in 2016 I think the ground would have recovered by the Sunday too. 

22 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I'd say 2009 and 2011 had their wet moments. Some great thundery storms in 2009, but not continuous rain. 2011 was wet to start, IIRC the Friday was particularly wet, bone dry by Sunday though. If it were not for the pre-soaking in 2016 I think the ground would have recovered by the Sunday too. 

Oh dear, so long ago, we are definately due a rainy festival that’s for sure. 

Charm x

20 minutes ago, Charm said:

Oh dear, so long ago, we are definately due a rainy festival that’s for sure. 

Charm x

I did think that when typing, however I missed 13/14 and I think it rained a bit then too.

I think we are surely still in credit with the weather gods for the 2016 clogfest. Fingers crossed!

6 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I did think that when typing, however I missed 13/14 and I think it rained a bit then too.

I think we are surely still in credit with the weather gods for the 2016 clogfest. Fingers crossed!

Definitely.  The only completely dry festivals in the last decade were 2010 and 2017 (bar a little shower).  We are definitely owed a mostly dry one!

• Upvote 1

since 2010 - just 2010 and 2017 were no mud at all.

2016 had a couple of dry bits but had a lot that "fine rain that soaks you through".
2011 - wet at start - we had the amazing transformation from thin to thick to plasticine mud
Other years since 2010 have been a mixture but none totally dry.

2019 is going to be more 2017 than 2016 - that's for sure!!!