The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Is there a way of filtering out people who say this on these forums? Or maybe even remotely destroying their tickets like a Banksy?

At least keep it to the one moronic, well past it's sell-by date joke thread so the others can easily avoid it.

You're on a weather thread 260 days before an event takes place.  You expect sense?

On 10/8/2018 at 1:25 PM, bombfrog said:

Is there a way of filtering out people who say this on these forums? Or maybe even remotely destroying their tickets like a Banksy?

At least keep it to the one moronic, well past it's sell-by date joke thread so the others can easily avoid it.

No ticket then?

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2019 at 8:04 PM, gherkin8r said:

Wasn't there some lad Jack1 or something that used to a weather blog from way out and pretended he knew what was going on? I used to be furiously f5ing in work about a month out waiting for the latest.

Jackone was rather tragically arrested and sectioned under the mental health act. When the police kicked down his door they found him shrieking like a gibbon while boiling his mothers brains in her own skull.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Madyaker said:

2016 all over again????

I'm really glad I went for mountain boots instead of wellies that year. Lost count of how many wellies I saw lost in the mud.

(PS: What's with old bald white men reverting to sex jokes at every opportunity?)

7 hours ago, faymondo said:

The weather in the run up to the festival is just as important as the actual 5 days in my opinion. I wonder what the rainfall stats are so far this winter ? 

Definitely below average. I know this because horses that like soft ground are being held back from running! This is vital above all else!

• 1 month later...

The Met Office released their latest three-month forecast for contingency planners  here! yesterday, so a good time to revive this thread!

First, their caveat: 

The 3-month outlook provides useful information on the possible conditions averaged over the UK for a one-month and three-month period. However, the science, as yet, does not allow any outlook to provide specific detail on, for example, the number of nights of frost, days of rain or snow or the amounts of rain or snow we may see during the period. Nor will it highlight when specifically within the period severe weather may occur....

...This outlook provides an indication of possible temperature and rainfall conditions over the next 3 months...

...The outlook should not be used in isolation but should be used with shorter range and more detailed (30-day, 15-day and 1-5 day) forecasts and warnings...

And the summary of the temperature and precip outlooks:

SUMMARY – TEMPERATURE:
For April and April-May-June as a whole, above-average temperatures are more likely than below-average temperatures.Overall, the probability that the UK-average temperature for April-May-June will fall into the coldest of our five categories is 5%, and the probability that it will fall into the warmest of our five categories is 45% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is 20%).

SUMMARY – PRECIPITATION:
For April and April-May-June as a whole, below-average precipitation is slightly more likely than above-average precipitation. The probability that UK-average precipitation for April-May-June will fall into the driest of our five categories is between 20% and 25% and the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is between 15% and 20% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is 20%).

So yeah, definitely going to be warm and rain a bit, but not too much yeah?

I was wondering when this thread would rear its head. Mainly because I wanted to do it myself but was worried I would seem crazy for worrying about the weather already ....

This winter was definitely dryer than 2015/2016 winter. We don't even need stats for that. So water table low. Very good. 

But that thing my Grandma always says about "if you get a harsh winter you get a good summer" seemed pretty accurate last year, does it work the other way round too? The mildness of the winter has worried me. Anyone recall what winter 2006/2007 was like? Because that entire summer was grim

Although yeh, ThereIsNoWeatherPattern

I'd even be happy if someone could remind me what winter 2016/17 was like..  I'm sure I recall more frost